Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM

101 posts, read 503,634 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family out in a few months for a job in DC (yes, I know Harper's Ferry is quite a commute). We love the rural atmosphere, and Harper's Ferry looks like an ideal community.

The schools look great, but I see no other information for families and young kids to have something to do out there. I've got two sets of twins (boys 4 and girls almost 2), and right now having stuff for them to do is important. As they get older we'll be able to do more outdoorsy stuff, but for now that holds somewhat limited interest for them.

Anyone who lives or has lived in Harper's Ferry with small children? Is there stuff to do? Are there many families out there? I've looked at the census statistics, which don't show many, but I know how that changes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM

166 posts, read 362,982 times
here's some links for ya:

events in the shenandoah valley: Welcome to The Valley Revue!

children's stuff in the shenandoah valley: Child Guide Magazine

eastern panhandle mom's blog: Eastern Panhandle Moms

fun place in inwood: JayDee's - Home

eastern panhandle magazine: AROUND THE PANHANDLE Things to do, Places to go & People to Know (http://www.aroundthepanhandle.com/Around_the_Panhandle_Magazine/Index.html - broken link)

kids museum in Winchester: Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum

dc metro kids stuff: Our Kids Activities and Resources - Your Link to Family Fun -

northern virginia mommy blog: DullesMoms.com

hope this helps! I think it's a great area for little ones

Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks, that's a lot of helpful information!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
I don't have many specifics on things to do, because I have a terrible memory, but I can tell you that we moved out here (a few miles west of Harpers Ferry proper) 5 years ago with our 3-and-a-half-year-old son, and he has had a blast, tons of things to do.

Trains, youth sports, parks/playgrounds, fairs, on and on. Not all right here in the immediate area, you understand, but certainly plenty within 30 minutes or so.

If you put in a little effort online, you'll find lots of stuff. The aforementioned (trm5507) Child Guide magazine in particular was a godsend for us.

YMMV, of course -- our kid can still be thrilled for hours racing around with other kids at the local Chick-fil-A play area -- but really, I think kids have a great time out here.

Now as for your commute...

Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM

54 posts, read 145,108 times
I've got sons of 6, 4 and (almost) 2. There are plenty of youngsters in the county. We're turning down birthday party invites every weekend!

Check out the MOM's club organization. Our family has made a ton of friends (kids AND adults) through this group. It's low pressure and informal, but a great way to find things to do.

Welcome! - MOMS Club of Harpers Ferry, WV

Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks for more great info! I'll pass on the mom's club website to my wife. We're in a somewhat older community now with few families, so she really feels isolated when she's home with the kids all day. The mom's club here is more professional women with one child who drop kids off at playdates, rather than stay and be friendly with other moms. My wife really feels outcast with four kids, especially with all of them so young.

Sounds like there's plenty of families out there and a good networks, so we'd have to debate whether the commute is worth it.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
Sounds like there's plenty of families out there and a good network, so we'd have to debate whether the commute is worth it.
Obvy I have no idea what you do for a living, but there are some good jobs out here, like the VA, Coast Guard, IRS...

I spent WAY too many hours of my life commuting in to DC just from Prince George's County, and I can tell you that now I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 15-minute drive in. SO much more time for family stuff now.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Obvy I have no idea what you do for a living, but there are some good jobs out here, like the VA, Coast Guard, IRS...

I spent WAY too many hours of my life commuting in to DC just from Prince George's County, and I can tell you that now I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 15-minute drive in. SO much more time for family stuff now.
Thanks for the tips, and maybe in the future. But the whole reason for the move is that I got a good position with the FBI (in logistics/property management). The position is in DC.

I run my own business now and work 100 hour weeks. So even five 13 hour days (including the long commute) will seem like part time work to me.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
If your commute is to downtown DC or within walking distance to Metro, Harper's Ferry has MARC (MAryland Rail Comuter ) service on the Brunswick Line which starts in Martinsburg WV and goes to places like Rockville, Silver Spring and Union Station in DC. Once you get to Rockville you can transfer to Metro since the stations are co-located.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
If your commute is to downtown DC or within walking distance to Metro, Harper's Ferry has MARC (MAryland Rail Comuter ) service on the Brunswick Line which starts in Martinsburg WV and goes to places like Rockville, Silver Spring and Union Station in DC. Once you get to Rockville you can transfer to Metro since the stations are co-located.

I just noticed you are going to be with the Feds. The FBI is only a few blocks from either the Red line Metro Center station, Gallery Place -Chinatown or Judiciary Square-National Archives Metro stations. These stations are a short trip from the Red line Union Station station where MARC also goes. This is a world class system and you won't have to worry about parking or DC traffic which is some of the worst in the United States (even worse than LA, Chicago, New Yrok or Boston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia