U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 PM

55 posts, read 163,073 times

Advertisements

May be taking a job between Fairmont and Bridgeport and will be looking for housing. Want to understand a "feel" for all 3 of these cities, how they are similar and different. I have a 7 year old, so schools are important, I believe all 3 have good schools (correct me if I'm wrong please). Morgantown/Cheat Lake area will be the farthest commute obviously, but want to know if there are things (culture, restaurants, etc.) that may make the drive worth it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Also, if you recommend a particular area, please give me an idea of subdivisions/areas that might be of interest. Particulars, looking for 300-400k range home, 1/2 acre or more.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,360,965 times
Triangularly...they are opposites...

Motown...drunks, sex and dope for the college crowd...
Fairmont....a dead town with a lot of hotdog emporiums...
Bridgeport....????? A place where the realtors sequestor the newbies...

Try the outlying small towns of each for a taste of what America once was..

Cheat Lake around Imperial Woods...
Barrackville, Rivesville...Pleasant Valley..
Shinnston...or Monongah...

Good luck...you will need it

Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 PM

989 posts, read 2,051,315 times
ummm....let me take a crack at this:

Morgantown: The nicest overall in terms of growth/development/cultural opportunities, it's the "trendy" city of West Virginia if that makes any sense. It's obviously very transient and youthfull due to the college culture that's there, everything revolves around WVU. The nightlife, food, and attractions are arguably the best in the state. Morgantown is the first regional satellite to Pittsburgh, West Virginia's most successful city, and the only city within the general SWPA/E.OH/WV corridor that's growing and making progress. Good recreational activities and tons of outdoorsey stuff to do, lots of new and old housing, slightly expensive compared to the other options though but overall not necessarily expensive by national standards. It's a nice little college town that's growing, just stay out of the college kiddie parts of town if you don't want to deal with college kiddie antics. I'd personally check into a home around Cheat Lake if I had your needs/price point to work with. It would be within a very short drive of everything that Morgantown has to offer, Pittsburgh is right up the road, and the overall location around Cheat Lake is very beautiful. You wouldn't have to worry about any of the WVU kiddies polluting the minds of your own kiddies that way too.

Fairmont: Down the road from Morgantown. Much more static and without too much to do, way more family oriented. Not a bad place at all, it's just a very typical "small town America" type of community that could seem a bit boring unless you're just looking for a place to live/work/raise a family.

Bridgeport: Eh...I can't really comment too much, it's sort of like Fairmont but with even less people and maybe less to do. It's slightly nicer in my oppinion, but you're pretty far from civilization in terms of picking up and heading to another town or a city for more options. It's for people who want small town life and lots of simplicity.

If the drive isn't an issue for you, I would honestly settle on Morgantown/Cheat Lake....but I'm 25/single and maybe not looking at the overall picture in the same light as you are.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Telecaster, thanks for the rundowns on each. Lived in Parkersburg for 30 years, but not intimately familiar with North Central WV.

Cheat Lake area probably sounds the best for us, wife is a city girl, from Philadelphia, just have to decide if I can make the drive daily, looks like it's around 40 miles each way.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM

33,713 posts, read 19,153,768 times
Bridgeport is a fairly wealthy little suburb and it's all about the kids! Very family oriented and everyone is very motivated to have their child succeed. Bridgeport is probably a little cleaner, newer and well-kept than Fairmont.

We moved to another state; but I thought Bridgeport was a pretty good place to raise kids.

Now, had my job been in Morgantown; I would definitely wanted to live there because it always seemed like there was more to do; and they had good schools as well.

Last on the list of three would have been Fairmont; though my son surely enjoyed swimming there. It just wasn't someplace that I particularly wanted to live.

Housing prices go from most expensive to least like this: Morgantown, Bridgeport,Fairmont.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks Ringo! If my wife can find some things to do in Bridgeport, that's probably our best bet.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
All of NCWV is on an economic upswing. As to which town it all depends on what you like. Bridgeport/Clarksburg and Fairmont are more laid back family oriented towns that lack the cultural amenities of cosmopolitan Morgantown. If you like a younger environment, The University City is the choice for you will more than 200 eating establishments and other amenities. If you want more of a bedroom community environment and some of the best Italian eateries found anywhere, try the Clarksburg area.

If you want to shop in upscale shops, you're probably going to have to drive to Pittsburgh for most of those although some of them are starting to pop up in Morgantown these days.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks CTM, considering Fairmont as well, but wife is really interested in plenty of housing around us for meeting people (she will be working from home every day) and not sure Fairmont offers the "subdivision" living that the others do. If anyone has information to the contrary, please advise. Home finding trip will be occurring soon.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,348 times
I live in the Cheat Lake area in a small family oriented development. Lots of young kids. This would be the Cheat Lake Elementary school district. We are right off of Exit 7 on 68. I work just off the South Fairmont exit and it takes me 25 minutes to get to work.

Based on your price range you are in the ball park. Mostly professionals that live here and easy to get to 68/79 or 857 toward PA

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks Cheatlake,

South Fairmont is 132 or 133, correct. I'm going to 124, so probably another 10 minutes. My wife is in love with the Cheat Lake area, a few developments really caught her eye (Greystone, Summit at Cheat, etc.). If you have any info on the developments or other areas to look at, please share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia