Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 12,711 times

Advertisements

I just got employed by the city and looking for opinions of certain areas where apartments are. Generally read elkins is a safe town in older threads, but have also been told that places like davis ave is sketchy, specifically, drug dealers. Right now I'm looking at seneca properties as it is the only one available. Called all the yahoo listings and no vacancy...

Your thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
I don't know a thing about apt's in Elkins I just wanted to say "lucky you". I love Elkins and the surrounding area. I was just back up there a couple weeks ago.

Heck, I'd just pitch a tent up in Bear Heaven and be done with it. LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
A buddy and I are thinking of coming to the Elkins area in mid October to do a little trout fishing. I am thinking the fall leaves should be pretty nice that time of year. Any places to have a cold beer with dinner in Elkins? Thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
You are trout fishing. You eat the trout at your campsite. Beer is permitted at your campsite. ;D

Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are trout fishing. You eat the trout at your campsite. Beer is permitted at your campsite. ;D
Arent you assuming that we ACTUALLY catch some trout?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 AM

40 posts, read 104,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
I just got employed by the city and looking for opinions of certain areas where apartments are. Generally read elkins is a safe town in older threads, but have also been told that places like davis ave is sketchy, specifically, drug dealers. Right now I'm looking at seneca properties as it is the only one available. Called all the yahoo listings and no vacancy...

Your thoughts appreciated.
There are parts of the town of Elkins that are not as nice and attract quite a bit of less than desirable types (meth addicts, dealers, etc.). The crime isn't that bad around there, mainly centered on drugs, small theft, domestic, and fighting. You have heard correctly that some of it is around the south end of Davis Ave. Not sure where you are coming from so I wouldn't know how it would compare.

When you look around, you will get a general feel of how the neighborhood is, pretty easy to spot. Some of the trailer parks around there also have a reputation just like the apartments. I would suggest picking up a copy of the InterMountain paper and look for rentals in there since that is how most folks still advertise their places. Personally, I wouldn't trust Richard Holland (Seneca Realty) to find a place since he is the owner of many of the 'undesirable' properties around Elkins.

You may want to also check out the town of Beverly for properties. Like Elkins, there are some to avoid but doesn't have much problems and is easy to get to/from Elkins. Even though I don't live there now, I am from Beverly originally and all of my family lives there and has lived around there for a long time.

In any event, you may want to look into house rentals more than apartments/trailers since they typically have less chance of problems. I can ask my dad this weekend if he knows of any places for rental since he knows a lot of folks around there. He and my uncle rent some places as well, but I believe they are still booked up, even though he does get some bad renters that don't pay and tear up stuff.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 12,711 times
thanks for the input Beverly. Unfortunately I'm with Seneca now, but I definitely would like to be placed on a waiting list for future openings if you know of any.

For the little time I was in elkins, every person i talked to was friendly and helpful.
...and beer allowed on campsites? Will definitely be fishing and drinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia