Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 PM

537 posts, read 958,558 times

Advertisements

I wrote this to the County Commission:
"Please, whom do I e-mail to to complain about the lack of fireworks again this year at Sam Michaels Park?
I certainly realize the economic strain the county is under. Of course, teachers / police / firemen are high priorities.
But there still needs to be funding for good old civic fun, where we can all get together and feel proud to be Americans, rejoice in our history. Even in bad times -- maybe even ESPECIALLY in bad times -- we NEED celebrations like this.
PLEASE bring the fireworks back to Sam Michaels Park next year and thereafter."

They forwarded me on to a Toni Milbourne, who said (among other things):
"Please note that I, along with some other individuals in the county, are beginning to work diligently now to ensure that the event returns in 2011. Whether Sam Michaels Park will be the final location will depend upon the cooperation from the Parks&Rec staff and commission as a whole; however, whether they be at Sam Michaels or elsewhere, those of us working on the return of a July 4 celebration vow that we will have them back next year.
If you are interested in helping us work on that endeavor, we would love the volunteer help!
It's not a 'county' operation per se as our Parks&Rec has not been willing to put money forward in the past couple of years. It's more a community group effort with hopes to involve the county's group."

If you'd like to bring fireworks back to Jefferson County on the 4th, please get in touch with Ms. Milbourne:
e-mail her at toni@spiritofjefferson.com
call her at 304-702-3026
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 AM

144 posts, read 317,526 times
Would be nice to get the track involved as a sponsor as well as others.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
Would be nice to get the track involved as a sponsor as well as others.
Yup. I have no idea how to get sponsors and all that, I'm assuming/hoping Ms. Milbourne will have a plan. She said she was involved in the original bringing of fireworks to Sam Michaels Park back in '05 (I think it was), so it sounds like she knows what she's doing.

On another note, I'm kind of surprised there haven't been many replies on this thread. I just sort of thought everyone likes fireworks, 4th of July, all that. You know: Mom, apple pie, rah rah. But maybe that's just a nostalgia thing for me?

Doesn't everyone LOVE fireworks?!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 AM

92 posts, read 327,130 times
These were free if you were within eye or earshot on 6/19: HyperFestâ„¢ 10 - Events (http://www.hyper-fest.com/events/fireworks.html - broken link) ...my kid loved 'em !!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormes44 View Post
These were free if you were within eye or earshot on 6/19: HyperFestâ„¢ 10 - Events (http://www.hyper-fest.com/events/fireworks.html - broken link) ...my kid loved 'em !!
Cool. I was out at Summit Point a couple weeks ago, but didn't get any fireworks!

And come to think of it, I guess that is partly the thing with fireworks: They're everywhere now. When I was a kid, it was absolutely only July 4th, but now they're after many minor league baseball games, at county fairs, at Summit Point, etc. Not so special anymore, I guess. I still especially love them on the 4th though.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM

54 posts, read 145,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Cool. I was out at Summit Point a couple weeks ago, but didn't get any fireworks!

And come to think of it, I guess that is partly the thing with fireworks: They're everywhere now. When I was a kid, it was absolutely only July 4th, but now they're after many minor league baseball games, at county fairs, at Summit Point, etc. Not so special anymore, I guess. I still especially love them on the 4th though.
I think that's it.

Our neighborhood has a big party, with a few hundred dollars' worth of fireworks. It's easier than going someplace. We can get the kids in bed right after the show, nobody is tempted to drive drunk, etc.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 AM

92 posts, read 327,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickonfreeze View Post
I think that's it.

Our neighborhood has a big party, with a few hundred dollars' worth of fireworks. It's easier than going someplace. We can get the kids in bed right after the show, nobody is tempted to drive drunk, etc.
That's all good, as long as those setting off things aren't too wasted to realize what they're doing. Two years ago, a local cul-de-sac party got out of hand when one aerial tube fell over and shot the shell sideways and under a car. Another guy got burned pretty badly doing something else. That pretty much put an end to their local celebration that night, and has ever since.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 PM

I've got so many good memories of fireworks as a kid.

One year we got our first puppy on the 4th. My parents must have been pretty clueless about dogs, because we didn't even have a real fence, they just sort of expected the pup would stay nearby, wtf?

Anyway, to prove the point that my parents were clueless, what do you think they did to that poor sweet 6-week-old puppy on her first night at her new home? Yup, we all took her out to see fireworks! Nothing a puppy likes more than fireworks, right?!?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM

I just saw a flyer that said fireworks are coming back to Sam Michaels Park this year, YAY!

They are also asking for donations ASAP -- from businesses mainly, but of course I'm sure they wouldn't turn down regular folks either.
The flyer says "As part of a thank you for that donation, your business name will be included in all press material and advertising for the event as a contributor."

Contact names are Toni Milbourne again, 304-702-3026; and from Ranson Parks & Rec a Jimmy Pierson, 304-616-8998.

I thank anyone and everyone for organizing this and financially supporting it, as you can tell from my comments above, I'm a big fan of these community fireworks.

Oh, and they mention it'll actually be on the 2nd (Saturday) and some local musicians have donated their time to provide entertainment before the fireworks.

I'm psyched, YESSS!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 AM

144 posts, read 317,526 times
Happy that they are back but sad about it being on the 2nd. It's like saying Christmas is on the 23rd.

It's our country's birthday and changing it is a bad thing IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia