Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM

334 posts, read 661,773 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of retiring to WV. Is there any part of the state that has warmer milder winters than the rest of the state? Also how cold does it usually get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,160 times
It's a big state with quite a varied climate; when considering WV be more concerned with elevation. Here's part of a post I made just the other day about the eastern panhandle:
We do have 4 true seasons. Check out these averages at weather.com; Average Weather for Shenandoah Junction, WV - Temperature and Precipitation=
(If the link doesn't work go to weather.com and use 25442 as the location. Then go to ten day and scroll down to choose averages.) Check out the consistancy in the average rainfall, this is far from an eastern slope mini desert climate as RVAtoCNC claims. As most locations, our climate varies from the averages; this winter we had snowzilla to deal with here and now it's very hot. But we are really at the top of the Shenandoah Valley and enjoy some very fertile land with a good climate. Our little garden plot does quite well, and we don't have any cacti.

But topographically & climatologically, the eastern panhandle isn'r really like the rest of WV. I'm sure some folks from other areas can give you an idea of the variations within the more mountainous regions.
After narrowing down the areas based on climate, you will want to consider cost of living & your desire for seclusion, both of which also vary greatly within the state.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM

80 posts, read 222,133 times
Charleston winters are mild in comparison to the rest of the state. I live in Fayetteville and find the winters too long and cold.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,562,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
I am thinking of retiring to WV. Is there any part of the state that has warmer milder winters than the rest of the state? Also how cold does it usually get?
The SW part of the state (Charleston) is zone 6/7 with winter lows only rarely dipping below zero (record is maybe minus 17 or so) Snow is frequent but often does not stick or melts rather quickly.
And contrary to the previous poster, there are cactus in parts of the eastern slope of the Allegheny mountains in/near the eastern panhandle of WV - Here is a link to cactus in Mineral County WV which is in the western part of the eastern panhandle, but maybe not in far-eastern Jefferson Co. - I am not sure.

Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, West Virginia Division of Natural Resources

Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM

306 posts, read 605,296 times
No bad over here in Hardy County either. Beautiful mountains, winters are average. Some snow but not lots, although I think we all got slammed this past winter, blah!!! I think we average a bad winter about every 6 years.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
I guess I have a different perspective since I live in the Mojave Desert where we had less than two inches of rain in 2009, winters are mild, it snows maybe once every five years in the Valley, but if we want snow we drive 40 minutes up on one of our surrounding mountains. And after snow skiing we can drive out to the lake for water skiing in the same day.

In West Virginia when I was was growing up I remember four seasons ...almost winter, winter, more winter, and road construction. My favorite was almost winter when the leaves changed colors.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
If it's warm temps you are seeking I'd say either the Eastern Panhandle, which has mild DC type winters due to Noreaster air currents or the southwestern part of the State near Huntington will give you the warmest climates.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM

95 posts, read 290,912 times
Im looking forward to the milder climate wv has to offer.these 107 degree summers are murder.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,789 times
Living in Western Greenbrier County above 2700 and 3100 ft. The winters on average here is between 8 and 15 inches of snow while on the east side you hardly have a dusting. Butt can be pretty rough. We have our share of blizzard like conditions, and extremely cold temperatures. Back in 2009 we got up to 34 inches within 24 hours. and our share of blizzards especially if we have a hurricane in the late fall. Eastern side of the county however is a whole different world compared to here. and it can be hotter here then in the eastern. The scenery is breathtaking. Especially right now in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia