Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,128 times

Advertisements

I am being transferred from Cleveland to Leesburg in December. It looks like the Northern Virginia area is too expensive for me. I am looking to rent in the Charles Town / Harpers Ferry area for less than $1000. Can anyone give me any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 12:28 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
What are you looking for? There are 1 bedroom apartments in Leesburg for less than $1000. Are you looking for a larger place, a detached home, or what? Try homesdatabase.com, start with Leesburg and pan out using the map feature.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 PM

We are looking for 2 bedrooms and would prefer to live in a smaller community. We'd like a detached home, but it's not necessary. Our first priority is to find a nice area. We have a baby on the way and don't want to deal with drug deals in the parking lot. After that rent is the largest concern, obliviously the lower the better.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
We live in Fairfax VA and we drive to Harpers Ferry and Charles Town often to visit.

I think commuting on 2-lane Route 9 would be very tough and probably downright dangerous.

If you choose to live near Berryville, you could take 4-lane Route 7 all the way to Leesburg. That is a very nice road.

All of the country in that area is absolutely, positively beautiful.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM

537 posts, read 958,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetworth View Post
We are looking for 2 bedrooms and would prefer to live in a smaller community. We'd like a detached home, but it's not necessary. Our first priority is to find a nice area. We have a baby on the way and don't want to deal with drug deals in the parking lot. After that rent is the largest concern, obliviously the lower the better.
I don't know of anywhere in Jefferson County -- which includes Charles Town and Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown -- that would have "drug deals in the parking lot". But maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,236,839 times
The commute from Charles Town across is rt 340 south and rt 7 east (virtually all four lane) is pretty easy .... you can avoid rt 9 without a problem. It might be prohibitively time consuming to try to use rt340/rt7 from Harpers Ferry .... rt 9 might be the best option from there. Hopefully someone that travels that route will comment.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the tips. I found a few houses i'm going to check out for rent from that website. The drug deals was from a review I read of an appartment in Leesburg. I lived in a bad area like that once; I don't want to with a child. From what I've been able to find online Jefferson Co sounds like what I'm looking for.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 23,931 times
My husband and I are moving from Florida somewhere up north. We are both retired and want to find a small, quaint town in the mountains. What is Charles Town like?

Tank you!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM

389 posts, read 796,822 times
Charles Town is a small exurb of DC, home of Charles Town Races and Slots, and near edge cities like Winchester and Frederick. I don't think I'd recommend it if you're looking for small and quaint. I'd more likely recommend Harper's Ferry, Shepherdstown, and Berkeley Springs, all in the same general vicinity as Charles Town. Harper's Ferry is probably the best small town in West Virginia and holds a lot of history. Shepherdtown is home to Shepherd University, a small four-year college with a little under 5,000 students, and has a quirky little downtown. Berkeley Springs is an artsy little town.

I would also recommend to you Cumberland and Frostburg, Maryland. Cumberland has a picturesque backdrop of beautiful church steeples and the Allegheny Mountains. It is home to a thriving arts scene, an up and coming downtown, grand Victorian homes, and that small town charm that can be hard to find these days. Frostburg is ten miles to its west and is a great Main Street community and home to Frostburg State University (5,000+ students). Deep Creek Lake, one of the best lake communities in the East is only 30-45 minutes west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia