U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM

238 posts, read 527,538 times

Advertisements

TriMT7....let's say if we put the "serious partying" aside (lol)....would you then rate Downtown WPB and surrounding higher then Ft Lauderdale?

Though i realize that Ft Lauderdale is much closer to Miami..i don't think i'd be into the Miami Scene that much...so i guess it's really a matter of one vs the other (WPB/Lauderdale)....

I would say i am not really into the heavy partying places....but do like nice bars and pubs with live music sometimes....

Also...which area is better for hosting lots of free outdoor music concerts?
Do you think Kravitz Center is as good as Broward Performing Arts Center?

Which one has better dining places? Nicer to Walk Around?

How about the surrounding areas? Nicer around downtown WPB or downtown Ft Lauderdale?

How about shopping malls, restaurants, etc in the surrounding areas?

Do you find up in your area that it's easier and closer to get over to lots of interesting stuff then down in ft lauderdale?

People about the same in the two areas (as far as friendly....and down to earth)....

How about communities to live in...better up you ways or down there?

Just trying to get a little feel for it... Any feedback would be appreciated....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,622,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
TriMT7....let's say if we put the "serious partying" aside (lol)....would you then rate Downtown WPB and surrounding higher then Ft Lauderdale?
I honestly do not have intimate familiary with Ft. Lauderdale. I just figure and know from my experience that Lauderdale has "more to do" due to its sheer size advantage. That's not to say that West Palm has "nothing to do." Indeed, I'm not sure there's anything in Broward County/Lauderdale that cannot be found in Palm Beach County/WPB, albeit on a smaller scale.

That being said, I will let you know if things are available:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x
I would say i am not really into the heavy partying places....but do like nice bars and pubs with live music sometimes....
That is available in WPB. Plenty of bars and pubs, from upscale to dive bars.

Quote:
Also...which area is better for hosting lots of free outdoor music concerts?
Do you think Kravitz Center is as good as Broward Performing Arts Center?
WPB has a "Sunday concert series" downtown for part of the year. Also, Cityplace pretty much has weekly live music at the Palladium.

Don't know much about Broward Performing Arts Center, though I thin the Kravis has a very well rounded roster in four different venues on the complex.

Quote:
Which one has better dining places?
Might be a draw.... plenty plenty of restaurants in downtown WPB and Cityplace, from Japanese to Greek, Italian to Cuban, to American....though if you include downtown Palm Beach (about 2 miles from downtown West Palm), the dining on Palm Beach is very high end.

Quote:
Nicer to Walk Around?

How about the surrounding areas? Nicer around downtown WPB or downtown Ft Lauderdale?[/quote]

The areas outside of both downtowns can be sketchy in areas. In WPB, the area North of downtown is the bad part (except for like, one neighborhood). South of downtown you get the family and histor neighborhoods.

Quote:
How about shopping malls, restaurants, etc in the surrounding areas?
Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach (Worth Avenue) Cityplace, Wellington Green, Boca Town Center are the major shopping mall centers. IMO, the good shopping is more prevalent in Palm Beach County... except Broward has Sawgrass, which is a huge and very good outlet mall.

Quote:
Do you find up in your area that it's easier and closer to get over to lots of interesting stuff then down in ft lauderdale?
I would consider West Palm more accessible than Ft. Lauderdale. Much less congested and crowded, and you can walk to everything or take the trolley to get to the restaurants, etc. Plus, the beach is walking/biking distance from downtown WPB, whereas it's a bit more spread out in Lauderdale.

Quote:
People about the same in the two areas (as far as friendly....and down to earth)....
Probably about the same.... though again, more congested in Lauderdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs10x
How about communities to live in...better up you ways or down there?
What kind of communities are you looking for? New? Gated? Historic? I reallty like the "downtown" neighborhoods just South of downtown WPB. Ft. lauderdale has something similar called Victoria Park.

Quote:
Just trying to get a little feel for it... Any feedback would be appreciated....
In reality, if you are thinking about making a permanent relocation, you may want to come to both places for 6 months, and make your decision after seeing which works best for you.

The actual city of West Palm Beach can feel like a big small town at times(which is part of its charm), but I have found it has everything I need.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM

thanks....that did help...appreciate you taking the time for that....yes...i guess i would need to spend more time around both areas to get the best idea of which would work best for me....

I have only spent minimal time directly in those areas, and have spent most of my time where my dad lives in Deerfield Beach...also some time in Pompano Beach as well as Boca Raton.....but they are quite a distance from central WPB and central Fort Lauderdale....

I like my dad's area...but feel that since i am coming from NYC...i'd want to be nearer to a major downtown area like WPB or Ft Lauderdale.....I like the idea of a downtown to go to that is lively and and has lots of things to do....

Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 AM

475 posts, read 1,399,764 times
"I like my dad's area...but feel that since i am coming from NYC...i'd want to be nearer to a major downtown area like WPB or Ft Lauderdale.....I like the idea of a downtown to go to that is lively and and has lots of things to do.... "

I don't think WPB is going to make you very happy coming from NYC. Seems like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and South Beach will be a better fit.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM

[quote=Reedsmit;12302056]"I like my dad's area...but feel that since i am coming from NYC...i'd want to be nearer to a major downtown area like WPB or Ft Lauderdale.....I like the idea of a downtown to go to that is lively and and has lots of things to do.... "

I don't think WPB is going to make you very happy coming from NYC. Seems like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and South Beach will be a better fit.[/quote

You could be right at that....i saw downtown WPB last time i was down....but i need to take a more thorough look at Ft Lauderdale...which i will be doing on my next visit down...

As far as Miami...haven't been there in many years....actually going back to the days when it had a rather large Jewish population...(which i am).....

Hasn't it changed a lot since then? Isn't mostly cuban with some europeans mixed in? I heard if you don't speak spanish there now it can be rough to get by.....
That's why i thought i wouldn't fit in there....

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM

475 posts, read 1,399,764 times
[quote=craig10x;12304514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
"I like my dad's area...but feel that since i am coming from NYC...i'd want to be nearer to a major downtown area like WPB or Ft Lauderdale.....I like the idea of a downtown to go to that is lively and and has lots of things to do.... "

I don't think WPB is going to make you very happy coming from NYC. Seems like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and South Beach will be a better fit.[/quote

You could be right at that....i saw downtown WPB last time i was down....but i need to take a more thorough look at Ft Lauderdale...which i will be doing on my next visit down...

As far as Miami...haven't been there in many years....actually going back to the days when it had a rather large Jewish population...(which i am).....

Hasn't it changed a lot since then? Isn't mostly cuban with some europeans mixed in? I heard if you don't speak spanish there now it can be rough to get by.....
That's why i thought i wouldn't fit in there....
My trips to Ft. Lauderdale or South Beach have normally been on a Saturday afternoon. Lots happening in S. Beach even during the day. I have no doubt that the nights can be one big party around the various clubs.

I live in Jupiter, we live a more quiet life. Our nights out are normally an early dinner at a nearby restaurant / pub (Ale House, Duffy's, Outback, a movie, or an occasional trip to the Kravis Center for a show, I can't honestly tell you about the nightlife in Ft. Lauderdale or South Beach. But during my trips to NYC, the city is so vibrant and exciting, it just seems that if that is what you are use to, the two or three blocks of bars / clubs of Clematis Street or City Place would get to be old after awhile.

Being bi-linqual in S. FL can always be helpful, but not to sound difficult, last time I checked Miami was part of the United States, and English is the national lanquage not Spanish.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM

South Beach may be a good REAL alternative to the "big small town" feel of WPB, and sprawlingness of Lauderdale. It is one of the best real walkable, etc. urban neighborhoods in America IMO.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
South Beach may be a good REAL alternative to the "big small town" feel of WPB, and sprawlingness of Lauderdale. It is one of the best real walkable, etc. urban neighborhoods in America IMO.
Sounds good...only thing is, is though i like diversity in the people that live in an area....
and welcome all races, cultures, religions, etc....I tend not to feel comfortable in areas that don't have a fairly even mix of that...

From what i've heard, these days in Miami, the percentage of non-hispanic white people is down to about 18% of the population there.....so, that does make me wonder if it would be a good fit....

Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

From what i've heard, these days in Miami, the percentage of non-hispanic white people is down to about 18% of the population there.....so, that does make me wonder if it would be a good fit....

Well, you shouldn't only go by that. For one, a second to third generation white hispanic is going to be indistinguishable from a non-hispanic white Italian, Spaniard, Portuguese, French, etc. in appearance. Culturally, they will also be "Americanized."

Because South Beach is considered more upscale, it attracts more of the Latin upper class (white) people, so you won't feel uncomfortable or out of place.

But yeah, I just don't know...... NY to South Florida is really no comparison. Like I said, where I am I have everything I want either at my doorstep (in WPB), or an hour or so drive away (Ft. Lauderdale and Miami). Do you plan on living IN a downtown condo building, or in a downtown SFH/townhome neighborhood when you move?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Though i would love to live in the downtown area...it is pretty expensive...so i would probably go for an area that is less expensive and yet within a short drive to the downtown area....

My dad lives in Deerfield Beach....which is a nice community...but it's about 18 miles from Ft Lauderdale and i think about 26 miles from WPB.....So i think i'd want to be within..say 5 to 6 miles of downtown at the most...

I'd like to be able to get to mostly everything i'd want to go to, and hopefully be able able to do that within...say..an 8 mile radius or so....and i would probably go for a rental (1 bedroom apt....)

Thanks for the clarification about Miami....in fact, many of my friends over the years have been of hispanic background, and i feel very comfortable with them.....but i just thought the present day predominance might feel a bit strange to me...

Reminds me of when i once visited and stayed in downtown Atlanta many years ago...in the day time, the population was very mixed..mostly black and white...but then at night, most of the whites seem to go back to their homes in the suburbs there and the downtown was like 90% black or at least seemed to be.....no one bothered me...but it sure did feel kind of "weird"....lol

I'm trying to figure out which downtown would be best to be "centered" around....and the area that would provide maximum things to do with the least amount of driving....

Last edited by craig10x; 01-06-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach