Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 47,106 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in northern new jersey my entire life and cannot take the winters, the cost of living, the taxes and the people. So mainly everything. Ive been searching for a good place in Fla. and Jupiter keeps popping up. Im married with two little boys (7 and 5 ) and I want to raise them in a better area. Would you recommend Jupiter ? Schools, taxes, beaches, family life, jobs. In other words I need to know everything. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Jupiter is an excellent place to raise a family. Very good public schools, lots to do, absolutely beautiful, IMO.

Jobs, well, jobs depend on your field. You may need to wait a couple years for certain industries.

Taxes? No income tax, 6.5% on average sales tax on everything but groceries. Property taxes are not the highest in the country, but not low. Figure 2% or so of assesed value as a ballpark figure. After homesteading, etc. the taxes will be lower.

You can get good homes under 300k now. Some even under 200k.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 AM

are there better sections ? I would be spending in the low 3s for a house. How far from Miami ?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,041 times
1:15-30 to Miami depending on traffic, only a couple hours to Orlando as well.
You should enjoy how close it is to some very nice beaches and there are a variety of nice restaurants/shopping within a short distance.
If you want something with a little more land check out the Farms West of 95 otherwise there are a variety of nice communities.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,165 times
I think it is pretty far from Miami - if your asking for work purposes - I don't think it is a doable thing - it is I believe the equivalent of driving from pa to NYC every day so, like 2.5 to 3 hours in traffic - there are several places closer to miami if your looking to be closer for work purposes. Like trim said It depends on you field - good luck.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Yeah.. I wouldn't be planning on living in Jupiter and working in Miami. If your stuck in traffic it can be a couple hours but if you are going down for a weekend it's not bad.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks for all your help. Anything else anyone can add would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 PM

475 posts, read 1,497,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy610 View Post
Ive lived in northern new jersey my entire life and cannot take the winters, the cost of living, the taxes and the people. So mainly everything. Ive been searching for a good place in Fla. and Jupiter keeps popping up. Im married with two little boys (7 and 5 ) and I want to raise them in a better area. Would you recommend Jupiter ? Schools, taxes, beaches, family life, jobs. In other words I need to know everything. Please help.
Bigdaddy610, I have lived in Jupiter / Tequesta for over 30 years, I have raised 2 children here and have no regrets nor do I hesitate recommending it to anyone.

Jupiter has a small town feel to it.

My children attended Limestone Creek Elementary, the parents were involved. The volunteered in the schools, they had a spring carnival to raise money to buy class room supplies, so the teachers did not have to supply certain things that are not part of the budget. When our Principle was being sent to a different school, the parents attended school board meetings, and we ultimately got to keep our beloved principal.

Both of our children were active in sports, Jupiter - Tequesta Atheletic Association fields thousands of children year round in a large variety of sports: Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Basketball. As parents we sat on those bleachers, volunteered and got to know our neighbors and our childrens friends.

Our children attended Jupiter First Church - they collected socks for migrant children, participated in the Secret Shepard Gift Exchange every Christmas, and were involved in the Youth Programs in the Church.

Our children were also Scouts, we went on camping trips, helped teach merit badges, and sold cookies and cakes. My son became an Eagle Scout. And ultimately was named Eagle Scout of the Year for the State of Florida by the VFW.

When the children were ready for High School - my son applied to Suncoast High School (this school was in the top 100 High Schools for the last several years). He was in the computer program, and participated in Build Your Dream Car, his team one 1st place regionally and went to Detroit to compete nationally. He graduated from UCF in Orlando this past August.

My daughter chose Dreyfoos School of the Arts, after Hurrican Katrina hit New Orleans she spear headed a fund raiser to help New Orleans. She auditioned for Julliard, and was offered a scholarship at UCF. Ultimately she chose FSU, she got her degree in 3 1/2 years and graduated in Dec. with honors. She has recently accepted a one year assignment in MT with AmeriCorp.

Jupiter has beautiful beaches, wonderful children's programs and involved parents. There are expensive and more moderate neighborhoods. Our crime rate is low, and I feel it is a safe place to raise a family.

But you should take a few days and come and see for yourself. If you come soon, you can watch the Spring Training Games at Roger Dean Stadium, take time to visit the beach, climb the old lighthouse, or sit on the bleachers at JTAA Park on Church Street and watch some of the Jupiter kids play a baseball game.

I don't think you will regret it.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Yeah.. I wouldn't be planning on living in Jupiter and working in Miami. If your stuck in traffic it can be a couple hours but if you are going down for a weekend it's not bad.

How far is Jupiter from boca? I get so many differnt responses I may have over estimated but I'm wondering when you say 1.15-1.5 is that speed limit a little above or just average - some people say it takes 45 min to get from boca to ft lauderdale and it took me and Hubby about 20 lol - so I'm just wondering real time.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM

I drive around 80 which is a little faster than average traffic. But it takes me about 40 45 from jupiter to boca so I guess jupiter to miami would be 130 to 2 longer during traffic.
I don't drive the morning rush though so I couldn't comment on how that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach