Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,920 times

Advertisements

We are looking at different areas of the Palm Beach county. Delray was of some interest, We are looking for good school system but also a nice area to raise your kids? Any comments on the Delray Beach area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,675 times
I hope you get some responses to this- we're looking at Delray Beach as well. I'm particularly interested in good private schools for our son in K right now-- 1st grade by the time we move.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
I would say it is going to vary depending on what price range you are considering and whether you want to be on the East or West side of Delray. There are some very nice neighborhoods and there are some not so nice neighborhoods so you do have to be careful in making your decision.
That really holds true for anywhere in Palm Beach County though...
The school websites have been posted a few times to help you do some research on that.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM

152 posts, read 335,267 times
Delray schools are not great at all. Most with young children move to West Boynton or Boca, prices are so low now you have great choices. For Delray, you would have to go private, American Heritage is the main choice, it is just ok, a step above public, pretty campus and no cut team policy, a great plus.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,001 times
Delray is great for families, but the schooling, not so great unless you send them to private school like
previous writers have stated....there are many "christian schools" and private Jewish schools where
you could send your children..If you are catholic, St. vincent Ferrer in Delray Beach is a great Catholic
school. High school is another story....although Atlantic High School is coming along. Spanish River would be my choice but then you would have to live in Boca...so you might consider Boca Raton too.
Either city is great...Good luck.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 37,336 times
Both of my sons attended public schools in Delray Beach. My older son had his choice of colleges upon graduation, with academic scholarships. Atlantic H.S. has a wonderful IB program that gets it ranked nationally every year. For elementary schools, the best in the area is S.D. Spady (a public Montessori program), but it is a choice school, so it's a lottery for acceptance. There are, as others have said, a lot of private options as well.

Other than the educational aspects, Delray is a wonderful place for kids and grownups alike. The beach is beautiful and accessible to everyone, and there's a lot to do around the area.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM

32 posts, read 175,087 times
We lived in Delray Beach for two years and looks like we are going to live here for one more. I don't have any school age children yet, but my daughter is going to start preschool next year so I have been researching schools around the area. Unity Montessori school seems promising, but this is private. I haven't really looked into public schools, so I can't comment on that.

As for Delray being a great place for family. Yes, I agree. The beach is really nice and always full with families on the weekend. Downtown is great place to stroll and they do have a lot of monthly events that are children friendly. I would definitely recommend the East Delray around downtown if you decide to move here. North Swinton is a historic district with charming bungalows and key west style houses.

The West is filled with how do I say this.. old people. We always joke that we are in the Cocoon. Nothing against the elderly, but we do feel fish out of the water with a toddler and both of us being under the age of 40, or even 35 in my case. And the East side does have more of a beach town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach