U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 AM

9,368 posts, read 23,940,107 times

Advertisements

Just returned from another trip to south Florida. The plan is to rent a home or condo for a minimum of two years, as I will be keeping my place in north Florida until the market improves. I've been only looking in the Mizner Park area of Boca, but am beginning to think that I should open my search to other coastal areas- from Palm Beach south.

Are there other areas that have middle and high schools comparable to Boca Community Middle and High? Walkable neighborhoods? Biking distance to the beach? I zipped through the Clematis Street area yesterday and loved it. Delray Beach, too.... What other areas should I consider? Not concerned with kid-filled neighborhood (would prefer not kid-filled), but close to Methodist Church with active youth group would be a big plus. Rent amount up to 2k.... I know that we will sacrifice bells and whistles for location.

I'll do more homework on specific schools, but I've had my kids in A-rated schools and they weren't all that. I'd rather have first-hand input from parents or teachers.

Living as far north as Palm Beach would allow me to cast my employment net further to the north. Right now I am looking for employment opportunities as far south as Ft. Lauderdale, but, given the choice, would rather live and work in Palm Beach County.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,969,942 times
Delray isnt known for their schools..Jupiter might be a great fit for you as they do have some really good schools as well...We choose boca out of anywhere else in Palm Beach because of the schools...Some of Delray does attend Boca Schools so you would have find out which ones, although I dont think that, that would apply to those near the beach...

Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 PM

71 posts, read 203,471 times
Boca really seems like your ideal area. I would check Trulia.com for more rent info...
Boca Raton Apartments For Rent and other Boca Raton Rentals — Trulia.com

Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 AM

9,368 posts, read 23,940,107 times
Default Boca it is!

I have reached the same conclusion as you, Swimmom. After spending a couple of hours checking out each middle and high school for coastal areas, I think it is Boca. Jupiter would be the other option and is a very pretty place, but is too far north and small town for us, I think. My kids really want a city feel and they are being so good about me uprooting them from their friends. We have an understanding- LOL!

I don't know how I missed that Trulia site- thank you, nyorker! Last week I contacted a Realtor whose name was on a sign in the neighborhood that I like and she just sent me a rental listing for a 2/2 home on the water in the neighborhood east of Mizner Park. Now if I could only bring myself to sell one of my children.....or swap one for a boat...

My thinking is that there are many homes for sale in that area and a few will probably turn into rentals if they do not sell. I've also been keeping notes on rentals on craigslist. If a place was listed for $2200 on April 1 and is still vacant when we move down in June, I can play let's make a deal with the rent amount.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 AM

623 posts, read 1,205,190 times
I also look at Jupiter. Very pretty, but also too far north for us and it felt a bit empty to me. Rural maybe...... I keep thinking i've missed something when I'm in Jupiter, as if I've made a wrong turn or two. Boca strikes me as lively and beautiful.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,969,942 times
MAG Boca will be a nice fit for you and your kids...that is why its so important to try and do as much homework as possible, yes boca is expensive and older in terms of homes but at the end of the day, your paying for location and schools in which we love all around so no matter where u live in life sometimes one needs to sacrafice....Im not complaining...My 15 yr old is in Disney with our friends and his friend and he is having a blast...we are very lucky as we have met some great people here...

keep us posted Mag on your progress

RV boca is and I agree Jupiter is beautiful but a bit rural, although what we did like is that is a bit newer..but its too far for us as well which is why we had rule it out..I like being driving distance to ft lauderdale, miami, weston and so forth..

Old 05-09-2010, 10:09 AM

623 posts, read 1,205,190 times
I totally agree on that too. Jupiter is newer, and has good schools, which is why we looked there.

Too quiet I think for me right now. And you're right, it's awesome to be close to miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach