Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 AM

14 posts, read 37,241 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear from you Coalminers.Tell us your story.God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Come on guys,tell us how you got started in the coal mines.My grandfather,Father,Uncles,all worked in the mines.Helen wva,my grandfather and dad worked years ago.My grandfather died of black lung in 1977.My uncle was hurt in the mines and can barely walk today.After I watched my grandfather suffer from black lung for 20 years and lose his battle,I moved away from west virginia.Coal miners and thier families are the best people you will ever meet.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patman100 View Post
I moved away from west virginia.Coal miners and thier families are the best people you will ever meet.
Then why did you move away ?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM

I got a job in Florida that paid very well.Most of my Family are in Beckley and Hinton WVA.I visit as often as I can.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:10 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
My grandfather was in a mine explosion, don't recall the year it happened.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Anyone remember what the scrip money looked like that they paid the miners?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 19,455 times
My Dad got killed in the coal mines, when I was 2 years old. I had an uncle that was riding the motor in the mines and he raised his head and it took the whole top of his head off.
The problem in WV is that's about all there is to make decent money.
I moved from there in 1993. I miss the people and all my friends there. The people are so different from the people in Cincinnati. They are so courteous.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patman100 View Post
Anyone remember what the scrip money looked like that they paid the miners?

I went looking in the State Archives for pictures of coal mine script, haven't found it yet. The search is a bit clunky and turns up titles but none have links, it's more of a catalog of what they have in the archives.

It was time well spent because I did find this eye opening look at the Buffalo Creek Disaster. Follow the arrow links at the bottom of each page.

Buffalo Creek Disaster

There's also this section on The Omar Project, with some pictures of life in a mining town from the 1930s. Again, follow the links at the top and bottom of each page.

Omar Project: Introduction

A couple of samples from The Omar Project

Quote:
This photograph was actually taken at Stirrat, down the road from Omar. There were miners from three mines - #19, 18, and 15 – going into the pay office at Stirrat. The car at the right has a sign for Maytag. A lot of companies did business on credit. A collection guy would come to collect from the people who owed them. There was a Y where the passenger train turned around at Stirrat when there were steam engines. When diesels came in they could run back and forth and didn’t need a turnaround.

“Payday, coal mining town. Omar, WV”
Marion Post Wolcott, September 1938

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 10-08-2010 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Editing

Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM

494 posts, read 1,191,824 times
I have a question about why the Chilean miners were able to last so long down there. And, now they're all being rescued. Everytime there is a mine cave-in in W. Va or PA it seems that our guys don't fare as well.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:17 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I have a question about why the Chilean miners were able to last so long down there. And, now they're all being rescued. Everytime there is a mine cave-in in W. Va or PA it seems that our guys don't fare as well.
I think the difference in this situation is, that this was a simple collapse, without fire, explosion, flooding, or poisonous gases in the air which have been present in the recent mine disasters here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia