Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 16,451 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'm working on a book that I'd like to set in West Virginia and I've been there many times, but as I don't live there, I could really use some suggestions from locals who know the state better.

Can anyone recommend an area of West Virginia that is fairly rural? I'm looking for a town or region that would have spaced out homes with lots of land, specifically with deep woods surrounding the area, where there wouldn't be much of a town center for quite a ways, but near enough to a highway or main back road, if possible.

It's pretty flexible because the vast majority of the book is set in one isolated house and the surrounding woods. There are a few scenes here and there that take place along backroads, at service stations, motels, etc. but that's it, pretty basic as far as setting.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Start in the geographical center of the state at Flatwoods and move any direction from there. Summersville is close and Elkins also comes to mind and it isn't far.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much, bballjunkie! Elkins seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Extremely helpful! I appreciate the super fast response

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
You might also try Pocahontas County. It is incredibly rural.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
Lobelia in Pocahontas County. It's a couple of miles from Droop Mountain Battlefield, Hillsboro, Rte 219. Marlinton would be the closest town of any size (about 1500 pop.), and that's 15-20 miles away. Terrain is rolling to mountainous.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 AM

40 posts, read 104,801 times
Most sections of Randolph and Pocahontas counties would fit your criteria. Pickens/Helvetia (Randolph county) would be an interesting choice with its remote location, its own tiny school, and harsh winters.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,198 times
What made you choose West Virginia? Why not your home state where you would know the area better?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Thank you all so much for your wonderful suggestions! These are exactly the types of places that I was looking for. I'll spend more time researching the areas you've recommended and will probably drive over and visit them soon to get a first hand look. I really appreciate the help, guys!

For Margery, I am from NYC and while there are rural areas of upstate New York, the upper East Coast / New England feel just isn't what I'm going for with this story. I wanted it to be set in the WV/VA/NC/SC area and for a number of reasons related to the plot, I chose WV. Due to the premise, I don't need to be 100% familiar with the town and road layouts, since the settings themselves are generally fairly generic (house, woods, roads, highways). But it's told in a non-linear fashion, so referencing specific locations and dates, knowing the state and county laws, etc. is an essential part of the story structure, which means I need to have a clear idea of exactly where these people are, nearby towns, stores, gas stations and so on

Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 PM

18 posts, read 111,272 times
Cool I just want to help out.

If you will email me at misguidedyouth57@hotmail I will gladly hook you up with a local yocal in Lumberport who is one of THEE most helpful informative and easy to talk to people ANYWHERE! I now live in Texas but he and I talk all the time and he is a wealth of info and very intelligent too. Sincerely homesickhillbilly

Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Anyone with half a brain knows the entire state is extremely rural except for maybe Charleston, Huntington and a couple other places like maybe Beckley, Princeton, Bluefield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia