Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 157,351 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are thinking about relocating from Los Angeles, CA to the Boca Raton area because of the great real estate values, compared to California prices.

However; It seems that there are quite a few people that are not happy living in Florida, and they talk about moving out.

Can someone give us any positive oppinions about moving to Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM

141 posts, read 453,509 times
Victor,

I have read these forums a lot. Do a search on the areas you are interested in. I have heard good things about Boca Raton as well as Jupiter, palm beach gardens and other areas in WPB as well. Only negative thing I heard about Boca Raton is that some people say the people there are snobby...which IMO isnt that big a deal.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM

Thank you, We needed to hear that.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorderose714 View Post
My fiance and I are thinking about relocating from Los Angeles, CA to the Boca Raton area because of the great real estate values, compared to California prices.

However; It seems that there are quite a few people that are not happy living in Florida, and they talk about moving out.

Can someone give us any positive oppinions about moving to Florida?
Interesting, as you are so right...I had company over yesterday afternoon one was a friend and a few others were people that moved here 6 years ago, that are friends with my friend with that being said my friend has been here 11 years now and we got on the topic of florida and Boca, and they absoultely love it I heard their opinions on it and what love about it, and I can tell you everyone is different and everyone has different opinions on everything....because some people are miserable doesnt mean its a misearable place to live, I have spoken with quiet a few neighbors who also love living in florida and couldnt see any other place to live as they are all transplants at one time or another..There biggest downfall they said is the fear of the hurricanes, however its no different than those that live in Cali with the earthquakes..and those states with floods and tornado's...People cant tell you weather or not u will like it, like these gals they gave me alot of input, and gave me restaruants and a bunch of things I didnt know about...so far people are very nice here, there are tons of kids, and everyone waves and says hello....summer is a hard time to move since so many people are away, but its all good....and remember people can only give you their opinions, I may love a place or a school etc, and the next person wont...

good luck with your research, and look at both sides of the coin, know the negatives and know the positives, but also know that what might be good for you might not be good for someone else

Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Thank you very much berryjuice4life

Old 06-20-2009, 05:32 AM

9 posts, read 61,602 times
Hello Victor,

Boca Raton is beautiful with pretty much A rated schools and a variety of ammenities to choose from. Your concerts, shopping, restaurants and proximity to theater in the surround cities makes this a great and convenient place to live. I personally feel safe and comfortable in Boca Raton which is where I do much of my business. The beaches are excellent and the shopping is better than in surrounding cities. Everybody will have an opinion, but if you like the location and proximity to airports (PBIA and Ft. Lauderdale Hollywood), shopping at Town Center Mall (Simon Malls), entertainment and dining at Mizner Park with great schools and a true feel of the florida lifestyle people BRAG about, this is the place for you.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,117 times
I doubt many people living in Boca are miserable. Everyone there is either a doctor or lawyer, or some wealthy retiree. I think the miserable people tend to be middle/working-class people from other cities and suburbs outside of Boca. Many of them were laid off from their jobs and are in forclosures or bankruptcys due to losing their jobs. You'd be pretty miserable too if you were in that situation. The working class of South FL is having lots of problems due to the economy just like California. There is very little opportunity for employment here in most fields since the economy is retracting at a significant rate.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:55 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,117 times
What is Boca like? It consists mostly of upper-income people and gated housing communities. Boca is very quiet compared to the rest of South FL and laid back. There is very little traffic in Boca and the roads are well laid out and maintained. There are a ton of Jewish people living there, although I'm not sure of the exact demographics these days. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how light the traffic is compared to California. Also, there is plenty of shopping including the Town Center Mall and some great choices of restaurants and bars/lounges. There is a major state university there called Florida Atlantic University so there's a good number of college students living in the area. There are also a lot of old people.

The people of Boca do have a reputation for being snobby, rich, and exclusive. You kind of get that feel when you drive through with all of the gated communities blocked off from the outside world.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM

272 posts, read 908,737 times
I lived in Boca for 23 years, in a middle class non-gated community. I never felt out of place with the "rich" people living in Boca. The only miserable people I encountered were the really old ones from Century Village.
There are rude people, mostly coming from the NorthEast bigger cities.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,380,884 times
Beautiful
Clean
Upscale
New
Nice grocery store options
Good schools
Landscaped Streets
Central - South Florida Location
Nice beaches
Cheap compared to California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach