Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

I myself am from the Alleghenies in rural southern NY. For the past five years I've lived in Louisiana, and I've been missing the hills. I've been planning to move back northwards into the Alleghenies and there-about but I'm not sure to where yet.

I may not go all the way back to New York. I've long been charmed with West Virginia. To the point where it feels like home to me despite never having lived there. It's like where I came from but without all of the big-city transplants to ruin my country-side. :P

So! Here's where you come in. I want to know more about West Virginia to help me make my decision.

What do you love about the state?

What are the negative aspects?

Would a rural New Yorker from the hills be at home there?

What are the best areas?

How friendly are the people?

For reference I've looked at the area around Elkins (absolutely beautiful), as well as a few places towards the Ohio side. I would rather live in the northern half, but it's not extremely important. And I'd definitely prefer a rural town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
The area around Elkins is some of the most beautiful land in the country. I get there every chance I can. Nothing else needs added.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 13,079 times
I live in the coalfields. I wouldn't live anywhere else. The small town atmosphere is absolutely priceless. The elementary school my children attend has 120 students. There is only one class per grade level from preschool through 6th grade. Some classes have as few as 11 students, while no class has more than 22 or 23. You know all of your neighbors, not just by name, but also by work schedule, habits, etc. If you want to be sort of anonymous, this is not the place for you. But you said you come from a rural area, so a lot of those aspects of small town life are ones you'd experience anywhere. Personally, it works for me. I like knowing who my kids are playing with, not to mention knowing everything about their families.
As far as beauty, it doesn't get better than this. We love to go mountain biking, camping, fishing, or just hiking through the woods. You can't go 30 or 40 miles in any direction without running into a state or national forest or park, let alone the views you get just driving along the road to the store. We have 4 distinct seasons here, so the scenery is always changing, along with the activities available during each one.
Good Luck on your move!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
When I lived in Iowa I got sick of saying that the part of NY I was from was further from NY City than they were from Chicago, and finally just started saying "Pennsylvania" when the topic of where I was from came up. I wonder if that might help with WV too.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
When I lived in Iowa I got sick of saying that the part of NY I was from was further from NY City than they were from Chicago, and finally just started saying "Pennsylvania" when the topic of where I was from came up. I wonder if that might help with WV too.
You to?

Down here in Louisiana I appeared so rural that everybody thought I was a southerner. I'd say, "guess where I'm from" and they'd guess Tennessee, Kentucky or Arkansas. I'd tell them New York and they'd stare at me like I was growing antlers.

I'd tell them about my experiences as a poor rural man in the hills and they'd be glued to it with absolute fascination. Always saying things like, "This was in New York!?" and "I never thought the north was like that!"

After a while telling the stories gets tiring though. So I'd just say Pennsylvania. Occasionally saying Nashville since I have so many friends there. XD

But when I'm not tired, I am always willing to share my experiences.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaCadle View Post
I live in the coalfields. I wouldn't live anywhere else. The small town atmosphere is absolutely priceless. The elementary school my children attend has 120 students. There is only one class per grade level from preschool through 6th grade. Some classes have as few as 11 students, while no class has more than 22 or 23. You know all of your neighbors, not just by name, but also by work schedule, habits, etc. If you want to be sort of anonymous, this is not the place for you. But you said you come from a rural area, so a lot of those aspects of small town life are ones you'd experience anywhere. Personally, it works for me. I like knowing who my kids are playing with, not to mention knowing everything about their families.
As far as beauty, it doesn't get better than this. We love to go mountain biking, camping, fishing, or just hiking through the woods. You can't go 30 or 40 miles in any direction without running into a state or national forest or park, let alone the views you get just driving along the road to the store. We have 4 distinct seasons here, so the scenery is always changing, along with the activities available during each one.
Good Luck on your move!
Sounds absolutely wonderful! And exactly the kind of tight community I'm used to.

I miss that. Believe it or not, south Louisiana is really anonymous. Not the closeness I came up with. Feels lonely.

I really would love to visit your town and meet some folks. It's how I get my bearings in new states. Heck, sometimes it garners good friends, even if only long distance. It's how I made connections in Tennessee!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,079 times
Well, I'm not really close to Parkersburg, but I wouldn't necessarily call it far either. If you want to be close enough to visit family regularly, but still be close to W&C Hospital, I would suggest an area like the one I live in. I'm within 30 miles of Charleston, but far enough out to take advantage of that rural/country way of life that my family depends on. The town I live in has less than 200 people, and the median home price is probably around 50k.(It gets considerably higher the closer you get to the city) Wherever you decide to move, though, I hope you and your family are happy and find what you're looking for.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:14 AM

48 posts, read 99,306 times
Hey CookieSkoon (?) how about an update? Where did you move... Did you move?... Or did you grow too accustomed to that good ole Louisiana food? Gumbo mmmmM

Old 06-15-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringomania View Post
Hey CookieSkoon (?) how about an update? Where did you move... Did you move?... Or did you grow too accustomed to that good ole Louisiana food? Gumbo mmmmM
Hey wow I never noticed the reply!

Well yes I did move. I ended up back in NY because of family.

I researched and hunted down places in WV (And western PA) but sadly an unexpected financial crisis hit us and I had to come back here short of notice and empty of pocket.

I lost my land and ended up staying here with my brother in Elmira. Right now I have an apartment in Montour Falls but finding sufficient non-seasonal work has been... fruitless. Unfortunately I had to quit the winery I worked at as the boss never gave me hours after a while and I didn't like how he treated the customers (he's from NYC, do the math).

It looks as though I may end up out in southwest Ohio in the coming year. A close friend of mine out there is looking for a place within 100 or so miles of Cincy and has offered me a room when he gets it. We're thinking Hillsboro or Chillicothe.

I still would love to be in WV. Elkins, Morgantown, Wheeling, Huntington; all great areas I'd be happy in. Found a small town called Albright I really liked. Reminded me of Millport, NY.

Sadly it seems as though life keeps forcing me to get close but end up dancing around WV.

Some day! Some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia