Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM

33 posts, read 79,352 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all
I'm in Mississippi, but am pointing a friend of mine from Panama City Beach, Florida to a new place to live. He and his wife are going to have another baby soon, and say they want to raise their kid in a smaller town that is safe. I have a friend up in Charleston, WV, and he's said good things about Beckley. I was pointing them to McComb, Mississippi, but Beckley sounds better for them... They are baptists from the deep south, like me, and were wondering if Southern West Virginia is like the rest of the South? So basically if y'all could tell me how the Beckley are is, that would be great!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,678 times
Since you mention they are Baptists I assume that is important to them. According to city compare statistics McComb has a lot more Baptists and a larger percentage of religious people.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Sorry that got all garbled when I posted. It would be easier to just look at the website.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2011 at 06:14 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Hey y'all
I'm in Mississippi, but am pointing a friend of mine from Panama City Beach, Florida to a new place to live. He and his wife are going to have another baby soon, and say they want to raise their kid in a smaller town that is safe. I have a friend up in Charleston, WV, and he's said good things about Beckley. I was pointing them to McComb, Mississippi, but Beckley sounds better for them... They are baptists from the deep south, like me, and were wondering if Southern West Virginia is like the rest of the South? So basically if y'all could tell me how the Beckley are is, that would be great!

Thanks.
Beckley is.............COOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDD.
While culturally Beckley has a southern/southern appalachian culture, the climate is very similar to southern Canada, Upstate NY, Michigan, etc. It's the elevation which makes it so cold in winter. However in the summer, you rarely need AC.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM

33 posts, read 79,352 times
The religion part might put them off... but otherwise, what is the are like? Things to do and where are the nicer parts of town?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Beckley Raleigh County Chamber of Commerce

Lots to do. There are nice older neighborhoods and a lot of new subdivisions.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
They are baptists from the deep south, like me, and were wondering if Southern West Virginia is like the rest of the South? So basically if y'all could tell me how the Beckley are is, that would be great!

Thanks.

I am originally from Charleston, WV (45 minutes or so to the North of Beckley). My brother still lives in the Beckley area.

Decent little city, family oriented, and enough to do if you're not party folks (and you're not). Regarding the religion part, it's important to know there are difference between "Baptist" and "Southern Baptist". My Brother and his neighbors are all church going people, but a family from Alabama moved onto their street and religion has come up a few times and my Brother has commented to me, "Are these people for real??".

Small details were given that I won't go into here as this isn't mean to promote or knock any particular denomination, only to point out that if your friends are of the very vocal ultra-conservative type, that generally isn't the "feel" of Beckley. People are more to themselves overall regarding politics/religion with more of a, "If we don't like it we'll leave it alone if it leaves us alone", mentality as opposed to a, "If we don't like it, we're going to get rid of it", mentality sometimes more commonly found in the deeper south areas (I live in Georgia now so can make the comparison). So only you know what "slot" your friends fit in, and if that would be a fit for them or not, but West Virginians are very accepting of all people in general, so long as they don't have an in-your-face personality regarding politics/religion.

Aside from that, in Beckley you are as mentioned, only 45 minutes from Charleston which is a little larger with more stuff to do if you would need that, and there are numerous state parks in the area along with your standard restaurants, etc. A note - regarding weather, Beckley seems to be in a little microclimate of it's own sometimes, and when it snows in Charleston, Beckley always seems to get more (so be snow-ready in Winter).

Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 9,592 times
We're not from the Beckley area but visit down there as much as we can. The town has about anything you could want as far as shopping, and you can drive about 10 minutes out of town for some of the most beautiful views in the world. I'm from the shores of Lake Michigan originally and can say, from watching WV weather (we live in SE Ohio) that Beckley DOES NOT get as much snow as my folks do in Michigan. However, because of Beckley's altitude I've seen that it does get a fair amount of snow. But the warmth we've found from people in West Virginia far outweighs any bad weather! You get the southern charm/hospitality from people that you find in the deep south (my folks are originally from Alabama and Georgia and that's where their families still live). We plan to retire to WV in a few years, somewhere close to Beckley. I've done a lot of traveling and have to say that southern WV is the place for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia