Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 AM

7 posts, read 10,923 times

Advertisements

Moving to Charleston from Michigan. I hate long, snowy, cold winters. How are the winters in Charleston? How are the winters compared to Lexington, KY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:17 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Temp wise the two cities are comparable during the winter months. However Charleston gets slight more precipitation and due to being closer to the western slope of the Alleghenies it receives a little more snow on avg.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Thank you. Just accepted a to job transfer to Charleston. Makes me feel better. I'm familiar with winters in Lexington. Seeing all the adds for skiing in WV worried me.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
There is only skiing in the higher elevations. Charleston and especially Huntington really don't receive significant snowstorms that often. But you never want to rule that out. Almost always once or twice a winter we will get a real good ice/snow combo that really messes up travel and/or electricity for a couple of days.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks. I can handle mild winters.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidmeat View Post
Thanks. I can handle mild winters.
Better than Northern WV where the sun never shines, it is always cold, and it snows constantly.

It is no North Carolina, but it isnt that bad.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 35,067 times
"Better than Northern WV where the sun never shines, it is always cold, and it snows constantly."

Really? Have you ever been here? What is your definition of 'northern WV'?

It's true that Wheeling/Steubenville received about four inches of snow yesterday. The sun does shine here-in fact, we had some sun yesterday, while north of us was getting hammered.

What is your definition of 'cold'?

It doesn't snow constantly.

I just want folks to get the facts.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Goodfellow View Post
"Better than Northern WV where the sun never shines, it is always cold, and it snows constantly."

Really? Have you ever been here? What is your definition of 'northern WV'?

It's true that Wheeling/Steubenville received about four inches of snow yesterday. The sun does shine here-in fact, we had some sun yesterday, while north of us was getting hammered.

What is your definition of 'cold'?

It doesn't snow constantly.

I just want folks to get the facts.
Yes, I lived in Morgantown most my life. I am sure Siberia is worse, but I would hardly call the winter good. I am not disputing NCWV is the best part of the state, but it does have bad winter weather.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 AM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
Compared to Beckley and the amount of snow they get, north central WV is nothing. I know because I've lived in both. Not much snow at all in Clarksburg these days (30" a year on average maybe) and even less as you go west. I wish we could go back to the days of bigger snowstorms myself but am afraid global warming has taken most of that away, except for the rare storm when conditions are just right. i miss the snow we used to get.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM

170 posts, read 252,205 times
Route50guy, please fill me in on Clarksburg weather.we live in Sacramento Ca now but are from Buffalo Ny having lived 40 winters there. Thinking of taking a job transfer to Clarkburg and wondering about the winters, annual sunshine, dog friendliness , and also how "hilly" is the daily driving.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia