Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,720 times

Advertisements

Harpers Ferry is far from a Deliverance-like experience. I moved to the area in December '09 from just outside Baltimore. I did quite a bit of research before making a decision as I have become used to the conveniences that suburban life makes available. I also had become quite tired of the commotion, the crowds and the costs of the area. I cannot speak for points farther west, but Harpers Ferry offers all of the necessary conveniences without those negatives. Based on what I think I'm hearing from your posts, I do not think you will be disappointed with the area. My advise would be to have a multi-day mid-week stay at one of the local B&Bs and do some exploring. If you have any specific questions, let me know. Giving I'm new to the area, I may be able to offer a perspective that helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MYANGELS View Post
I was reading the west va forum and it kinda scared me off alil. Is it really as back woods as people are making it out to be?
is there a variety of things to keep teens occupied and activities to take smaller children to? The blogs made it sound as though, aside from bon fires, there isnt much to do, and that it is red neck and children are academically challenged. I know it's diff strokes for diff folks, but all i have to go by is what folkes are saying.
Wow, I must be missing some of these posts.
I don't know what activities the teens in this area are missing out on except maybe belonging to a gang and hanging out on the street corners. Other than that there's plenty of stuff to do. And the folks in NOVA or the MD burbs are just as redneck as the people here in Jefferson County.
I'm just outside Shepherdstown where Shepherd University is located. There is a rather new wellness center, Welcome to the Shepherd University Wellness Center which is open to the public. There are regular music & theatrical performances open to the public at Shepherd and there is the Contemporary American Theater Festival.

Other things in Shepherdstown: Cress Creek | Home ; Bavarian Inn Shepherdstown WV

Charles Town has Charles Town Races & Slots ; Locust Hill Golf Course | Home ; OOH

Harpers Ferry: Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service) ; West Virginia white water river rafting Harpers Ferry, tubing, kayaking, canoeing, biking, team building and fishing, Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers ; Whitewater Rafting, Tubing, & Kayaking on the Shenandoah & Potomac River Near Harpers Ferry ; Home - Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Summit Point: Summit Point Motorsports Park ; Hillbrook Inn, Bed & Breakfast, A Country House Hotel

Shenandoah Junction: Mountain Heritage Arts and Crafts Festival near Harper's Ferry West Virginia ; Jefferson County Parks & Recreation

Jefferson county now has about every fast food joint kown to man from Five Guys to Panera; even three McDonalds and I think four Subways (but as many here have discussed, we did lose the California Tortilla.) And plenty of retail shopping and Grocery stores.
It's 40 minutes or less to Winchester VA, Hagerstown or Frederick MD, all with even more to do.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:50 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
Default Over reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MYANGELS View Post
I was reading the west va forum and it kinda scared me off alil. Is it really as back woods as people are making it out to be?
is there a variety of things to keep teens occupied and activities to take smaller children to? The blogs made it sound as though, aside from bon fires, there isnt much to do, and that it is red neck and children are academically challenged. I know it's diff strokes for diff folks, but all i have to go by is what folkes are saying.
Wow, this is about the most over-reactive statement I have read on this board.

I can assure you that we are not a state full of academically challenged rednecks but if that is the way you feel then VA would probably be best. That would allow you to pay the higher taxes and all that go with VA.

A Harper's Ferry location puts you in close proximity to all the activities your family would ever need.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 15,190 times
Default Relocating

I am thinking about relocating from Arizona to West Virginia...Not looking to live in the city though. Where are the suburban areas? It would be my boyfriend and I with no kids..I want some peace and quiet! lol

Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 15,190 times
Default Relocating

Has anyone lived in Charleston or Huntington, WV? If so, what is it like? Is it city or country?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Hi,

I think around the Charleston area would be a great bet for you and your boy friend. A community like Pinch would work best because it is a small suburb just about 8 miles from downtown, but yet small enough to fill quiet and charming. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamskate View Post
Has anyone lived in Charleston or Huntington, WV? If so, what is it like? Is it city or country?
What sort of work do you folks do? Morgantown has lots of amenities and low unemployment. You might want to check it out.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:34 PM

552 posts, read 738,514 times
I was planning on chiming in, but I really don't appreciate stereotypical comments. We are as redneck hillbilly as the 5 states that surround us.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Speaking about Huntington, the city itself is obviously more urban but there are several areas around it that would be a better fit for the suburban area you are looking for. The towns of Barboursville and Milton would be the closest to Huntington and provide the best convenience as well. The Huntington area is a great place for families with the parks and things to do here through the Huntington Museum of Art and Marshall University. Huntington was recently named as one of the best places in WV to raise children and was also named as the 8th best housing market in the US for 2012. If you would like any other info on Huntington, I would be more than happy to help.

Tim

Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 AM

552 posts, read 738,514 times
Quote:
I have lived in both, they are both cities but not sprawled. I use to live in elkview/pinch when I was a kid. We lived in the middle of no where with our closest neighbor a mile away, yet it only took 20 min to get to downtown charleston. It's the most dense city in wv, but like I said not very spread out, at least in that direction. Huntington I can't say because we lived downtown briefly and I can't remember how spread out it was. Each city/county has its pros and cons. I liked the parks and layout of Huntington, but downtown charleston was more built up. If you really want peace and quiet you might also consider other communities as they each have their own benefits. I'd say take a tour via rental car you could see most of the state in a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia