Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,378 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are planning on moving to the Eastern Panhandle later this year. Many of the posts that I have read have to do with people with grown children moving to the area. We have two little girls and I would love to know what type of things there are to do in the area with small children.

We are currently living in Sydney Australia (where we have been for 10 yrs) and are originally from NM - so I don't really know much about the Eastern Panhandle at all. We currently have access to great family amenities like public swimming pools, gymnastics lessons, soccer etc.

Can anyone give me an idea of what is it like to live in the area? We are thinking Harper's Ferry or Charles Town or anywhere around there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
I don't know anything about these towns, but I'll post my impressions until someone does.

Look at Wikipedia and consider what the statistics mean.

Harpers Ferry has less than 300 people. There are 131 families (only 43% are married) and only 20% have children under 18. 17% of the residents are under 18. That means there's only 22 children under 18 in the entire town.

Charles Town is larger with 5,259 people. There are 2011 households (only 47% are marred) and 37.2% have children under 18. 26.9% of the residents are under 18. That means 1,415 children are under 18.

Between the two, Charles Town is a better place because there are other children for your children to befriend. It's doubtful there are many amenities for children in Harpers Ferry since there are only 22 children in the entire town.

On Charles Town's government website, it shows there are many parks, including a skate board park and swimming pools.

http://www.charlestownwv.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={E10C1588-73D7-4A25-A63A-4253C34DA451}

Google maps for gymnastics shows a gym 5 miles outside of town. But Winchester, WV is showing 6 gymnastic studios right in town. You might want to research Winchester as a possibility.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 AM

16,669 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know anything about these towns, but I'll post my impressions until someone does.

Look at Wikipedia and consider what the statistics mean.

Harpers Ferry has less than 300 people. There are 131 families (only 43% are married) and only 20% have children under 18. 17% of the residents are under 18. That means there's only 22 children under 18 in the entire town.

Charles Town is larger with 5,259 people. There are 2011 households (only 47% are marred) and 37.2% have children under 18. 26.9% of the residents are under 18. That means 1,415 children are under 18.

Between the two, Charles Town is a better place because there are other children for your children to befriend. It's doubtful there are many amenities for children in Harpers Ferry since there are only 22 children in the entire town.

On Charles Town's government website, it shows there are many parks, including a skate board park and swimming pools.

http://www.charlestownwv.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={E10C1588-73D7-4A25-A63A-4253C34DA451}

Google maps for gymnastics shows a gym 5 miles outside of town. But Winchester, WV is showing 6 gymnastic studios right in town. You might want to research Winchester as a possibility.
Winchester is in Virginia.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Winchester is in Virginia.
Thanks for the correction. She should still look into it.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,216 times
My three kids were elementary school age and younger when we moved into Charles Town from NOVA. Overall we have been pretty happy with the schools in Jefferson County. There is a well-run recreational soccer league in Charles Town and Shepherdstown, as well as travel leagues that play into Virginia and Maryland. We definitely enjoyed the soccer leagues here. You mention soccer specifically, but there are also football, baseball and cheer squads locally that are very popular.

There is an outside pool at Jefferson Park in the center of Charles Town, and one of the gyms in town has an indoor pool. Shepherd University in Shepherdstown has a pool in their "Wellness Center" that I believe is open to the public, but I don't know any details. Honestly, my kids would choose to spend the afternoon along the Shenandoah River. I can't speak to the gymnastics, as none of my kids were involved.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 PM

537 posts, read 958,494 times
Lots of good info from billscamaros.

For soccer, AYSO/JCYSL is a great, casual league. See their website at AYSO Region 322 - Jefferson County Youth Soccer League, esp. see under the About AYSO tab along the top. I believe kids can start as young as age 4. No yelling coaches, the emphasis is on FUN.

We live around the center point of the Charles Town / Harpers Ferry / Shepherdstown triangle, and like all three places, they're all pretty small and homey. Pretty good schools out here, our son is in middle school.

In case this isn't obvious... Don't expect anything like Sydney out here! As you know, Sydney is a major cosmopolitan city with tons of great international restaurants, serious arts, etc. Out here it's small-town. Not sleepy and barren, but definitely nothing like big-city life.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Lots of good info from billscamaros.

For soccer, AYSO/JCYSL is a great, casual league. See their website at AYSO Region 322 - Jefferson County Youth Soccer League, esp. see under the About AYSO tab along the top. I believe kids can start as young as age 4. No yelling coaches, the emphasis is on FUN.

We live around the center point of the Charles Town / Harpers Ferry / Shepherdstown triangle, and like all three places, they're all pretty small and homey. Pretty good schools out here, our son is in middle school.

In case this isn't obvious... Don't expect anything like Sydney out here! As you know, Sydney is a major cosmopolitan city with tons of great international restaurants, serious arts, etc. Out here it's small-town. Not sleepy and barren, but definitely nothing like big-city life.
That entire region is close to the DC/Baltimore area, which has an amazing array of international restaurants, some of the very best and most serious arts offerings in the world, yet it provides the peace of mind that comes with small town living. Americans are zealous about parks at every level of government, and you are likely to find them at least as common there as they are in Australia. Every town of significant size that I know of here has public swimming pools, or is located close to a town that has them. There are also sports of most types available, including soccer.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 PM

537 posts, read 958,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That entire region is close to the DC/Baltimore area, which has an amazing array of international restaurants, some of the very best and most serious arts offerings in the world...
You're right that DC and (to a lesser extent) Baltimore has those things... just depends what you consider "close", with DC being an hour+ away and Balty 90 minutes.

OP, the Jefferson Co. Parks & Rec has a number of activities for all ages locally, as you can see from their current catalog here: ISSUU - Summer2014 print new by Jennifer Myers.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 PM

353 posts, read 426,755 times
I grew up in that area, Kearneysville to be exact. I went from Elementary school through the High School before it became extremely over populated back in the early 2000s. It was a great place to grow up, small, tight nit communities; however, every time I go back it just keeps growing and growing. A lot of people from the city move out to West Virginia and Virginia to save some cost on housing.

I have also been to Sydney and more or less all throughout NSW. It resembles nothing like Sydney and you will sorely miss it there. At least I know I would if I were to attempt to compare the two both from a cultural aspect and a "things to do". There are a lot of hiking, biking, and outdoors things to do in the general Eastern Panhandle area and with DC about 45min-60min away it's not bad getting into the City and doing the museum "stuff". I just couldn't see raising a family there to be quite blunt.

Honestly I would not have been opposed to raising a family there when I was growing up in the area; however, now I would definitely not. That's the opinion of someone who grew up going through the schooling system there so take it for what it's worth.

Best of luck where ever you do end up though!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 AM

112 posts, read 200,940 times
Can you please give more information about your quality of life needs related to moving? Besides good schools and recreation, anything else? There are a wide-range of differences between counties, municipalities and communities in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle. So, more details, the better.....price range for housing, how much land, other family interests, education preferences (public v. private), are you retiring or still working (if so, where?), do you like living in a planned community/subdivision or something more private, etc. This is a good starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia