Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM

109 posts, read 437,972 times

Advertisements

How it is ?
Any problems that people know of?
Let me know thank you, how is princeton's hospital . Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:15 PM

180 posts, read 954,596 times
I am a COPD patient so I have had the "pleasure" of being in both hospitals frequently while I lived in Princeton.

I think that Bluefield is plaqued with money problems... they even talked about closing it down for awhile a couple of years ago.

As far as a patient's perspective, I can say that I was always treated well (even before they got to know me!) and the quality of care was very, very good.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:34 AM

Default so

If i move my kids there and say one of them get bit by a snake will the bluefield hospital be able to handle that. Or a bad accident im worried about small towns not having the right equipment to handle a different situation.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 AM

240 posts, read 729,602 times
Both hospitals have poor reputations. I am fortunate enough to have never had to go to either but I think BRMC would probably be slightly better. I have had occassion to visit people and am appalled by some of the things I have seen. One woman I went to see at PCH had bloody bangages that had been removed and just thrown on the floor around her bed.

I had another friend who ended up after two weeks in PCH at Cleveland Clinic having open heart surgery to remove valves damaged by an infection in his leg which had spread. They had diagnosed it and were treating it as blood clot until he spiked a fever. They sent him by ambulance at that point to CAMC. He is also going to lose his leg now.

I think they usually are aware of their limitations though and have medivac capabilities.

You can check them out Health Grades. They have pretty low ratings in almost every area.

HealthGrades - Research Hospitals, Doctors and Nursing Homes

Having said all that, there are some excellent doctors who practice at both hospitals. I think for routine health issues which most people encounter, they are just fine. Personally, if I had some serious uncommon disease, I'd go to Bowman Gray or Duke or somewhere like that.

And I also think that you can pick any hospital in the country and find incidents of misdiagnoses, etc. So it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I were moving here.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Default thank you

i was going to move to bluefield princton area until my mom started getting headaches there. She went to the er throwing up with a headache for five days straight. The er told her she was fine and to stop taking her headache medication. Two weeks to the day she died of an anurizsum . They had to fly her out to tennessee and she died there. Now im afraid to move there with good cause for the hospitals . My son has astma and some times doesnt breath well and if they couldnt take care of him and he might die . We just lost my mom in may so i dont think i will be heading to wv . thank you

Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 AM

240 posts, read 729,602 times
I wanted to update my post on Princeton Community Hospital since I had to go to the ER there for acute adominal pain.

I thought I would be sent to Express Care but was admitted to the ER section instead.

They were very thorough. I have a history of gallstones and provided this information.

However, they ran many diagnostic tests including bloodwork, CT scan with and without contrast and ultrasound to rule out anything else.

The staff were all friendly and helpful despite the fact they were busy with more critical patients and checked in on me often to see how I was doing. Everyone from the nurses to the administrative lady who came to get my health insurance information told me they hoped I felt better soon. I really got the feeling they cared.

In the end, it was a gallbladder problem and I was referred back to my PCP for referral to a surgeon but I now know I'm otherwise pretty healthy.

I was pretty impressed with the level of care and professionalism.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 36,353 times
Both hospitals are improving, now that the are focusing on themselves rather than each other.

Financially speaking, both had their ups and downs. PCH had an entire floor closed at one point; Bluefield about closed 2-3 years ago. Now I read in the paper, that BRMC is expanding to Green Valley, and a relative of mine said that the financial situation has really improved.

Hopefully, that will translate to better care at both hospitals. Although a majority of residents go to Roanoke for acute/specialized care.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Default hey

thank you for all your answers on my topic. I worry for my dad who lives in bluefield and doesnt always takes in meds like he should. I told him if he get real sick to go to prinction. I have heard the hospital in improving over the last year. Thank you very much

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Hospital in wv

I know there are some great things in wv, but the hopital situation is very bad. Wv rankes very poor on a average. When people plan on moving there is that a consideration. I never knew a place that doint have a mri machine. Like they dont in bluefield. I need a nice area with good hospitals i know bluefield just isnt the place . My son has some problems and we have made frequent visits to the er here in illinois. I am now looking toward virginia. The hospital situation is way better acording to the stats. Let me know what everyone think. thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia