U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 PM

68 posts, read 168,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Let me predict this:

If Shelly Moore Capito wants this Senate Seat...all she has to do is run for it...
We'll see.

Were I still a Democrat, I would hold the likes of Manchin accountable for voting against the people of West Virginia as a delegate in the primaries, and point to his blabbering to the media for doing so, "Obama's got it!" I thought his day as Governor of West Virginia was finished when he uttered that nonsense, but brains in the off position apparently find this cheerleading appealing to them. Republicans have their own soul-searching to do with representation (or lack of it), but I left the Democratic Party when they started coming out of the closet as card-carrying communists.

As a rubber stamp for the corruption behind the puppet Obama, which is to the dissolution of The United States, I would hope there be opposition to Manchin appointing himself to this position as Senator.

I don't agree with everything Capito does . .
Project Vote Smart - Representative Shelley Moore Capito - Voting Record

and I'm not a Republican, but I did write her a thank you for voting against the bailout, the right thing to do, and for speaking out against The Department of Homeland Security labeling veterans as potential domestic terrorists. It's my understanding, Capito also voted against the government takeover of healthcare . . to her credit.

Quote:
Matheney said the executive board of the West Virginia AFL-CIO passed a resolution last Tuesday asking Manchin to appoint himself “as soon as possible.”
Labor, business push Manchin to appoint self - Shira Toeplitz - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM

79,559 posts, read 35,181,217 times
When Byrd became senator in 1959, West Virginia ranked No. 39 in median family income, and No. 42 in per capita income. Today, it's No. 48 in both categories.

All Byrd's fault? Of course not. It just shows that a ton of federal pork can do next to nothing or even hurt a state.

Bryd has been gone long enough to discuss this.

Brian Bolduc: Robert Byrd's Highways to Nowhere - WSJ.com

Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 PM

298 posts, read 541,437 times
So, the time is getting close to Manchin naming Byrd's successor..I wonder who it will be???

Old 07-18-2010, 01:32 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,802,926 times
Amen.

YouTube - U.S. Senator Robert C. Byrd Video Montage

Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM

12,306 posts, read 16,020,040 times
I recall attending a dedication event in April of 2000 at the Martinsburg B&O Roundhouse. Sen. Byrd was in attendence and offered one of the most fantastic, historicaly riveting dedication speeches I have ever heard. Although I am paraphrasing, the late Senator was talking about the heyday of the roundhouse during the period of the Civil War, at one point he exclaimed "and the people of Martinsburg would hear the mighty roar of the engines coming into town..." and as if right on cue, a freight train came whistling and roaring by the roundhouse.

Everyone in attendance cheered and clapped as the timing was just pure magic.

The late Sen Byrd excalimed "Folks- if that isn't Divine intervention to this cause I don't know what is!"

It was truly amazing. He was one of the last true statesman and perfected orators in this country. Regardless of his idelogical bent, I do offer my respect, especially when respect is due.

I hope he is happily joined back together with his wife and playing his fiddle again.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,802,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6wtf6lol6 View Post
Personally, I know nothing about Senator Byrd except that he was the guy who said this: video removed by moderator - trolling
I agree, you know nothing about Senator Byrd. Perhaps you might try this video instead. Where would we be now if Congress had listened Byrd?

YouTube - Senator Byrd's Speech Opposing Iraq War 3/19/03 Part 1

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-02-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM

80 posts, read 226,167 times
By the way Sen. Byrd's album Mountain Fiddler that he recorded back in the 70's and feature's his fiddle playing and singing has been re-issued on CD by County Records in Charlottesville,VA. He is backed by then members of the Country Gentlemen: Doyle Lawson,James Bailey,and Spider Gilliam. Titles include Cumberland Gap,Old Joe Clark,Cripple Creek,and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia