U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM

36 posts, read 73,887 times

Advertisements

Moving down to Central Boca in about 5 weeks.

Have worked in Manhattan for 20 years, and have lived in NY all my life (Bronx, Queens, LI). Will not miss Manhattan and its residents. Mean-Spirited and rude, constantly rushing for no real reason. Good riddance.

Have taken many vacations to Miami Beach over the years, and obviously know the pace is slower and the weather is hotter.

Will work from home for the time being, which in itself will be quite an adjustment from the LIRR and the subway. I welcome it, but its a definite change of pace.

Have 2 kids under the age of 2 who are the greatest. Leaving my mom behind in NYC which hurts me (and her) a great deal (mostly because she's very close with my kids. She sees them every week), but I know that I cant put my life on hold anymore for 1 person. She doesnt like the heat, has friends in NY and likes NY, so for now, doesn't plan to move down.

Ultimately, time is getting short up North, and am having last minute jitters because of this extreme life change.

So, if other transplanted New Yorkers have any insight into their adjustments from NYC living to South Florida living, please share.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 AM

7,937 posts, read 19,208,782 times
Being from brooklyn born and raised..dh worked in Manhattan for a very long time, and then we moved to NJ for almost 10 years...still commuted to wall street, then commuted 4 hours in NJ...We moved here from NC after living there for 2 years and I will tell you its a nice change from NYC...My dh loves it here and wishes when he had the chance to move with a job 11 years ago we did it..Well we didnt but we are here now...I think that might be why we are so comfortable here in Central Boca because of the people...and we have met people just like us and We feel like its home and its the right place for us finally....The food, well nothing is like NY food but that is ok too because different isnt always bad...We found some GREAT bagels places like Brooklyn, Pizza well still looking..lol chinese food we did find a few good places as well...We have our favorite restaurants...Your not moving that far from me and I can tell you the transition shouldn't be to difficult although its hard in the beginning when moving without family..We have my aunt and uncle here but they travel all the time so they dont count..LOL..My parents come down for 3 months in the winter but other than that they have no plans to move down here as I have a sister and her kids in Staten Island...Anyhow, Just think positive about your experience and go with it...You will find your groove eventually or U might just love it right out of the gate....Just be prepared for the Drivers, driving in Manhattan is a walk in the park compared to the streets and highways here.... but its all good otherwise...

Good Luck

Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 AM

3,176 posts, read 7,383,698 times
Well I have moved a lot in my life. From my experience it takes time to feel more like home. There may be those sad days but try to give yourself time. I left the closest person to me but there is always visits. I know it is not the same but it can still be special times. Who knows though you say your mom does not like FL she may change her mind. Hopefully though as you meet people you will become less home sick. Working from home being a mom hopefully you can find time to join a group or activity in terms of meeting people. Very much agree about the driving here. Seen more accidents in Boca in the past year then my whole life. Good luck and often times the unknown/anxiety is worse then what it turns out to be. Moving is stressful

Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 AM

141 posts, read 433,402 times
Wife and I bought a house in palm beach gardens in october of 09. From brooklyn my entire life. We stayed there from october and just returned to bklyn for the summer a few weeks ago.

What I have learned coming back to NYC is:

- you dont realize how bad the potholes and traffic congestion are until you drive in FL for a few months. You actually do not mind driving in FL because it is a lot less stressful.

- NYC is bad for allergies. I didnt realize how much I suffer here until I returned. Allergies were a non issue in all the time we were in FL.

- NYC smells. You dont notice the smell until you are away from it for a while and then return...it smells, plus cigarette smell is always in the air.

- NYC is outdated. What is standard in FL homes (dishwasher, central air, washer/dryer) is a luxury in NYC.

Dont get me wrong, NYC is a great place. But it is what it is. Its great for jobs and many people live here for that reason. If people had the option, I think many would pick florida over NY. It is a better life for a family, especially a young family. I want to eventually live in FL for good. Only thing in the way is my family and my wifes family all live in brooklyn and we do not have any family in FL, otherwise it would be an easy decision.

If all that is standing in your way is 1 family member, go for it. You can still fly her in or visit her. Like I tell my wife, you need to do what is best for you and your family. You have your own family now.

Goodluck with whatever decision you make.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 PM

623 posts, read 1,222,905 times
I completely agree with brinked. signed - another nyc resident

Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,320,791 times
Easy transition to Miami Beach from NYC as it's kind of like living in Manhattan, but better because it's on the beach! Living in Boca would be the equivalent of Jersey I guess. Nice suburb, convenient shopping, good schools, etc. Make sure you get a place with a pool - it makes the summers bearable and it ensures you'll at least get out of the house for longer than it takes to get to your car in the driveway. It's also wonderful having space for stuff - big kitchens, big garages, lots of sf, etc. Nice to always have sun and only quick storms too.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM

71 posts, read 205,229 times
Boca Raton is said to be the "Long Island/Westchester" of Florida, to give you an idea. I have a lot of family in the Boca area, but have lived on Long Island my whole life (and frequent NYC) and I always feel in place while in Boca.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:34 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,718,442 times
Can you say, "culture shock?" lol Get ready for a nicer pace of living.
When my family moved from Central New York State to Southern Virginia (Tidewater), I couldn't get over the fact that cashiers or sales people just liked to chat a little when I went to pay for my goods. It's ok, you can manage it any way you like.
Also, I thought I would expire the first summer there, as it was hot and humid for months at a time. I lived in Jacksonville, FL, after that and I swear it was less humid than Tidewater, VA. Anyway, it might take a couple years to really acclimate to the change in weather, but FL is great. We didn't want to leave. Palm trees = vacation!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 PM

7,937 posts, read 19,208,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker94 View Post
Boca Raton is said to be the "Long Island/Westchester" of Florida, to give you an idea. I have a lot of family in the Boca area, but have lived on Long Island my whole life (and frequent NYC) and I always feel in place while in Boca.
On the contrary most of boca is Brooklyn, queens and staten island...We lived in NC and that was like living in Long Island/Westchester definitely not boca..

Most of the people we met and are friendly with are from the boro's or Manhattan itself

Old 05-07-2010, 08:14 PM

71 posts, read 205,229 times
Ok, I give up... what is NC? All I keep thinking is North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>