Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times

Advertisements

We're a couple in our 40s with a 9 year old daughter. We're currently living in North Carolina - east of Raleigh. I've lived in NY; CA; NV; UT; OR and NC. I'm considering a move for a job in West Palm Beach. I'd want a maximum commute time of 30 minutes; the shorter, the better. Quality of government schools are important, though we'd consider private. Wife doesn't work outside the home now, but might look for something once we're settled. Any home purchase will be based on one income, probably around $80k.

Just how bad has the housing slump hit the area? Not surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be much new home construction going on. We'd prefer new construction, but would look at homes up to a few years old, or a foreclosure/short sale. I'd like to stay under $100 per sq ft for a home, with as large a yard as possible...we're used to homes in the 2,500 sq ft range, and wouldn't mind going larger if possible. Single family only.

Can anyone guide me to areas/communities that we should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
There's a few nice short sales in Canyons in Boynton that would fit that description. A couple neighborhoods in West Lake Worth as well, and a few in Wellington.
Most of the schools are good in these areas.
They're all around 20-30 minute drive to WPB depending on what part your working in.
Are you going to stay in the same field you are currently in? Getting a loan is tough these days if you are changing fields.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks. I'll be in the same industry - I do accounting in construction. Company is on the western side of WPB.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times
Contruction is suffering badly in FL right now. I know contractors who have been in business for over 30 years that are barely surviving.

If your job is in western WPB - I would look at Wellington, Royal Palm Beach, there are also communities west of Jog Rd. on Okeechobee.

I live in Jupiter and worked in the Vista complex - Jog Rd & Okeechobee; the Turnpike is at Okeechobee so it was an easy commute.

Wellington and Jupiter both have a lot to offer, but Jupiter is close to the beaches. Abacoa is a wonderful area, close to everything; schools, shopping, hospital and major highways. Turnpike at PGA Blvd, would be 5 - 7 min. - 10 min. from PGA to Okeechobee Blvd.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 AM

I'm definitely a bit hesitant about the area, given the challenges in construction. But that's true in a lot of areas. The company I've working for in NC has been around for 65 years and may not make it much longer.

Thanks for the additional information...I really know nothing about Florida. I'll know more in the coming days if it's something I'll need to seriously consider (I haven't even had an on-site interview yet).

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
If your making $80K with little or no debt, no car loans or affordable car loans and have good credit with a nice chunk of change to put down on a new home you can probably afford to buy something here in the $250K+ range that will be newer construction in a nice area though prices are still high for new construction in some developments. I would look in Wellington personally, but note the taxes are higher in Wellington but the public schools are notably good.

The job market here is not great and you may have nothing to fall back on if things don't work out for you. And depending on what field your wife works in or is thinking of getting in also might be an issue. I would suggest researching and doing your homework before considering a move here.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times
You know construction is not good when even the Building Dept has laid off people.

There is complex in Vista Center - Contractor's Business Park; great idea, nice units, right down the street from the Building Dept. - the place is pretty much a ghost town; last time I was there they probably had about 30% of the units full, and many of those Contractors were just surviving. Even Sunshine Plumbing who had a huge facility to sell plumbing equipment to Contractors has moved out.
The downturn in construction has impacted everyone in the trades from Architects on down.

But hurricane season starts June 1 - one bad storm and every contractor around will have more business than they can handle.

No one will mind if I hope the storms just pass on by; frankly after Hurricane Francis and Jeanne in 2004 and Wilma in 2005 I think Palm Beach County has had more than enough hurricanes to last a life time.

I would be very careful before moving to the Sunshine State - Florida is not so sunny right now for Contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach