U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM

10,040 posts, read 12,596,398 times

Advertisements

I can't argue with that. However, my daughter has lived in
Martinsburg for some time now. They get very little snow there.
They seem to get more in Charleston (WV). Maybe when it
fizzles out it snows.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,268,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I can't argue with that. However, my daughter has lived in
Martinsburg for some time now. They get very little snow there.
They seem to get more in Charleston (WV). Maybe when it
fizzles out it snows.
The Eastern Panhandle is on the eastern slope of the Appalachians - precip is squeezed out over the mountains, resulting in rather dry (mini-desert) conditions on the eastern slopes. This means less rain and also less snow in places like Martinsville. I lived in Roanoke for 10 years, also on the eastern slope - it was so dry, I considered removing all bushes and flowers and replacing with cactus - in fact, prickly pear cactus does grow naturally on the shale barrens of eastern slope in the E. panhandle of WV, and in western Virginia.

p.s. I think we have hijacked the poor lady's thread :-)

Old 06-27-2010, 01:04 PM

10,040 posts, read 12,596,398 times
Maybe not. Now she knows if she wants warmer weather, she should locate in Martinsburg, Charleston, or Tim's Huntington. If she wants outstanding nearby outdoor amenities, a strong job market, and good cultural setting she should locate in Morgantown. She just has some choices to make, which is just as it should be. In any event, she is making a good choice by moving to
West Virginia.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM

19,239 posts, read 24,135,128 times
Thanks Clint! Will check it out.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM

19,239 posts, read 24,135,128 times
I am not moving only for weather. WV is one place I am thinking about.
I like snow with in reason, but Long Island winters are looonnnggg -and I might add ugly.
Last winter the snow was out of control - but not just on LI

What I do like is an earlier longer spring and a longer later autumn.

I live in a University town now and I love it. it takes away some of the obnoxiousness of the suburbs and adds some culture and diversity.

So are you saying RVAtoCNC that people on the eastern Panhandle would tend to resent northerners?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,268,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not moving only for weather. WV is one place I am thinking about.
I like snow with in reason, but Long Island winters are looonnnggg -and I might add ugly.
Last winter the snow was out of control - but not just on LI

What I do like is an earlier longer spring and a longer later autumn.

I live in a University town now and I love it. it takes away some of the obnoxiousness of the suburbs and adds some culture and diversity.

So are you saying RVAtoCNC that people on the eastern Panhandle would tend to resent northerners?
no, not at all - well, may be some of long time residents and oldtimers resent the growth, but the e. panhandle these days is a far suburban area of DC. Many who work in the DC or nearby MD or No. VA have "migrated" out there, and most of these migrants are originally from places like NY, PA, Maryland or elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:16 PM

380 posts, read 1,018,183 times
Sheena,
I'll dm you a link to my house.

We do have 4 true seasons. Check out these averages at weather.com; [url=http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/25442?role]Average Weather for Shenandoah Junction, WV - Temperature and Precipitation[/url]=
(If the link doesn't work go to weather.com and use 25442 as the location. Then go to ten day and scroll down to choose averages.) Check out the consistancy in the average rainfall, this is far from an eastern slope mini desert climate as RVAtoCNC claims. As most locations, our climate varies from the averages; this winter we had snowzilla to deal with here and now it's very hot. But we are really at the top of the Shenandoah Valley and enjoy some very fertile land with a good climate. Our little garden plot does quite well, and we don't have any cacti.
Most of us "old-timers" don't resent the growth. It has been the orchard & farm owners who have profited from selling land to build the new homes on. And those of us in real estate & construcdtion make our living from growth. The only issue is usually with the small but vocal group of immigrants from the DC area who move out here to get away from the high taxes & overcrowding, and then cry for more county services.
This is a very diverse location, I don't think you'll find any general resentment towards any specific group of people.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM

19 posts, read 29,635 times
Default West Virginia on my mind. Any advice?

"My Nephew goes to University of WV"

It is known ONLY as "West Virginia University," or, of course, "WVU"-'Where lessons are learned, and couches are burned'

Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Goodfellow View Post
"My Nephew goes to University of WV"

It is known ONLY as "West Virginia University," or, of course, "WVU"-'Where lessons are learned, and couches are burned'
???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or