Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:36 AM

70 posts, read 171,791 times

Advertisements

VZW has launched the XLTE service in Morgantown & Wheeling!! Slight improvement in speeds in the Morgantown area but still same deadspots around Olive Garden/ Red Lobster areas. Still no service in Buckhannon or Elkins which is somewhat frustrating especially traveling the Route 33 corridor E into Virginia. Cellco Partnership Towers in Buckhannon & Elkins just not turned on, not sure if VZW dragging thier feet or FCC process holding them up???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Smile 4G LTE updates

Well VZW finally finished up adding LTE services to the town of Belington WV. It was spotty for about 6 months but now fully covered. Still extended 1X services in Elkins & Buckhannon but also some 4G LTE extended service in Buckhannon. I hope that verizon addresses these areas soon but it looks like a potential agreement with US Cellular in Buckhannon for LTE Extended. Looks like VZW purchased some AWS-3 spectrum in the eastern portion of the state where there is no VZW coverage. Anyone else have new service to report??

Old 06-18-2019, 09:07 AM

Thumbs down No progress on RT 33 (Corridor H)

Well its been 4 years since I bumped this thread & still no progress in the Buckhannon or Elkins areas along RT. 33. The areas are still dominated by AT&T & US Cellular with 1X Extended for Verizon customers traveling the route until you pass into Virginia. Have been a Verizon customer for over 10 years now I would assume these areas may never be addressed.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrcp View Post
Well its been 4 years since I bumped this thread & still no progress in the Buckhannon or Elkins areas along RT. 33. The areas are still dominated by AT&T & US Cellular with 1X Extended for Verizon customers traveling the route until you pass into Virginia. Have been a Verizon customer for over 10 years now I would assume these areas may never be addressed.
West Virginia has always been a dead zone for Verizon.

Even here in the Eastern Panhandle where you're 20 minutes from a state line in every direction and a bedroom community for two major cities...dead service as soon as you cross the state line.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM

23 posts, read 42,279 times
I actually get a pretty poor signal for AT&T along 81 from Winchester to Chambersburg as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,654 times
How is T-Mobile around the state?

Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
How is T-Mobile around the state?
Unless they get their merger with Sprint, I am not sure about T-Mobile or if they are even in WV.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Thumbs up Verizon LTE on RT. 33 E in Buckhannon WV

Noticed Verizon LTE on my last trip to the Elkins WV area on October 13th, started picking it up on RT 33 East just outside of Buckhannon & it stayed active until I reached my destination in Elkins near the Hospital. I spoke with Verizon Technical Support, they stated it was not coming from US Cellular because their is no LTE roaming agreement with them. Any VZW customers in the Elkins or Buckhannon area that is receiving LTE service??

Last edited by Richrcp; 10-18-2019 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Typographical error

Old 10-18-2019, 09:35 AM

23 posts, read 42,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Gatzby View Post
I actually get a pretty poor signal for AT&T along 81 from Winchester to Chambersburg as well.
FYI, I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon (brought the same iPhone Xs Max with me) and my signal is all around better now.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Unhappy Clarification to previous post on VZW LTE in Buckhannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrcp View Post
Noticed Verizon LTE on my last trip to the Elkins WV area on October 13th, started picking it up on RT 33 East just outside of Buckhannon & it stayed active until I reached my destination in Elkins near the Hospital. I spoke with Verizon Technical Support, they stated it was not coming from US Cellular because their is no LTE roaming agreement with them. Any VZW customers in the Elkins or Buckhannon area that is receiving LTE service??
After testing & several tech support phone calls its merely US Cellular LTE & all Verizon customers have is access to is to the voice portion. US Cellular was just late to installing VOLTE technology & that left LTE for voice only to meet roaming agreement requirements. Had been a Verizon customer for 12 years and was told countless times that Verizon was working to cover the Buckhannon & Elkins portion of WV & no progress was ever made. Finally made the decision to switch to Sprint, due to the way Shentel had built out Sprint's coverage in WV & the merger with Tmobile. It seems like together they may have the right formula for better coverage in WV. I doubt that Verizon ever invests in Millimeter wave 5G in WV, unless its around WVU's Campus, Mountaineer Field, or a few of the other bigger venues in the state. The best chance would be mid or low band 5G, which will take years to purchase & roll out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia