U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,356 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in NY, but do not want to raise my child up in NY. I can't even walk to the store without someone whisteling at me or harassing me!!! Everything is overpriced. People can be rude. Everyone is working, working, working just to pay bills, bills, bills!

Help me!!! I'm interested in Palm Beach County (Boca, Jupiter, etc) but I don't want relocate to another community where I can't walk to the store without getting robbed! My child is turning 3 this year. Sooner or later, she'll be in school (::tear:.

I would love some recommendations on a great community to raise children, excellent school systems, great outdoor activities, low or decent taxes (compared to NY) and please... no ghost towns. I'm coming from NY, I need some traffic.

I am also thinking of purchasing some affordable real estate, and I am NOT talking about SECTION 8 communities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here in NY, a 1 bedroom condo can cost you about 200k, but in FL, you can purchase a 4 bedroom family home... what a deal....

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,144,676 times
Sounds like Boca would be a good fit. Nice, safer area with good schools, and lots of traffic. Won't find too many 4 bedrooms for 200k (except short sales), but you can get a nice house in that price range.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 AM

156 posts, read 683,456 times
We also came from NY and lived in Wellington, very safe friendly area, great schools and beautiful homes! Unfortunately the hurricanes came, and we decided to move up to North Florida (milder weather, not hot as long, cheaper taxes, insurance, less crowded). We live in St Augustine zip code 32092, check it out as an alternative. You could get a 4br/3ba home here for $200-250k right now, amazing! Make sure you have a job before coming to Florida, unless you have income coming in already, that seems to be the problem for some new people. Good luck!!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:57 AM

475 posts, read 1,421,713 times
I have lived in the Jupiter / Tequesta area for 30 years and raised two children here. I do not live in a gated community or Home Owner Association, I do not have an alarm system and I know my neighbors.

The beaches are beautiful, if you enjoy fishing, boating, golfing, the area has it all. We have spring training at Roger Dean Stadium, a very nice mall in Palm Beach Gardens.

My children attended Limestone Creek Elementary, the parents were very involved in the school and it was a great experience. When it was time to go on to High School each of them went to a Magnet School which you had to apply and be accepted to. Each of the schools were in the top 100 schools in the Nation.

There are year round activities and sports for the children through the Jupiter Tequesta Athletic Association. There is also many fine churches.

Jupiter / Tequesta has a small town feel to it. But there is an exit for I-95 and the Turnpike, it is 2 1/2 hours north to Orlanda, 2 hours north to Kennedy Space Center, 2 hours south to Miami.

The Kravis Center for Performing Arts is an easy 30 min. drive. They always have a wonder calander of events including world class performances.

As any where there is crime of some sort, but the amount of crime and type of crime is very minimal here. If you go to do an internet search on Tequesta, FL you can read the daily Police Reports. The majority of which seem to be traffic stops.

Definately do not look at Lake Park, Rivieria Beach, Lake Worth and many areas of West Palm Beach.
Jupiter, Tequesta, Boca Raton, Wellington - these are all wonderful family communities.

And I would not hesitate living in any of them.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 AM

7,298 posts, read 11,578,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskathy107 View Post
I was born and raised in NY, but do not want to raise my child up in NY. I can't even walk to the store without someone whisteling at me or harassing me!!! Everything is overpriced. People can be rude. Everyone is working, working, working just to pay bills, bills, bills!

Help me!!! I'm interested in Palm Beach County (Boca, Jupiter, etc) but I don't want relocate to another community where I can't walk to the store without getting robbed! My child is turning 3 this year. Sooner or later, she'll be in school (::tear:.

I would love some recommendations on a great community to raise children, excellent school systems, great outdoor activities, low or decent taxes (compared to NY) and please... no ghost towns. I'm coming from NY, I need some traffic.

I am also thinking of purchasing some affordable real estate, and I am NOT talking about SECTION 8 communities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here in NY, a 1 bedroom condo can cost you about 200k, but in FL, you can purchase a 4 bedroom family home... what a deal....

Thanks!!!
You better not go to Boyton or West Palm! I was stay clear from those cities if want your child to be raised in a safe enviroment. I would advise Boca and Palm Beach Gardens or places like those. And another thing, Section 8 doesn't mean that all it's people are poor and agressive thug-life type. Section 8 housing makes apartments more affordable for lower income people. Stop being so narrowminded.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 AM

17,288 posts, read 28,054,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You better not go to Boyton or West Palm! I was stay clear from those cities if want your child to be raised in a safe enviroment. I would advise Boca and Palm Beach Gardens or places like those. And another thing, Section 8 doesn't mean that all it's people are poor and agressive thug-life type. Section 8 housing makes apartments more affordable for lower income people. Stop being so narrowminded.

Lol, both West Boynton and Southern West Palm Beach are very nice and desirable places to live with lots of families. Just like not all of Boca is desirable (Pearl City, anyone), nor Palm Beach Gardens (near Woodbine).

Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,449,121 times
^^^^Just an observation...you told the OP to stay away from certain places (one appears to be a place you live) and yet you advise to not be narrowminded. HMMM...makes one think.

To the OP - I would agree that Section 8 may not mean what it does here in NYC - I think you are from Yonkers so, basically anything IMO is going to be a step up in quality of life for the child. I too am looking to move from Woodside and am hoping to be there with in the year - I believe that you should do your homework on the area and from my research Boca would be a good fit - it would not be as much of a culture shock for you. I know I don't want to move some where and have everything from A-Z be foriegn. So, for me the fact that their a many NICE Nyer's in the area is a big plus.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM

7,298 posts, read 11,578,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
^^^^Just an observation...you told the OP to stay away from certain places (one appears to be a place you live) and yet you advise to not be narrowminded. HMMM...makes one think.

To the OP - I would agree that Section 8 may not mean what it does here in NYC - I think you are from Yonkers so, basically anything IMO is going to be a step up in quality of life for the child. I too am looking to move from Woodside and am hoping to be there with in the year - I believe that you should do your homework on the area and from my research Boca would be a good fit - it would not be as much of a culture shock for you. I know I don't want to move some where and have everything from A-Z be foriegn. So, for me the fact that their a many NICE Nyer's in the area is a big plus.
Just because you live in a place, doesn't mean you have to like it. I lived in West Boynton and it's pretty nice. However, once in school, you see how ghetto and dangerous and overpriced everything is and the Boynton experience is completely trashed. As for West Palm, lived there - done that, don't care for the place. Paying for the cost of living in Boca and Palm Beach Gardens seem worth it to me. But Boynton and West Palm? I don't think so!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 12,356 times
Allen,

You try living or walking around Section 8 in my area and you'll see what I mean.

My best friend owns a nice 2 family house and last year, she started accepting Section 8 applications for her 2nd floor (she lives on the first floor). Well, guess what? SHE JUST GOT ROBBED!

A couple months ago, my friend's father just got robbed, brutally beaten, and put in the hospital because the residents in Section 8 from Yonkers.

PS. Thanks to Chelsa for her observation...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,449,121 times
Allen - I will not dispute your take on cost of living as it is your opinion, and is validated by many on this forum. You mentioned in another post about going to NY or LA or Chicago - these places are all going to give you sticker shock. NYC and what you get for your money...you can rent an apartment in Boca for 2K and get better amenities than an apartment you pay 6500 for in NYC - does it matter that you get paid 40% more if you are paying 3 1/2 times more in rent? If you are looking for CITY life in it's true meaning - NYC is great, but if you want a combination of suburbia and city - NYC is not the easiest place to be. That is my only point to you. Think carefully about what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach