Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 11,209 times

Advertisements

WOW Huge response, thanks a million.

@ tbailey1138
Thanks for all the links, this evening will be a lot of reading.

Quote:
Beware of WV. It's a state that a great many people are born to - and never leave. Those who move here from away tend to fall under the same spell and stay put, as well.
Well that's what we are looking for, somewhere to settle down, raise our kids and just have a nice home.

@ buzz
well I do understand your comments. Vegas is also a little in the running, love the city. Just it isn‘t really the greatest Place on the world to raise Kids. Also living in a Home bordering 2, 3, 4, + neighbors is something we are no big fan of. But it does have it's nice sides Lake Mead, 24/7 town, Mt. Charleston and so on......

Now we want to click through all the links and gather more information.
One more thing, do you have Fire ants in the area? In Florida we had all the green of the world, but so many annoying critters that took the fun out of a lot of activities.
Can't wait to burn our bridges over here and get back to the US.

Mike, Nikki & Kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 695 times
Default Looking to move to WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenikki View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are coming back to the US, which will happen in 2011. We are not looking to settle down right away, since we are taking our 4x4 expedition truck with us and want to travel the USA first. Once we have finshed our traveling we want to find the perfect spot for us.
First of a little about us, we are a Familie with 2 kids (3.5 & 0.5 years old at the time) and our Dog. We are not new to the US, have already lived in Las Vegas, Florida and I was born & raised some in NJ. Though the last couple years we lived in Europe, pretty much 50/50 between Germnay and Sweden. Just this ain’t our cup of Tea here, wrong country )
We don’t want to move every couple years (like we have in the past), so we are doing lots of online research and once on the road we’ll be inspecting our future location very carefully, before we lock in. Then this shall be it, where our Kids grow up and where we call it HOME.
We have a longer List of expectation to our future home and do believe WV could be it. Here our list:
- 3/4 bedroom home, 4th would be used as office
- large lot min 5 acres, better 10+
- secluded location
- within 40-50min to a larger town/city
- a small town nearby (5-10 miles) for school and the basic needs
- All in a price range up to 150K, lower is always nice

Well the perfect place is pretty easy to find, but the suroundings have to fit also. We are not into hunting, but have so many other things we like to do. Like Boating (river/lake nearby ~ 60mins) , biking, hiking, sking and so much more. Weather is important also, after having a very cold Winter here (minus 13 to 22 degrees and a seen record of minus 33) that was a little much. After checking out most towns in WV it seems to be around 15-20 degress in the winter as a average. Which is great, lots of snow but not freezing cold.
The summers seem to be about 80+ degrees in the July/August, with some humidty. My wife loves it warm, sick and tired of the rainy / cold summers from here. With those Temps. I do believe it is safe to say, swimming is possible in lakes around the area.

I have read tons of Post here in the Forum, which some people seem to get a little lonely with the small town living. We won’t have that problem, since we are living in a really small town at the time (Total Pop. Of 18, yeah that is with us 4 ), so more Cows and Elks then People
Our nearest Pizza Place (can’t really call it that, European don’t know how to make a real Pizza) is about 80 miles away, which also gives the distance for reasonable shopping, drugstore or anything else.

Now we have not said WV is it yet, but for sure it is moving up the list. For some reason the area around Huntington is standing out of the crowd.
Now we do have some questions you Guys and Gals hope you could help us with.
1. Any rural School districts that stand out of the crowd ? Bad or Good
2. Are our Temperture expectation realistic ?
3. Any restrictions on the lakes for kind/speed/size of Boat?
4. Are their Yard sales, Flea markets, Action Houses in the area (we like to find things)
5. Can someone recommend a Real Estate Website which lets people search the MLS (realtor.com does not work with our IP)
6. How high are property Taxes in the area. Can't seem to find any information on that

For now that shall be enough. If anyone has questions or needs help, just ask.
Have to get the kids into bed now.

Mike, Nikki & Kids
If you are looking to move back in a couple of years take a look at the Fayetteville area. Ranked as one of the best adventure towns in America. Hiking, biking, climbing, rafting, plenty to do. Summersville lake, the largest lake in the state is only 20 minutes away. Fayetteville has plenty of great places to eat with the top pizza place (Pies and Pint's) located here. Schools are ok. Like all they require you're envolvement. There are also a couple of private schools. I have had 3 kids grow up here and they have loved it. They have each traveled the world and enjoy calling WV home. Looking for land check out the developers near Fayetteville. They offer everything from develope tracks to undeveloped. Wild Rock, located near one of the outfitters has a large selection of offerings.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM

180 posts, read 352,204 times
I also recommend Summersville. You should check it out.
www.summersvillewv.org - Summersville Lake

Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM

306 posts, read 605,296 times
Well, in Hardy County, WV...things are beautiful....lots of parks and campgrounds..great school system, and 50-60 minutes to either Winchester, VA or Harrisonburg, VA for shopping. But, we do have a Walmart in Moorefield, WV for those things you need quickly.

It is very rural here. I too am from NJ, have only lived here for 2 1/2 years, but I have no desire to leave. Our weather is very close to NJ. As a matter of fact, in the last few years, prior to me coming to WV, we got more snow in NJ then my family did here in Lost River, WV!!

Many people comment on Lost River, WV at work when I tell them it's where I live. People rant and rave about how beautiful it is here.

Just another place/county for you to think about..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia