Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybakin247 View Post
Your only complaint? Seriously?

As a soon-to-be resident of M-burg and coming from a city where independently-owned restaurants, cafes and boutique specialty shops abound, I am in complete agreement with you on this one, At-Chilles. I have been baffled as to why there do not seem to be any good non-chain restaurants in M-burg, or have I just not found one yet? I've asked around of the few people I've come into contact with there, but everyone always says "Have you been to Shepherdstown yet?" ***sigh***

Claybakin --- I'm actually fairly easy to please. I'm one of those kind of guys who can go into a neighborhood cafe/bistro....and if the service is slow/bad, I could give a rip as long as the food is delicious. I really have no complaints other than I'd like to see Martinsburg live up to its true potential without the end result of my property taxes doubling

Like you, I'd like to see Martinsburg's beautiful, old commercial buildings/downtown once again become the center of its physical being and be inhabited by home-spun shopkeepers/artists/chefs/entrepreneurs. I'd rather spend my money in the community, at a business, that is home-spun and of local talent -- than to see it go to Darden Inc. of Orlando Florida. I want to see Clarence Otis and the hierarchy over at Darden have their bonuses/stock options shrink rather than expand.

I don't know much about Richmond where you came from, but I can tell you that there are large neighborhoods in Portland, Oregon, where Wal-Marts are essentially banned and every restaurant is run/owned by a chef who lives in the neighborhood{From Ethiopian, to Biscuits and Gravy, to Toro Bravo small plates -- and not a penny more expensive than the normal check at the end of the night from Olive Garden }. Local garden and hardware stores abound too! There are local potters, furniture makers, jewelers, butchers, etc. And the whole thing is hugely vibrant. These folks understand what self-cannibalization is.

For me its also a philosophical statement that speaks to both decentralization and inefficiency. And in the context to which I am writing here -- inefficiency is a great thing.

PS - Both Shepherdstown and Berkeley Springs are fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Claybakin --- I'm actually fairly easy to please. I'm one of those kind of guys who can go into a neighborhood cafe/bistro....and if the service is slow/bad, I could give a rip as long as the food is delicious. I really have no complaints other than I'd like to see Martinsburg live up to its true potential without the end result of my property taxes doubling

Like you, I'd like to see Martinsburg's beautiful, old commercial buildings/downtown once again become the center of its physical being and be inhabited by home-spun shopkeepers/artists/chefs/entrepreneurs. I'd rather spend my money in the community, at a business, that is home-spun and of local talent -- than to see it go to Darden Inc. of Orlando Florida. I want to see Clarence Otis and the hierarchy over at Darden have their bonuses/stock options shrink rather than expand.

I don't know much about Richmond where you came from, but I can tell you that there are large neighborhoods in Portland, Oregon, where Wal-Marts are essentially banned and every restaurant is run/owned by a chef who lives in the neighborhood{From Ethiopian, to Biscuits and Gravy, to Toro Bravo small plates -- and not a penny more expensive than the normal check at the end of the night from Olive Garden }. Local garden and hardware stores abound too! There are local potters, furniture makers, jewelers, butchers, etc. And the whole thing is hugely vibrant. These folks understand what self-cannibalization is.

For me its also a philosophical statement that speaks to both decentralization and inefficiency. And in the context to which I am writing here -- inefficiency is a great thing.

PS - Both Shepherdstown and Berkeley Springs are fantastic.
I've often thought the same thing about Martinsburg and its gorgeous, underutilized downtown. I agree about Portland, talk about a community that supports small business (and I have family there who own several).

I think the problem is that the population boom in the EP is made up of folks who live there simply because they are priced out of areas closer in. Once they've made their 2 hour drive home the last thing they want to do is go downtown to an independent cafe where they won't know how the service will be or the food will taste. They'll go to Olive Garden, where they get the same thing, each time, and know what to expect. That is, if they have any time after their 4 hours of commuting to even leave the house.

As for the housing stock in downtown Martinsburg - gorgeous, and affordable. I understand why few who commute to NOVA and DC would want to own something downtown; what commuter has time to put all that work in to refurbishing a place like that, especially when you can buy a Beezer special for $150k right out on the highway that you need to use to get to work?

The answer is more good jobs in Martinsburg. The answer could also be to convince some of the NCTC workers to live in downtown Martinsburg instead of Maryland (tax credits, closing cost assistance, etc).

As for the mall, they seem to be single use items that get discarded once they aren't the favored retail center of the region. Once the major stores leave, your left with what, Sears, Belk, etc. Fewer and fewer shoppers come. Maybe a Megachurch takes over one side of it, a community college the other. Repairs get deferred, tenants leave, mall gets razed.

All that usable indoor space. Maybe someday some viable alternate uses for a mall will be deveoped (housing? Indoor skatepark?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 60,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
There are Several Non chain eateries in town! Cripe look around! The Station Grill on King St is one...Station Grill Restaurant - Martinsburg, WV Blue White Grill in another...Blue White Grill (Blue White Grill Of West Virginia) - Martinsburg, West Virginia (WV) | Company Profile There are lots more! Just look around & get to know the town!
There are also these:

Peking Gourmet: long-time family business, great food
Case Visone: excellent Italian food from a great cook who knows Italy
King's: great NY style deli and pizza run by real Italians
King's Chicken Rotisserie
Several "family" restaurants: Meadow Lane, Warm Springs Eatery
Believe it or not, the Holiday Inn does a great prime rib
Las Trancas: great Mexican food
Habanero Mexican Grill: fresh tacos, etc., made while you wait
East Moon Asian Restaurant: Thai with some good Chinese dishes, run by a lovely couple who know how to cook
Kobe Japanese Steakhouse: local chain, fun, good quality food and good sushi
Jamaica Cafe: family run, food cooked to order, delicious
Fat Tuesday: I haven't been but the reviews indicate it's good Cajun and New Orleans cooking
The Purple Iris: I haven't been but it has a really interesting menu

Other great restaurants are 10 miles away in Shepherdstown and Charles Town.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
There are other types of Family Owned Business also in Martinsburg... Yep Main problem is people move here for cheap housing then after those 4 hr commutes all they want to to is complain there is nothing to do! They NEED to open their eyes & look around! They are the ones that give Martinsburg the Bedroom of DC rep! Get Involved in the Community!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Quote:
There are other types of Family Owned Business also in Martinsburg... Yep Main problem is people move here for cheap housing then after those 4 hr commutes all they want to to is complain there is nothing to do! They NEED to open their eyes & look around! They are the ones that give Martinsburg the Bedroom of DC rep! Get Involved in the Community!
If my commute was that long I'd want only to get involved with my bed and the remote

Really I love Martinsburg and hope for the best. Hopefully the next 20 years will see more (and smarter) development.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
If my commute was that long I'd want only to get involved with my bed and the remote

Really I love Martinsburg and hope for the best. Hopefully the next 20 years will see more (and smarter) development.
I hear you

To me commuting is DUMB! You come to small towns cause housing is cheaper then spend all the money you save in housing in Gas! & No time for the kids so they hang in the Mall harrassing shoppers! Number 1 reason no one wants to Shop at the Mall... Who wants to wade thru all those smoking pants hanging off the ass kids fighting BRATS! Martinsburg Mall become the commuters Babysitters!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:

I think the problem is that the population boom in the EP is made up of folks who live there simply because they are priced out of areas closer in. Once they've made their 2 hour drive home the last thing they want to do is go downtown to an independent cafe where they won't know how the service will be or the food will taste. They'll go to Olive Garden, where they get the same thing, each time, and know what to expect. That is, if they have any time after their 4 hours of commuting to even leave the house.
Without a doubt you are correct - but let me point something out to you : There are small towns in the north bay of the San Francisco Bay area that are between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours away in commute time from San Francisco -- and they are similarly as self-contained in an artisan context as those in Portland, Oregon, I mention in my last post. And they don't have even ten percent of the vintage commercial buildings/housing stock that Martinsburg has. They don't have the storied history either. They do have grapes though....

I'd like to see more vineyards in EP.....If they can manufacture home-grown/award-winning Pinot Gis and several Rieslings in Michigan's upper peninsula, you can better bet a similar magic can work in the EP. I'd like to see Berkeley County with 50 wineries/distilleries.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 AM

Hard to grow anything in the area any more. To busy growing Homes! Cream Crop since 2000!!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Have you drove intoo Virginia winchester/ leesburg areas are full of wineries

Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Hard to grow anything in the area any more. To busy growing Homes! Cream Crop since 2000!!

HAR! My realtor said the same thing. I still think Berkeley Country oughta try. Believe it or not, parts of the Virginia landscape remind me of Sonoma/Napa Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia