U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,660 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I am considering a move to Fairmont, WV. I am currently living in North Carolina, but I am originally from Central Pennsylvania and I wish to get closer to home, and in an environment more like what I grew up in.

Does anyone have an opinion of Fairmont that they'd like to share with me? Is it a nice town, good place to raise kids, etc? Is the cost of living reasonable? From what I have seen, housing is inexpensive. How are the schools? Any info would be GREAT!!

Cheers,
Erin
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 04:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,871,916 times
Hi Erin,

I am in a similiar situation. I was born in Maryland and am also in NC, thinking of moving to the Morgantown / Fairmont area. I've been trying to find and info I can. I am especialy concerned with the job market there. Hopefully someone will give us some good info!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,810,841 times
Hello:
I live near Fairmont and think I can give some honest advice. Rent starts at $600. I manage a rental for my son and he charges $500 for a 3 bedroom house on East Side. He is double taxed for the property because it is a rental, he is also charged the tax amount for a $600 rental because all the other houses on that street charge $600 per month..you figure it out. The water service to the renters is about $75 a month, sewage is the same amount as the water bill....this will be increased this month because of the need to improve the NEW 21 million dollar water treatment facility. The additional charge will be just under $10 a month. Fairmont has a strange tax called Fire Fees..it is an additional $ 150 per year. When you move here the state will charge you a tax on your car to get WV license plates, that will be .06% of the blue book value for your car. I list some of these taxes because they are ridiculous and are not known to new folk moving in.
The work force here is very tight...almost every service business is looking for help. That problem eases when the College returns and adds 5,000 kids to the economy. Skilled labor, particulary construction trades are begging for good help. NASA, FBI, and other High Tech work is flourishing. The region geographically comprises Uniontown, Pa to Weston, WV. Small towns with good schools are in abundance. The best public water systems are fed by the Morgantown and Shinnston systems. That would be a concern to me. Morgantown is expensive but carries a cosmopolitan/liberal perspective. We like Shinnston and are building there. Everything can be reached from that central point. If you want a safe small town, give it a look. Pittsburg, Pa and the Steelers, Ballet and big time intertainment is 90 miles north, with a lot to see on the route. Eastward is the mountains and skiing in the winter and just 5 minutes from Shinnston is the PGA Pete Dye golfcourse for a great day of golf....other great courses are very close, Bel Meadows, Bridgeport Country Club and Lake View at Morgantown...And water is everywhere, Cheat Lake, Tygart Lake and the trout rivers of the mountains...good luck...the good makes up for the bad...and eventually you will see that even though everything is taxed except the air we breathe, mountaineers are free to roam this pristene area of the wild and wonderful....

Last edited by David Kennedy; 06-30-2007 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: some mis-spelled words

Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 16,908 times
Default fairmont

hello,
i just wanted to post, because my husband is from nc, and i h ave lived on Fairmont my entire life.
i agree with the last post. the schools are fair, and the water systems have had some. Life here is easy and laid back, however jobs are very tight and some what low paying. the people that have good jobs here have usually moved from out of state to work at the FBI, and other jobs like that.
There is a small college here, which i would say is nice.
there are a lot of people that live in fairmont who work or go to school in morgantown. It is different here, some people like it, and some don't.
there are ups and downs, if you have a family it is a nice safe to stay.
there is a very friendly family environment. if you want a high tech, fast paced environment this isn't it.
THe goverment here is trying very hard to put in gambling. I guess it brings in tax money. oh yeah, that's the other bad thing. it seems the people in government here will find anything to tax. smokes, beer, gas, are highly taxed.
If you want a laid back envirment that is very safe, and close to larger citites this would be the place. pittsburg, charleston (wv) are very close as are a few other citites.
sorry this is rambling. and horrable spelling. (maybe due to the school system here.)

Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 AM

6 posts, read 39,228 times
I was born in Fairmont and grew up in Barrackville. I LOVED IT!!! I remember a wonderful childhood, full of fun things. Drive Ins, hiking up the RR tracks, swimming in Colfax, picnics at Morris Park...(if anyone remembers the wading pool they had, it was a kids dream!!!), Manington fair, playing roly poly hit the bat with my dad behind Barrackville School, when it was 1st-12th grade, walking down to Belt's Grill for a hot dog and coke..and hanging out with my best friend, Kay Carr.

I have since moved to Jacksonville FL and am married with 4 children. I hope I can give them some wonderful memories of childhood like the ones I have growing up in beautiful WV....

Old 10-11-2007, 08:27 AM

The best school is East Fairmont High School...see their website. Much of the county is rundown but jobs are plentiful in Morgantown and everyone commutes...Morgantown is blowing off the map with opportunity. There are some nice houses for sale in Buffalo Court ($159,000) and the best elementary/middle school is in Barrackville...High School students travel to North Marion/West Fairmont. Housing is at a bargain due to the depressed market. Belt's grill is a hamburger joint and video store now. Collessano's is new and redone..still the place for a good peperoni bun with peppers and melted cheese. Been come nice changes but a lot more to come...One of the Tobin's live in Dan Carr's old house on Pike Street. Need any particular referrals..just e-mail.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 39,228 times
WOW! Brought back some good ole memories there! Collsessanos was my fav...love the Spiders and can't beat the pizzas...The Carr's house at 321 Pike street was my second home! Im glad the Tobin's are in it..Odessa or her brother? I've lost contact with almost everyone, Lisa and Carol Jones, Monica Ely, Paula Floyd, Misty Hayes, Joy Guthery. My family "Ices" were loooong time residents in Barrackville and it will always be home to me. My e-mail is rhondahullender@comcast.net feel free to send me any more news about the ole town...Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 16,360 times
Default where can i find houses for rent?

hello,
my two kids just applied to Fairmont State. Right now we live in Missouri, but we're hoping to move to the Fairmont area within a few weeks. We are having a really hard time finding a house to rent! Since we're so far away, we have to depend on finding a house on the internet. I've been looking at craigslist, and they barely have any houses listed for the morgantown area. Does anyone know of anywhere else i can look for houses to rent? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 PM

Phone R.S. Pizatella 363-1170 or Ben Springston 363-2100 both are honest realtors who handle a few rentals. they will network the other local realtors to find you anything available. Fairmont has a lot of listings at the present time...sometimes a person will rent month to month... Many distressed propertys seem to lie around the College, vacant because of the requirement of the students living on campus...My advice is to buy a home near the college and sell it when the kids are through...that's what so many do here...In the end they get the rent free and make a profit...good luck

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM

44 posts, read 106,995 times
I was born and raised in Fairmont( moved away 4 years ago) and I would have to agree with the previous post from David Kennedy. Fairmont is a nice safe place to raise a family. My parents and siblings still live there and I visit often and the job market seems tight according to them. There are some great unique restaurants like Colessesanos, Dutchman's Daughter, Muriale's and Say boys that I absolutely love. It's a twenty-five minute ride to Morgantown which has lots of amenities. You can also easily visit the Bridgeport/Clarksburg area as well in about 15 to 20 minutes depending on where you live. I have lived on the West Side of Fairmont and South Fairmont area. South Fairmont area is ideal for quick access to Interstate 79, Walmart, restaurants and quiet, nice neighborhoods, technology park, NASA, FBI etc. Good luck! I hope you enjoy the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia