U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 AM

159 posts, read 433,432 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted a PRN position at a hospital in West Palm Beach and will not be living there at this time but if I decide to take a full-time job there in the future was just wondering what area would be a safe place for children. Is there alot to do there as far as entertainment for kids? We like swimming, roller skating, water parks, parks, beaches. What about schools there? Just throwing this out there in case I decide to move there. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,615,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
I have just accepted a PRN position at a hospital in West Palm Beach and will not be living there at this time but if I decide to take a full-time job there in the future was just wondering what area would be a safe place for children. Is there alot to do there as far as entertainment for kids? We like swimming, roller skating, water parks, parks, beaches. What about schools there? Just throwing this out there in case I decide to move there. Thanks in advance for any help.
The Southend of West Palm Beach (South of Okeechobee Blvd., East of I-95) is the best area for families IN West Palm Beach, IMO. In particular, between Okeechobee Blvd. and Belvdere, you want to be East of Parker Avenue, and then South of Belvedere you want to be East of Dixie. South Olive Elementary is highly regarded.

Otherwise, there are the suburbs.... Jupiter, Wellington, etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, Central PBC is very close to the ocean, pools, skate parks, BMX bike parks, paddle boating and rowing, ice rink, roller rink, a water park, etc. etc.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The Southend of West Palm Beach (South of Okeechobee Blvd., East of I-95) is the best area for families IN West Palm Beach, IMO.

Otherwise, there are the suburbs.... Jupiter, Wellington, etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, Central PBC is very close to the ocean, pools, skate parks, BMX bike parks, paddle boating and rowing, ice rink, roller rink, a water park, etc. etc.
OK thanks, do you happen to know any apt. complexes in that area? Is there not an ocean in WBP? I will be there soon and can see for myself but was just wondering before I get there.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
OK thanks, do you happen to know any apt. complexes in that area? Is there not an ocean in WBP? I will be there soon and can see for myself but was just wondering before I get there.
Technically, no. But you just cross the river and you get to the Island of Palm Beach, and you're at the ocean.

I live in the area described above and I am 2 miles from the ocean.

As for apartments, what is your budget? Apartments are not cheap in the area, and many that exist outside the city limits (in the unincorporated area that technically isnt WPB, but gets a WPB address) are sketchy.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Technically, no. But you just cross the river and you get to the Island of Palm Beach, and you're at the ocean.

I live in the area described above and I am 2 miles from the ocean.

As for apartments, what is your budget? Apartments are not cheap in the area, and many that exist outside the city limits (in the unincorporated area that technically isnt WPB, but gets a WPB address) are sketchy.
I would like to stay around 1100 a month for 3 bedroom but don't know if that's possible there. Seems to be a higher cost of living but I will be making really good money there. I like to have money to do other things as well as drive a really nice car. I would rather pay more and be in a nice area though. I guess the best thing is just to come down and drive around and look.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,241,234 times
Quote:
Wellington has a water park, pool, parks and roller blading rings. You'll have to drive to go to the beach, takes me 15-20 minutes on Sundays to get to the beach via Southern Blvd. Wellington would be your best choice for schools too and it's very family oriented with plenty of things for kids.

Just make sure the salary cuts it, not sure where you live now? A lot of people are shocked when they see their bills go up for things like Car Insurance, Utilities and etc. Also suggest you visit and get a feel for the area, not really going feel the same as living here but it's a start.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,063,418 times
Like you mentioned Rainbow, the best thing you can do is come down for a week or two and scope out the area. Research the schools for yourself Schools in Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, FL.
The School District of Palm Beach County
From there make a decision for yourself.
For a 3/2 at 1100 it may be tough, but by no means impossible.
I think you'll find many communities have pools. Unless you go way West most parts of PBC are within a 10-15 minute drive of the ocean. There are lots of good trails and parks throughout the area.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Like you mentioned Rainbow, the best thing you can do is come down for a week or two and scope out the area. Research the schools for yourself Schools in Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, FL.
The School District of Palm Beach County
From there make a decision for yourself.
For a 3/2 at 1100 it may be tough, but by no means impossible.
I think you'll find many communities have pools. Unless you go way West most parts of PBC are within a 10-15 minute drive of the ocean. There are lots of good trails and parks throughout the area.
Thanks for the info. What about restaurant jobs for my husband? He is a cook but will start as dishwasher or whatever to get his foot in the door. Is job situation good or bad there. How far is Wellington from Good Sam hospital in WPB? I can't wait to get there and check out the area. Anyone know anything about Indian Trace Apts or Azalae Village? They are in my price range but not able to find much out about their ratings. We like the ocean but don't have to be super close as long as it's within 30minutes or so. Pics I've seen online of WPB look really nice. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or comments.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM

I would "no go" both Indian Trace and Azalea Village.

In your price range, you can find townhomes and apartments in much better areas.

Check out homes in Palm Beach Gardens, and Royal Palm Beach, which are suburbs of West Palm. Something like this might be a good find if it's legit: http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/1402901410.html (broken link) (Palm Beach Gardens)

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I would "no go" both Indian Trace and Azalea Village.

In your price range, you can find townhomes and apartments in much better areas.

Check out homes in Palm Beach Gardens, and Royal Palm Beach, which are suburbs of West Palm. Something like this might be a good find if it's legit: **GORGEOUS INTRACOASTAL LOCATION**WALK TO THE PRIVATE BEACH** (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/1402901410.html - broken link) (Palm Beach Gardens)
Are those apts. in bad areas? It's so hard to tell on a computer. I will definately check those other areas out if I decide to relocate there. Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach