Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamskate View Post
Are the people friendly? The people in Arizona are so freaking rude! Everyone for themselves, PATHETIC! lol
Ive heard Arizona sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM

14 posts, read 15,190 times
Are there any extended stay hotels in the area?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 PM

Arizona really does sucks! I don't know how I did it for 20 years! lol... I stayed because my ******* husband took care of me, but I'm ready 2 move on!(out with the old, in with the new)

Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamskate View Post
Arizona really does sucks! I don't know how I did it for 20 years! lol... I stayed because my ******* husband took care of me, but I'm ready 2 move on!(out with the old, in with the new)
Where in Arizona do you live? I actually just moved from Elkins, WV to Scottsdale about 9 months ago. It is like a different world out here. First difference I noticed almost immediately... WV is more alcohol friendly. I've never had a drink taken from me in my life until I moved here. 2 am rolls around and a guy comes around and takes peoples drinks??? WTF... Also, apparently its cool to carry around semi automatic weapons just don't drink IN a bar after 2 am... Makes complete sense.

Another difference is Arizona makes everything "criminal". It's basically the American version of a police state. There is not only speeding...but criminal speeding, there is not only DUIs, but there are criminal DUIs... You can actually be convicted of a felony....for "criminal" speeding and be taken to jail.... BLOWS MY MIND!!! I'm not advocating either... but it's just excessive. Lets not forget about those awesome speed vans located along streets... Set up by a private company that makes a profit and sends the state a portion of the proceeds. Let us not forgot that awesome thing they tried pulling where if you're darker than a pair of khaki pants when you get pulled over they can ask to see your proof of citizenship (Better not lie in a tanning bed). An awesome example of what happens when Republicans chronically control the state.

A couple positives about Arizona are... well, if you hate the cold and don't mind 120 degree days for a few months out of the summer, the weather is really nice. Also, if you're interested in buying... you can buy a mansion here for what you'd pay for a small dump in most parts of the country.... If you've got the job and credit for that... given that the Phoenix Metro Area isn't exactly churning out jobs right now, its a little difficult.

School districts here are not hiring... or giving their current employees raises... despite the fact the cost of living continues to go up. Also Education in AZ is a joke... very low pay, while continually adding on further requirements. 60 hours of English Second Language Training in your first two years of teaching???? REALLY?

I hate to say it... but it looks like my fiance and I will be heading back East in May... briefly stopping in WV and then heading over to Maryland where I'm applying for teaching positions that actually pay well respectively compared to the COL, and because its a progressive non-police state.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Where in Arizona do you live? I actually just moved from Elkins, WV to Scottsdale about 9 months ago. It is like a different world out here. First difference I noticed almost immediately... WV is more alcohol friendly. I've never had a drink taken from me in my life until I moved here. 2 am rolls around and a guy comes around and takes peoples drinks??? WTF... Also, apparently its cool to carry around semi automatic weapons just don't drink IN a bar after 2 am... Makes complete sense.

Another difference is Arizona makes everything "criminal". It's basically the American version of a police state. There is not only speeding...but criminal speeding, there is not only DUIs, but there are criminal DUIs... You can actually be convicted of a felony....for "criminal" speeding and be taken to jail.... BLOWS MY MIND!!! I'm not advocating either... but it's just excessive. Lets not forget about those awesome speed vans located along streets... Set up by a private company that makes a profit and sends the state a portion of the proceeds. Let us not forgot that awesome thing they tried pulling where if you're darker than a pair of khaki pants when you get pulled over they can ask to see your proof of citizenship (Better not lie in a tanning bed). An awesome example of what happens when Republicans chronically control the state.

A couple positives about Arizona are... well, if you hate the cold and don't mind 120 degree days for a few months out of the summer, the weather is really nice. Also, if you're interested in buying... you can buy a mansion here for what you'd pay for a small dump in most parts of the country.... If you've got the job and credit for that... given that the Phoenix Metro Area isn't exactly churning out jobs right now, its a little difficult.

School districts here are not hiring... or giving their current employees raises... despite the fact the cost of living continues to go up. Also Education in AZ is a joke... very low pay, while continually adding on further requirements. 60 hours of English Second Language Training in your first two years of teaching???? REALLY?

I hate to say it... but it looks like my fiance and I will be heading back East in May... briefly stopping in WV and then heading over to Maryland where I'm applying for teaching positions that actually pay well respectively compared to the COL, and because its a progressive non-police state.

Glad to hear that!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Glad to hear that!
Thanks Buttercup!

We'll probably end up in Rockville or Frederick areas... Maybe even over by Silver Spring.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Thanks Buttercup!

We'll probably end up in Rockville or Frederick areas... Maybe even over by Silver Spring.
Im in Rockville right now. If you ever want to train MMA let me know and I can give you some good suggestions.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,769 times
I was born in West Virginia, just south of Wheeling, and now live across the border in Ohio. I've never seen a toothless hillbilly in all that time. That's a horrible stereotype and you all should be ashamed of perpetuating it. It's a beautiful state, within just hours of the east coast, and we have symphonies, top-rated medical centers, the nation's FBI data center, NASA telescopes and antennae that peer into space, and yep, most of usn's have our dadgummed teeth.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 AM

The jobs really do suck here!(everything does) I thought about going back to Maryland or DC where I'm orginally from, but when I heard that DC has the HIGHEST STD rate in the NATION, I was blown away! That is SICK! I think I'll like West Virginia and then I was told Ohio and Kentucky is right across the bridge...By the way, I live in Chandler Arizona with a bunch of SNOBS! lol

Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM

What can you tell me about Ohio? How are the small towns there? I have a friend that lives in Cinncinnati, but I know that's further out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia