Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:36 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Though i would love to live in the downtown area...it is pretty expensive...so i would probably go for an area that is less expensive and yet within a short drive to the downtown area....

My dad lives in Deerfield Beach....which is a nice community...but it's about 18 miles from Ft Lauderdale and i think about 26 miles from WPB.....So i think i'd want to be within..say 5 to 6 miles of downtown at the most...

I'd like to be able to get to mostly everything i'd want to go to, and hopefully be able able to do that within...say..an 8 mile radius or so....and i would probably go for a rental (1 bedroom apt....)

Thanks for the clarification about Miami....in fact, many of my friends over the years have been of hispanic background, and i feel very comfortable with them.....but i just thought the present day predominance might feel a bit strange to me...

Reminds me of when i once visited and stayed in downtown Atlanta many years ago...in the day time, the population was very mixed..mostly black and white...but then at night, most of the whites seem to go back to their homes in the suburbs there and the downtown was like 90% black or at least seemed to be.....no one bothered me...but it sure did feel kind of "weird"....lol

I'm trying to figure out which downtown would be best to be "centered" around....and the area that would provide maximum things to do with the least amount of driving....
There is an area west of WPB right off Okeechobee Blvd, called Vista. (between the Turnpike and Jog Rd. on the north side of Okeechobee) It is a nice area, new, there are 3 housing communities there, plus several more very nearby.

There is a BP (gas), Hess (gas) Home Depot, Publix (grocery store), Walgreens, CVS, a Pub, Walmart Food Market and a couple little take out places, (pizza & Chinese) at the intersection of Okeechobee & Jog Rd.

From this location downtown WPB would be about 5 or 6 miles. Turnpike exit is right there; so getting to Deerfield, Ft. Lauderdale would be easy.

I am sure you could find a rental there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Though i would love to live in the downtown area...it is pretty expensive...so i would probably go for an area that is less expensive and yet within a short drive to the downtown area....
You'd be surprised. What is your price range for rentals? Amenities needed? Downtown WPB has a college (Palm Beach Atlantic) so there are actually a lot of options.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 PM

238 posts, read 575,932 times
To Reedsmit: Oh...that sounds pretty nice....i will have to check that out for sure.....do you happen to know the name of any of those housing development there (so i can check my apartmentguide.com and forrent.com books to see if they happen to be shown in there)...

To TriMT7: I'd like to keep the rental price in the $750-$850 range if possible...A one bedroom would be fine....patio (terrace) would be nice to have....and of course, a swimming pool and recreation room would be desirable....

Also...i wonder....i know downtown fort lauderdale is bigger....but does it really offer that much more the downtown WPB?

And the surrounding communities around the two downtowns....does one have nicer communities then the other?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
To Reedsmit: Oh...that sounds pretty nice....i will have to check that out for sure.....do you happen to know the name of any of those housing development there (so i can check my apartmentguide.com and forrent.com books to see if they happen to be shown in there)...

To TriMT7: I'd like to keep the rental price in the $750-$850 range if possible...A one bedroom would be fine....patio (terrace) would be nice to have....and of course, a swimming pool and recreation room would be desirable....

Also...i wonder....i know downtown fort lauderdale is bigger....but does it really offer that much more the downtown WPB?

And the surrounding communities around the two downtowns....does one have nicer communities then the other?
Well, the reason why I ask is because downtown WPB has "in town" neighborhoods, very convenient to downtown (I live in one, and can walk, bike to downtown... 1 mile away). Many people also get vespas/scooters to zip into downtown, or over to Palm Beach and the beach.

This, for example (illustration purposes only, I am not advertising!), is maybe 2 miles from downtown, and in a great location:

ENJOY INTRACOASTAL LIVING! DONALD TRUMP LIVES ACROSS THE LAKE. 1BR 1BA (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/1531648789.html - broken link)

Here's another one, which is basically right downtown:

Location, Location, Location: Live on Flagler (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/1520954202.html - broken link)

A good realtor will be able to search the MLS rental listings in and around downtown for your price range. Then, come talk to us downtown residents if you want to know about a specific location or building.

The buildings and complexes you can get into in ACTUAL West Palm (not the unincorporated area out West) may be smaller, may be older, but quality of life, in terms of proximity to everything, character, etc. can't be beat.

Edit: A couple more:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3915-S-Flagler-Dr--3080_West-Palm-Beach_FL_33405_1113499204 (broken link)

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/623-Park-Pl_West-Palm-Beach_FL_33401_1111171617 (broken link)

A bonus to living in the area South of downtown is that it puts you half way between downtown WPB AND downtown Lake Worth, which is neat in its own right with independent restaurants, bars.... very beachy town feeling with a bohemian flair.

Last edited by TriMT7; 01-06-2010 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM

238 posts, read 575,932 times
you know...downtown WPB or it's nearby surrounding areas...might be the best "fit" for me....i like the convenience of being able to get to a whole bunch of good stuff (like beaches, bars, restaurants,movies, theatre, music concerts, shopping, etc) and not having to travel very far to get to them...that could work very well for me....

as you mentioned, with ft lauderdale area...things are more "spread out"......

and...since i am in the 55 plus catagory (lol) i could also consider buying a 1 bedroom condo in Century Village West Palm Beach....they are quire reasonable, and the monthly fees are low...and i believe that is only about 5 miles to downtown WPB.....

my dad lives in Century Village Deerfield Beach....i was originally consider that...but as i said, problem is that it's 18 miles to Ft Lauderdale and over 25 miles up to WPB from there....

So, i'd probably consider doing that as well as looking for a newer rental in the central WPB area.....

Last edited by craig10x; 01-06-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Quote:
you know...downtown WPB or it's nearby surrounding areas...might be the best "fit" for me....i like the convenience of being able to get to a whole bunch of good stuff (like beaches, bars, restaurants,movies, theatre, music concerts, shopping, etc) and not having to travel very far to get to them...that could work very well for me....

as you mentioned, with ft lauderdale area...things are more "spread out"......
Make sure you check out the PGA strip in the Gardens, has all of that with in a short distance.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times
Quote:

Emerald Dunes Golf Club is located at the front of Vista Center, but there are two other communities further down Vista Parkway. I worked in Contractor's Business Park which is at the end of Vista Parkway, so I passed them daily, (I was laid off in Aug.) but I am sorry to say, I do not remember the names of the communities. I am sure realtors would be able to give you specifics on all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach