U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM

9 posts, read 19,310 times

Advertisements

I am in Roanoke, VA, I'm young, married and an independent insurance agent - my wife is a teacher. Our jobs give us the ability to live almost anywhere in the country.

Lately we have been looking at both the Tampa area and the Boca Raton area. We, like most people, want to escape the cold and live somewhere with a little more to offer.

I am curious though, for those who moved from the north, does the hot weather get old? In the north we obviously have seasons and by the end of summer most people look forward to the fall and in the winter can't wait for the warm weather again. What are your opinions on the constant muggy weather?

Also in the North we have to ability to jump from state to state in just a few hours time visiting many different cities. It seems that in FL your more "land locked" and lack the ability to leave the state by car unless you can handle the 10+ hour trips.. Just curious if anyone gets a "trapped" feeling because of this?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM

70 posts, read 210,675 times
Yes, for some people the long stretch of heat is a little too much. Other people love and thrive in the heat. It really depends on how you and your wife deal with heat versus cold! My suggestion is to come for a visit for a couple of weeks in July or August and see how you tolerate it. Weeks not days! It's not the same as living here through the whole summer but it may give you a taste. I have lived all over the US from Miami to Alaska, and while I don't think Florida is perfect I'd rather deal with the hot summers than with the cold.

As far as feeling trapped... I live five minutes from an international airport in West Palm Beach, and the price of a plane ticket home is cheaper than driving to Florida, and faster too. So I think many people in Florida take advantage of the great airfare rates we get here to travel. So I definitely feel more mobile here than in many places I have lived.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,145,469 times
the cold winters get old alot faster than the hot summers (at least for me).
there's alot of places to go within a few hour drive, ft. Laud, miami, the keys, orlando, etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 AM

3,180 posts, read 7,417,533 times
This was my first full year living in FL from up north. Everyone is different in terms of sensitivity to temps but I would rather have the hot/humid then cold/snow. The summer here did take a toll but at least I did not have to commute through 7 inches of snow and I am very sensitive to the cold where it hurts. In the summer months I did things differentlike outdoor activites in the morning. Basically when one works you are in doors a lot anyway. I am not a day trip person so can't say much about that. I do feel in FL there is much more to do in general. So if you live in Boca you could drive to Miami or Ft Lauderdale for the day. It may not be a different state but is a different feel. I live in Boca and have never been to Tampa. I have mixed feelings on Boca. In terms of safety and close to shops,restaurants,and somewhat a middle ground between WP and Ft Lauderdale it is nice. I do feel it is overpriced and the people in general don't give me a warm feeling of course there are nice people but on the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach