Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM

166 posts, read 362,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
They can do the same thing ....divide the space W/O distroying & rebuilding.
I prefer destroy & rebuild to leaving an empty building (like the old Lowes). Plus, construction = jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Nothing wrong with the old Lowes...could be remodeled into smaller spaces Except the Owners dont want it done.
There would be jobs with the remodel also.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM

84 posts, read 202,063 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the old Lowes...could be remodeled into smaller spaces Except the Owners dont want it done.
I've been hoping that a BJs or Sams would have moved in there by now. I still think the mall as a whole needs to be dozed. What's wrong with putting in a town center? Better yet......a civic center for concerts and sporting events?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Sears would be great for Sams Club! Whats a BJ?

Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 PM

352 posts, read 796,730 times
Quote:
Sears would be great for Sams Club! Whats a BJ?

BJ,s is a warehouse "club" like Sam's or (best of all) Costco. They are all over the East, we had one in Florida,,,not bad but, Costco is BEST.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,584 times
Default Martinsburg Mall Has Been Sold

Martinsburg Mall sold - journal-news.net | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

I wish the new owners well. But I think the train has left the station. I agree with other posters here, at this point, the mall should be raised and turned into a towncenter that would give the Commons a run for its money.

If not acquire anchors that are NOT located in Hagerstown or Winchester:
  • An IMAX movie theater
  • Wegmans supermarket
  • Bass Pro Store (wilderness/outdoor store)
  • Bj's Wholesale Club (to rival Costco or Sam's Club)

Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Big Box stores everywhere are under seige. They are hard pressed to compete with the specialty stores like Loews, or the discount stores like Walmart and Target. In addition, they are faced with stiff competition from internet order companies that can undercut them in price due to lower labor and overhead costs.

Unless they can come up with new strategies to survive, they are all likely to disappear everywhere. You see more and more of their stores closing every day. That leaves the malls holding the bag and struggling to find new uses for the space. In many cases, unless an area is in rapid growth mode, that is impossible to do.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
The problem is often there is nobody to put in the space. Martinsburg is a growing area though, so that would help. Here in Morgantown, the oldest mall had a lot of empty space but due to growth The University took over part of it for the education program (OLLI) for retired people, and Mylan Pharma took over the old Lowe's spot and turned it into their accounting department. A call center occupies another large section too. There are still some empty slots, but not very many.

These malls seem to have a useful retail lifespan of around 40 years, then if there is no other use for them they fall into decay because someone is building a newer, more modern alternative. The plywood and chipboard construction techniques they have been using since the 60s doesn't help any either, because once a place looks worn out, the fake veneer starts to look really tacky.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Default Martinsburg Development News

Construction will begin soon on the new Marriott next to the Holiday Inn on Foxcroft Avenue very soon. A sign for Panhandle Builders has been posted and equipment has been placed on the currently empty lot. I assume this will still be a Fairfield Marriott (as originally proposed).

This is one of two hotels currently under construction in Martinsburg. Site preparation has begun on a new Hilton Garden Inn off of Apple Harvest Drive next to The Commons. This is part of a planned development called Cornerstone. Current plans include a second hotel (not yet announced), a restaurant/pad site (also not yet announced) and seven apartment buildings.

In relevance to this thread, bulldozers and a surveying crew have been at the old Sears site at the Martinsburg Mall recently. Perhaps they are preparing to tear down/build something new there? Hopefully, it is a shame to see perfectly in-shape buildings sit vacant like that one has. -mmccul

Last edited by mmccul; 06-01-2014 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 06-01-2014, 07:51 PM

114 posts, read 203,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Construction will begin soon on the new Marriott next to the Holiday Inn on Foxcroft Avenue very soon. A sign for Panhandle Builders has been posted and equipment has been placed on the currently empty lot. I assume this will still be a Fairfield Marriott (as originally proposed).

This is one of two hotels currently under construction in Martinsburg. Site preparation has begun on a new Hilton Garden Inn off of Apple Harvest Drive next to The Commons. This is part of a planned development called Cornerstone. Current plans include a second hotel (not yet announced), a restaurant/pad site (also not yet announced) and seven apartment buildings.

In relevance to this thread, bulldozers and a surveying crew have been at the old Sears site at the Martinsburg Mall recently. Perhaps they are preparing to tear down/build something new there? Hopefully, it is a shame to see perfectly in-shape buildings sit vacant like that one has. -mmccul
mmccul: Thank you for sharing this news.

A worker at the Panera Bread in Ranson recently told me they're putting in a location at the Sear's site. (Those who read my "Kickin' and Screamin'" thread I posted back in 2012 when I first learned I was having to move here will know this pleases me.) I'll believe it when I see it, and hopefully it will not be another "wanna be" like many of the stores in The Commons (i.e. smaller versions those stores). I'm sure the new Golden Corral on Foxcroft is full size though, and I don't think I need to explain why.

As for this planned Cornerstone development off Apple Harvest, God help us all if something isn't done beforehand regarding the poor design of that stretch of 45/9, which reportedly is being evaluated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia