Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting (and related) article:
Don Blankenship: The Dark Lord of Coal Country | Rolling Stone Politics

Anybody have any thoughts / opinions on all that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
I'm sad to say that WV may be ultimately doomed. Unless they build up on lumber farming perhaps?

And I'm sure wind-farming could help.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Don Blankenship was a good CEO for Massey and they paid him fairly...14 million divided this year and next.

I feel that he has a calling in the political area and will follow that route...he is witty, no nonsense and a man of his word...he also carrys concealed.

three traits lacking and much needed in the legislature and national capitol...

PS: Most of the lumber in Wv is owned or managed by Rockefeller companies...the last of the great eastern hardwoods.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Don Blankenship was a good CEO for Massey and they paid him fairly...14 million divided this year and next.

I feel that he has a calling in the political area and will follow that route...he is witty, no nonsense and a man of his word...he also carrys concealed.

From reading that Rolling Stone article, yeah, I'd say he sounds like a perfect politician. Lying, cheating, bullying, in it for himself, the hell with the rest of America (both the people and the land)... yep, he's perfect. No doubt in my mind Sarah Palin would come stump for him too.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

PS: Most of the lumber in Wv is owned or managed by Rockefeller companies...the last of the great eastern hardwoods.
Massey got away with as little regulation as possible with regard to safety and the environment. Many people paid the price with their lives, and communities have been devoured by mountaintop removal.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
good article in Rolling Stone.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
In a regional area with few options, Don Blankenship funded schools, water projects and the general population as a whole by providing good paying jobs...

thank you, Don.

Keep your eye on the mines up north in Wv...It's time for one of them to blow.
Ignorance of safe work practices, lack of mining experience and disregard for proper proceedures are about to show itself.

# 9 blew in 1968....We are due for another..

And may God help us....Don't know what I'm talking about?
My crew recovered the last of the # 9 bodies...Dec 22, 1978.
I've been there in 3-D...

Merry Christmas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia