Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,443 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Charles Town in two weeks. Coming from a "big" city (Charlotte NC). We are looking at the Breckenridge Sub. I have already heard it referred to as "Breakinridge". Anyone have any info on this neighborhood? Or the Charles Town area in general? Will be commuting to Reston, any thoughts on the drive there?

Last edited by panther762; 09-14-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

537 posts, read 958,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther762 View Post
My family is moving to Charles Town in two weeks. Coming from a "big" city (Charlotte NC). We are looking at the Breckenridge Sub. I have already heard it referred to as "Breakinridge". Anyone have any info on this neighborhood? Or the Charles Town area in general? Will be commuting to Reston, any thoughts on the drive there?
FWIW, I know a few people who live in Breckenridge, haven't heard any complaints.

Charles Town is OK, but as compared to Charlotte, I don't think you'll find there's much to do, many good places to eat, etc. Of course, DC and its 'burbs are only 60-90 minutes away, so if you really have the urge for some culture...

But I like Charles Town, it's kinda quaint and quiet. For a few good places to eat, check out TripAdvisor.com.

I've done the commute to Reston only a few times during "rush hour", and it's been pretty slow, as it's one lane (each way) most of the way. I think it's like 45 mins best case, more like 75 minutes at "rush hour".

Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Charles Town has many people that commute on a daily basis in to Northern Virginia. I think that your commute will vary slightly, depending on the time of the morning that you begin your commute. I think that Breckenridge is on the northern side of Charles Town, off of Rt 340. I live slightly south of Charles Town. Either way, you'll have access to Rt 9 east into Virginia, meeting up with Rt 7 in Leesburg, VA. Or taking RT 340 south to connect to Rt 7 in Berryville, heading east to Leesburg. Rt 9 is a two lane road thru the country side .... I generally avoid this route as I perceive it to be congested and slow. But others will say that it's a fine route to commute on .... they probably have a better perception than I. Rt 340 south to Rt 7 east is ... with the exception of a few miles at the state line ..... a four lane highway.

In Leesburg, you can choose between continuing on Rt 7 down to Reston, but this can get congested later in the morning. Or you can take the Greenway (Toll Road) from Leesburg to Reston. Depends on your sense of time vs. cost, I guess.

I left my house this morning at 4:50 am, traveling across Rt 340/Rt7, and following Rt 7 from Leesburg to the Fairfax County Parkway in Sterling. I was in the Reston area within an hour. I suspect that you could leave Charles Town slightly later and still be in Reston at close to an hour. I will take the Greenway home in the evenings, as Rt 7 is definitely the slower route at the end of the day. I have to say, though ..... no matter what anyone tells you, a 45 mile commute into work each way is a long drive.

Hope that this helps.

I've lived in Charles Town for the past 8 years and have enjoyed the lifestyle there. Granted it won't compete with Charlotte as far as nightlife and "culture", but getting 5 miles across town for my kid's soccer game is about a 10 minute drive, if that. My kids have done well in the schools there. We recently added a new high school and renovated several other county schools. There is definitely a "northern virginia" feel to the area, with many transplanted NOVA folks moving to Jefferson County for the lifestyle change over the past 10 years.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 PM

54 posts, read 145,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther762 View Post
I know several families in that neighborhood, with nothing but good things to say.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,748 times
Breckenridge is a great subdivision; not snooty or rundown. I live here & I really love Charles Town. Not really big on nightlife myself so I can't help you with that but we love our church (Fellowship Bible Church in Shenandoah Junction). Also, don't know much about the schools since mine were home schooled (now graduated). Charles Town is growing mostly with people like yourself who commute to DC or Reston to work. It is close to many things like shopping, restaurants & culture but still far enough away that we don't have problems with traffic, crime etc. We moved from Sanford, Florida to work in Reston, Va. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM

204 posts, read 418,101 times
I lived in Breckenridge for 11 years,I sold my home about a month ago,and I miss it there very much,quiet and very clean there.(breckenridgehoa.org).As for Charles Town,i was born here 51 years ago,and will never leave,it's close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia