U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
 
105 posts, read 223,924 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

I am doing research for a possible move to south Florida to be closer to family and I know some builders where I am now (in Texas) are building eco friendly communities with walking and bike paths to shopping centers etc.
Like this
Montgomery Farm Homes Allen: Darling Homes at Montgomery Farm Allen TX
montgomeryfarm.com - home

Is there anything like this in S. Florida/ RPB area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
 
17,288 posts, read 27,515,701 times
Reputation: 8660
Ummm...well, Abacoa in Jupiter is "New Urbanist" with bike trails, side walks, greenways, etc.,.... that is about the closest thing I can think of besides the older established neighborhoods that provide walking and biking opportunities to amenities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
 
105 posts, read 223,924 times
Reputation: 43
Hmm -that looks interesting -seems VERY upscale to me. I'm trying to figure out the different neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach County
1,701 posts, read 4,039,684 times
Reputation: 634
When I worked for a builder in Wisconsin we actually built homes that qualified to meet "green home" standards. i don't think that is what you are referring to though.
Abacoa as mentioned has some nice neighborhoods like that. Not too upscale 3-400k range. Lennar/Pulte are finishing out one now.
Rialto Executive New Home Community - Jupiter - Treasure Coast/Palm Beach, Florida | Lennar Homes
Only a couple lots left there though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
 
105 posts, read 223,924 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
When I worked for a builder in Wisconsin we actually built homes that qualified to meet "green home" standards. i don't think that is what you are referring to though.
Abacoa as mentioned has some nice neighborhoods like that. Not too upscale 3-400k range. Lennar/Pulte are finishing out one now.
Rialto Executive New Home Community - Jupiter - Treasure Coast/Palm Beach, Florida | Lennar Homes
Only a couple lots left there though.
Thanks - I would like both the green homes (brownwater sprinkler systems, energy efficient, solar options etc) and the idea of walking and riding to the shops and parks.

I guess I need to figure out pricing - in Texas I live in a nice neighborhood with an average income around 100K and out home is $220, so I need some perspective on what what in S. Florida.

ETA -I also don't love the idea of a new home -so I'm not too interested in lots.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
 
17,288 posts, read 27,515,701 times
Reputation: 8660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Hmm -that looks interesting -seems VERY upscale to me. I'm trying to figure out the different neighborhoods.
Well, Abacoa has everything from 100k condos to estate size homes over 1 million dollars. Tons of more affordable townhouse options as well. The newest communities in Abacoa being built out are Mallory's Creek and Canterbury, but many are already established.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM
 
105 posts, read 223,924 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ummm...well, Abacoa in Jupiter is "New Urbanist" with bike trails, side walks, greenways, etc.,.... that is about the closest thing I can think of besides the older established neighborhoods that provide walking and biking opportunities to amenities.
Can you tell me more about the older neighborhoods ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach County
1,701 posts, read 4,039,684 times
Reputation: 634
yeah, you will find you'll get more home for your money in most parts of Texas compared to South FL unfortunately.
Lake Charleston Maintenance Association Lake Charleston has some nice homes in that range and is similar to what you speak of.
Where would you be working?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:07 PM
 
17,288 posts, read 27,515,701 times
Reputation: 8660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Can you tell me more about the older neighborhoods ...
South Florida typically has a lot of older neighborhoods towards the coasts.

The homes are smaller, often closer to city downtowns, and often located in historic districts.

In Palm Beach County, some of these areas include parts of Lake Park, Southern West Palm Beach, East Delray Beach, and Northern Lake Worth.

The development patterns of these neighborhoods follow more "traditional" patterns... sidewalks, trees, border on commercial so walkable or bikeable to amenities, shops, restaurants, the beach, etc.

Worlds away from the planned community, new construction worlds though!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
 
105 posts, read 223,924 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
South Florida typically has a lot of older neighborhoods towards the coasts.

The homes are smaller, often closer to city downtowns, and often located in historic districts.

In Palm Beach County, some of these areas include parts of Lake Park, Southern West Palm Beach, East Delray Beach, and Northern Lake Worth.

The development patterns of these neighborhoods follow more "traditional" patterns... sidewalks, trees, border on commercial so walkable or bikeable to amenities, shops, restaurants, the beach, etc.

Worlds away from the planned community, new construction worlds though!

That sounds more appealing to me -but I might be putting my own Texas spin on what you are describing. Often those areas have schools that are not as good and some conveniences are hard to come by..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top