Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

Well I lived here 35 yrs.... I bred dogs 15 of those yrs. I SEEN people Breed Wolf Crosses! I also know hunters that Rescued Timber Wolves & Hand raised them when parents were killed. No Expert! I also seen up clse & personal the Wolves they were releasing in the Rockies! No They are Not like the Timber wolves around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 AM

413 posts, read 937,778 times
Katie, not sure if you noticed or not, but WV isn't in the Rockies. A timber wolf is a timber wolf is a timber wolf. They look very similar, no matter where they are. That's part of the definition of a species. A wolf is BIG. Very big. They're not 'small shepard' size. Not even close.

People can breed wolf crosses, but that's not relevant. I can acquire a wolf and breed it with a dog too. That doesn't mean there are wolves in Southern Illinois, just because there are wolf hybrids.

Here's a decent picture of what a wolf print (http://wolves.wordpress.com/2006/10/19/comparison-of-wolf-and-dog-tracks/ - broken link) looks like next to a 60 lb dog (small shepard) print.

And here's a good photo essay of the evolutionary transition between dogs and wolves.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM

33 posts, read 65,504 times
I had one in my front yard one morning. But I know of two people with in 3 miles that keep wolves in cages. So I think one just got out.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
I think people would be more concerned about velociraptors in West Virginia. There's a whole book on the subject.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No Expert! I also seen up clse & personal the Wolves they were releasing in the Rockies! No They are Not like the Timber wolves around here!
Yes I agree I bet they weren't either.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I think people would be more concerned about velociraptors in West Virginia. There's a whole book on the subject.
When I was young Charleston had all kinds of Wolf Dens.
Quarrier and Capitol St. Blossom Daries and Valley Bell
Sugar Bowl and the Shoneys. All in the city limits. I think
we should be the endangered species. Scare daylight out
of that old twolegged veloco---mouth.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM

204 posts, read 417,986 times
thanks Newtgirl.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 9,591 times
I live in SE Ohio and know I saw a wolf here. My sons were with me. I'm an avid hiker and have hiked the northwest US national parks and KNOW what a wolf looks like. Originally from Michigan, I know the difference between a wolf and a coyote. So if we have them here there are probably some in West Virginia as well. Also saw a mountain lion walking from a field into the edge of the woods. We haven't seen as many deer lately in SE Ohio in the past month and my husband and I were just discussing that a couple of days ago. As we live in the woods we typically see a LOT of deer but haven't lately. Wonder why... p.s. Rickers, WV has grizzlies? Guess that fact escaped me somehow. Never seen anything but black bear there as far as bears go... : )

Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 AM

9 posts, read 28,325 times
I have a farm in Pendleton Co and Grant Co. The Pendleton Co one is very remote and in all of the years we've had it, we've never seen one nor had a problem with any.

That being said, we do have coyote problems. We don't run sheep on the Pendleton Co one because we're not there enough but our neighbors do and they trap the coyote's because of sheep killing.

We had one neighbor run a huge coyote on our Grant Co farm last fall. He didn't get it but more than one neighbor said it was huge.

We also own land just across the river from Jefferson Co Wv and have lived here almost all of our lives, we've never seen wolves but do have coyote problems here.

At this point, I would say no to wolves, however, we have had mountain lion trouble here too. We've had one try to get out house cat. And yes, you know what it is when that scream wakes you up from a sound sleep so that both of you sit straight up in bed with your hair standing up. Also, we had the tracks of it in our garden. They were bigger than our Rottweilers tracks, though she ran it off.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwhit View Post
anyone ever see or hear of wolves here? Just got a report of a large wolf in Jefferson County at the Shiloh subdivision (between Ranson and Bardane). The person that witnessed this is a native of California,so he should know what a wolf looks like.He said he is 99% sure it was a wolf. Anyone else seen anything?....oh and some house pets are missing.
We were camped in the Canaan Valley Resort Campground last Saturday night, (Nov 12, 2011) and heard what sounded like a wolf howl during a near full moon right outside our camper door at about 3am. I have lived in Montana and Minnesota, and know what both a coyote and a wolf sound like. This was definitely NOT a coyote. I've only heard a wolf a couple of times, though, and am not completely sure this was a wolf. Might have been a dog, but it sure sounded like a wolf. Just wanting to chime in on this wolf question, and see if there is any possibility that what we heard might have been a wolf; wondering what others might have heard or seen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia