Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,132 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Jefferson County with our 2 daughters- ages 7 and 5. Finding the right school is NUMBER 1 on our list. What area in Jefferson County would provide the best fit for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM

144 posts, read 317,469 times
In my opinion the best elementary school is T.A. Lowry and second would be Shepherdstown. Both are N and E of Charles Town.

Both of my children went to TA and before we moved had gone to CW Shipley which was ok too. TA Lowry students go to Wildwood Middle school wish I love and is just across the street from Jefferson HS.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,442 times
I think South Jefferson also rounds out the list of top performer, most liked three in the county.
We also must note that the new elementary, Driswood, will have it's first students this August. Jefferson County Schools - JCS District Homepage (http://boe.jeff.k12.wv.us/education/district/district.php?sectionid=1 - broken link)
I assume new districts will be drawn up in the area surrounding the new school; probably pulling some kids from Shepherdstown and CW Shipley, maybe TA Lowery.
My children went to TA Lowery at first then were moved to Shepherdstown during a redistricting. I'm not sure if we will be in an area affected (we home school, so I don't keep up with it now.) But as mentioned by wvtbred, you may want to look at your childrens progression through to high school and try to find a location that will put them at Wildwood for middle and Jefferson for high. We live in the Shenandoah Junction zip, 25442, and are only about two miles from the schools (On cool crisp football nights we can just hear the band.) If you find a spot close enough it makes it a short & safer bus ride for your children and easier for you to access. It also helps if there is an issue at one of the schools; I think there was a temporary evacuation for some reason this past year at Wildwood and the kids were able to go over to the high school so they didn't have to stand outside in the cold.

Post info about the kind of home/property/community you are looking for and maybe we can give some specific areas to look into.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM

537 posts, read 958,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
We also must note that the new elementary, Driswood, will have it's first students this August. Jefferson County Schools - JCS District Homepage (http://boe.jeff.k12.wv.us/education/district/district.php?sectionid=1 - broken link)
I assume new districts will be drawn up in the area surrounding the new school; probably pulling some kids from Shepherdstown and CW Shipley, maybe TA Lowery.
For sure pulling in kids from at least Lowery (mine, for example!) and Shipley.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM

37 posts, read 111,100 times
There is also the NEW High School ... of course we could turn this thread into a rivalry thread between the two...lol. The developments of Huntfield and such to the south side of C'Town are right near the new Washignton High School which opened a short couple years ago. You can still smell the paint...

Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,132 times
Wow! Thanks for all of the info. Based on the research I had done, I thought CW Shipley, TA Lowery and Shepherdstown would be my top choices. We are looking for a good neighborhood (quiet, young families) Price range 225-250K. Also a Methodist Church! This is a quick move for us and I am trying to get my ducks in a row before the school year! I am applying for jobs (I am a teacher) in Jefferson County and hope to hear something soon. I really appreciate any guidance!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 AM

423 posts, read 1,236,992 times
My kids all went to South Jefferson, and we loved it. Personally, I don't think that there are any "bad" schools in Jefferson County. I had one who went thru Jefferson High, one at Washington High now and one at Charles Town Middle ....... all are doing well academically and all enjoy school.

Cloverdale Heights, Huntfield, Spruce Hill, Pembrooke Grove, Quail Run .... all are on the southern end of Jefferson County. All are pretty nice areas to live. Although I work in Northern Virginia and do not commute thru Jefferson County, I can't believe that there are any "long" or "bad" commutes within the county.

It's a good place to live and raise a family. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,442 times
I did a quick house search picking the geographical area that I think would put your children at TA Lowery, Driswood or CW Shipley. Parameters were $200-$250k, detached. Only three listed as active. One at Oregon trail in Conestoga Estates, an old colonial on Carter Ave. in Bakerton, and a house on Preston St. in Bakerton. There is one listed lower than $200k that looks like it might have potential; 3367 Kearneysville Pike, Shepherdstown. It is a short sale and the listing notes that it's leased through the end of 2010.
There are only 6 between $250k and $300k. Most (23) are above $300k.
Use this link to look at what the realtors have listed:
Real Estate in Shenandoah Junction, WV, Homes for Sale, Homes for Sale - Homes Database

If you want some suggestions of realtors to work with you can PM me (I'm not a realtor, but am an appraiser, so I know most of the realtors in the area.) You may want to try to rent for a short time if you are rushed, that will give you time to become familiar with the area before you decide on a location. But interest rates are really good and there seems to be fewer homes available in the price range you need. And if the trend continues, we may start to see some increasing prices again.
If you decide to spend more, I have my house for sale. Or if you have time to wait and build I also have a building lot for sale. As I mentioned in my previous post, (unless we changed with the new Driswood) our district is Shepherdstown elementary.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 AM

144 posts, read 317,469 times
If it matters the area that would put you in TA Lowery, Shepherdstown etc is closer to grocery stores, Home Depot, restaurants, Martinsburg Mall area, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia