Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,414 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to a 55+ community in the Boynton Beach - Lake Worth area but are concerned about the covenant and restriction clauses of the HOAs. We lead an active life - collect vintage BMW motorcycles, go canoeing and sailing, and are concerned that a restriction such as "Gararge doors must be kept closed except when in use" would create a problem for us while I am working on the motorcycles.

I understand that a boat trailer in the driveway may not be welcome but having someone patroling the neighborhood looking for violations of the C&R is not something that I would appreciate.

I have seen a list of about 30 or more 55+ communities in the area and would like help in paring it down to those that I would feel comfortable in. I know that there are many people who want everything "just so" and that is fine - they would not want me as a neighbor and I would not want to be theirs so it works out.

If any of you can help me out with information I would appreciate it. If you don't want me in your development - tell me and I will take it off my list. Both of us will be happy. If you know of a link to your development's C&R that I can use that would also help.

Thanks,
Drewboid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboid View Post
We are interested in moving to a 55+ community in the Boynton Beach - Lake Worth area but are concerned about the covenant and restriction clauses of the HOAs. We lead an active life - collect vintage BMW motorcycles, go canoeing and sailing, and are concerned that a restriction such as "Gararge doors must be kept closed except when in use" would create a problem for us while I am working on the motorcycles.

I understand that a boat trailer in the driveway may not be welcome but having someone patroling the neighborhood looking for violations of the C&R is not something that I would appreciate.

I have seen a list of about 30 or more 55+ communities in the area and would like help in paring it down to those that I would feel comfortable in. I know that there are many people who want everything "just so" and that is fine - they would not want me as a neighbor and I would not want to be theirs so it works out.

If any of you can help me out with information I would appreciate it. If you don't want me in your development - tell me and I will take it off my list. Both of us will be happy. If you know of a link to your development's C&R that I can use that would also help.

Thanks,
Drewboid
The short answer is there are homes that are NOT in HOA's, I recommend you look for one of those. HOA's have regulations, they do not have the ability to pick and choose which of the regulations that are in place they want to enforce. And unfortunately depending upon the Members of Board of Directors, they may INSIST that the Property Manager be very detailed in their enforcement.
I am a licensed Property Manager, I was REQUIRED to inspect every home twice a year, I dealt with obvious things; roofs and driveways which needed cleaned. However a nit picking member of the Board went on an inspection tour and insisted that I start writing up things like if a facsia board was ready to be painted. Same man watched the local paper for new businesses, and had me site a woman who had obtained a license for Interior Design and listed her home as her address. She had no clients coming to her home, she had no products delivered, she had a computer and a cell phone. She tried to get a P.O. Box, but was not permitted to have her license listed to a P.O. Box., she was in a real bind, as she could not afford rental space was feeling as if she was being forced to sell her house or give up her business. I was outraged, but had to send the violation letter (I could not refuse to enforce the regulations, I than gave her my home address and permitted her to use my address for her license till she was in a position to do something else.

So I repeat: DO NOT MOVE INTO A COMMUNITIY WITH RULES AND REGULATIONS AND THINK YOU WILL DO WHAT YOU WANT. Associations can and will FINE you up to $100.00 per day, to a maximum of $1,000 - but they have to have a hearing first. And the Board, family of the Board or Paid Employees can not sit on that Violation Committee.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
You or your agent can ask for the rules and regs prior to purchasing/viewing the property. Many of the larger communities have become accessible on the internet so you can search to find out ahead of time what to expect.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Reedsmit,
Thanks for your insight - the board member you rode with is just the type of person I am trying to avoid. However, I do want a community where there is a pool and excercise room, and some sort of activities for seniors which typically will mean an HOA. compromise is an HOA that has rules I can live with. I don't know if such an organization exists but that is why I am asking the question.

Skylinet,
I know some have the C&Rs posted on the internet - I am asking if you know of the URL because they are difficult to find with the search engines. My realestate agent will help but I was hoping to pare the list down first.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM

There's a bunch of different communities so one address would be tough.
I might be able to narrow down a few for you by answering a question I always ask 55+ buyers. Are you looking for a neighborhood with a large clubhouse with resort like amenities, or something a little more low key?
Many of the new neighborhoods have huge elaborate clubhouses (Venetian, the Valencias, Tuscany Etc)where they have a theater, card rooms, pool rooms, gym etc. Some have smaller clubhouses (Sandhurst, Royal lakes, and many others), and usually similar amenities just on a much smaller scale.
Also do you need a manned gate?
You will be paying 3-400+ a month for some of the higher end neighborhoods and more towards the 200's for some of the smaller neighborhoods, which could also play a factor in your decision.
Most folks prefer one or the other and this will narrow your search.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboid View Post
Reedsmit,
Thanks for your insight - the board member you rode with is just the type of person I am trying to avoid. However, I do want a community where there is a pool and excercise room, and some sort of activities for seniors which typically will mean an HOA. compromise is an HOA that has rules I can live with. I don't know if such an organization exists but that is why I am asking the question.

Skylinet,
I know some have the C&Rs posted on the internet - I am asking if you know of the URL because they are difficult to find with the search engines. My realestate agent will help but I was hoping to pare the list down first.
I agree, he was a real jerk, unfortunately you can have a great Board one year, who have some common sense and try to make their community better. Than the next year some ass gets elected to the Board and you have a nightmare on your hands.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I understand and cannot disagree with what Reedsmit is saying. That is the very bad part of HOA's.

Just wanted to say that not all places with HOA's are bad.........our place has an HOA. It is only $85.00 per month. We have 3 activity centers, pools, all sorts of sports stuff, 24/7/365 human run gates and security, etc,etc.

I have read our HOA agreement, and it does not seem restrictive, just common sense. The toughest rule is we cannot have a fence, and if we have a flagpole it cannot be higher then the peak of your home.

We are in central Florida, not WPB.

Frank

Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Skylinet,
Yes - we had been in FL last august and looked at several 55+ communities. the High end ones appeal to us because of the activities and elaborate clubhouses. However if we cannot live with the rules then we will be forced into one of the smaller developments. thus my question - which communities have more liberal C&Rs? A gated community is a nice ammenity but not a necessity - $300 - $400 a quarter is what I would expect for one of the larger developments with a lot of ammenities. $350,000 is probably the top that we would pay although $200 - 300 is more in our range. Again it depends upon what is offered. I saw a motorcycle friendly development in central FL with no HOA but it had no amenities and was too far from the beaches. What I am trying to do right now is eliminate those communities that have very restrictive C&Rs so we can concentrate on the others.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 AM

Drew,
The higher end communities you will be paying 3-400 a month, the lower end will be closer to 200. If you are not looking to pay the high HOA's that will help rule out a few neighborhoods. Your home price range you won't have any problem finding a nice home in either style of community.
It's tough to answer your question though without going through the HOD for every neighborhood. I have a few people that all they sell is 55+ neighborhoods and I'll see if they have any recommendations.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 AM

6 posts, read 13,808 times
Default Stay clear of anything 55+

My husband and I were living in a 55+ community and it was a living hell. These people have nothing better to do so they do all they can to make your life as miserable as theirs. We live in a gated, guarded community with a very active clubhouse. They have movies, shows, dances, cruises, trips to the theatre, etc. There are 2 shared swimming pools, tennis, gym, bacci ball, and basketball. There are condos, townhomes, villas and single family homes. The prices now are very good. It is not a 55+ community but a good portion of the community are retired and don't want the 55+ rules and regulations. There are alot of "DINKS", Double Income No Kids, that live in our community and it makes for a nice balance. There are children but it is not what we consider a family type community. It is very mixed. We pay $775 a quarter and that is for the 24/7/365 guarded gate, cable TV, total lawn maintenance and every two years the roofs are cleaned. My husband has a Harley Davidson and the couple across the way have a couple of motorcycles as well. It is Riverbridge, off of Forest Hill Blvd., west of Jog Road. The Wellington Mall is right down the road and a Publix shopping center right at the entrance to the community. We absolutely love it and would not trade it for anything! Again, avoid the 55+ communites in south Florida. You won't be sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach