Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 PM

26 posts, read 98,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, I may be moving to the West Palm Beach area for a job in WPB itself. I currently live in the Quad Cities (IA/IL border community). Other than a steep increase in cost of living, any comments, suggestions, recommendations? Will it be hard to find a place to rent with a cat? dog? Is it a bicycle friendly area? Any bad neighborhoods (gang run, violent, super loud-party oriented). Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 05:25 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,298,528 times
When you say you're taking a job "in WPB itself"... where, exactly, do you mean by "in WPB itself"? Downtown?

Basically, it is nice to live downtown, but stay in the area between about Southern Blvd and Clematis to avoid the really trashy areas that are in the process of being gentrified. You may also find good deals in "The Villages" in West Palm Beach. If you can take the traffic during rush hour into downtown, look to Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter. I have found that some of the more upscale condos downtown have pet restrictions (dogs, usually, with weight limits), but most places are pretty pet friendly.

If you want to run a specific area by me, feel free to do so!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,948,825 times
get ready for absolute culture shock in every facet of your life!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Culture shock? I think that's a given moving just about ANYWHERE in the country from the Midwest, dontcha think?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 98,833 times
Thanks. I also lived in NJ (southern portion but drove to Jersey City/New York a lot for work) for a number of years and I lived in MS for awhile as well. Culture shock can be good; crime is not.

What about the Boynton Beach area?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM

I've never been to Boynton Beach, but I know it does have a reputation for crime (not necessarily murder... only about one of those a year, lol)

My advice would be to check out Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Royal Palm Beach.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:16 PM

yes wellington, palm beach gardens and jupiter and extremely nice and close to WPB but they are really really expensive areas. there are some nice rentals in palm beach gardens on and off pga blvd that are prolly around $1000/month or more, not sure. boynton can be nice, depends on where. u have to visit and see if u like the area, it is very very different here...thats all i can say.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,226,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedgemouse View Post
Hi, I may be moving to the West Palm Beach area for a job in WPB itself. I currently live in the Quad Cities (IA/IL border community). Other than a steep increase in cost of living, any comments, suggestions, recommendations? Will it be hard to find a place to rent with a cat? dog? Is it a bicycle friendly area? Any bad neighborhoods (gang run, violent, super loud-party oriented). Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.
Considering West Palm Beach is the 14th most dangerous city in the U.S., yes they're are bad neighborhoods.

No, unless you live in a gated community in the western unincorporated part of the city, is is NOT bike friendly. A lot of people get hit on bikes here by cars if you are biking around the city, and yes the actual city is very unsafe. Unless you can afford a nice house in the unincorporated part out west or in Wellington and deal with suburban idiots who think they're better than you it is not recommended out west, and in the main city you will have to deal with gangs and high crime rates. In fact in my neighborhood in West Palm Beach everyone has bars on their windows and no one really goes out at night. We have had three shootings on our street or near it this year alone and helicopters over our house due to shootings.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,226,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I've never been to Boynton Beach, but I know it does have a reputation for crime (not necessarily murder... only about one of those a year, lol)

My advice would be to check out Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Royal Palm Beach.
What are you talking about, only one murder in Boynton Beach a year? There were several murders and shootings in Boynton Beach this year alone and we are only in May.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 PM

the boynton beach mall got shot up on christmas eve last year...few killed i believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach