Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 13,205 times

Advertisements

OMG!! Elkins is TERRIBLE!!! Absolutely NOTHING to do there and i mean NOTHING!! hit the walmart and head on home....Horrible!! it reminds me of a scary "Wrong Turn" kinda movie town... And Ramps are a type of Spring/green onion... Berkeley Springs has the Ramp Fest every year. Can smell it a mile away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM

413 posts, read 938,172 times
Well, you know what they say about opinions... Everyone has one.

Never once have I gotten the 'wrong turn' impression from Elkins. You've obviously never been to Detroit!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGirl74 View Post
OMG!! Elkins is TERRIBLE!!! Absolutely NOTHING to do there and i mean NOTHING!! hit the walmart and head on home....Horrible!! it reminds me of a scary "Wrong Turn" kinda movie town... And Ramps are a type of Spring/green onion... Berkeley Springs has the Ramp Fest every year. Can smell it a mile away!
Walmart, then the Flea Market - THEN head home.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Walmart, then the Flea Market - THEN head home.
hmm, well I guess it can be as trashy as you make it, or are used to

I have never been to the flea market and I've lived there my whole life aside from college. There are plenty of shops to check out downtown and all over Randolph County... if people choose to continually go to Walmart & Kmart and then complain that there is no where else to shop.. well that's their stupidity. There are also lots of places to eat, or grab a drink. Plenty of variety if you only try it.

and to the trollop above who said Elkins gave her the impression of wrong turn. My only advise is to go back where you came from, you clearly weren't worthy enough for Elkins and people snubbed you. I was probably one of them... Sorry lol

Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 AM

15 posts, read 49,857 times
Default Even if it's bad...

We still have to live there for the next three years, so I am really looking for the positive info that anyone has. We aren't looking for excitement anymore...just good elementary and preschools for the kids! I'm looking forward to the pepperoni rolls and trying ramps. We love garlic, so I think we will be fans!

Are the surrounding towns more appealing? Either way, we will be there mid-July!

Oh, does anyone know when the schools start up? In New England it is the end of August, or more commonly, after Labor Day. When we lived in the Southwest, it was anywhere from the beginning of August to late August. I've got one starting Kindergarten and want to make sure we get there in time for the first day!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PataKat View Post

Oh, does anyone know when the schools start up? In New England it is the end of August, or more commonly, after Labor Day. When we lived in the Southwest, it was anywhere from the beginning of August to late August. I've got one starting Kindergarten and want to make sure we get there in time for the first day!
Here's the link to the 2010-2011 School Calendar for Randolph County (Elkins and vicinity). I couldn't find the 2011-12 calendar posted. I would think that most nearby counties would have similar schedules.

First day for students: August 19, 2010 (Thursday)
Last Day for students: June 7, 2011

Keep in mind that it's usually necessary to schedule some make-up days in the Spring to allow for the days in the winter when school is canceled due to snow. (There are some make-up days already built into the schedule.)

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PataKat View Post
We still have to live there for the next three years, so I am really looking for the positive info that anyone has. We aren't looking for excitement anymore...just good elementary and preschools for the kids! I'm looking forward to the pepperoni rolls and trying ramps. We love garlic, so I think we will be fans!

Are the surrounding towns more appealing? Either way, we will be there mid-July!

There really aren't any "surrounding towns". Don't listen to the negative comments. It's one of the most beautiful places in the country (or at least the surrounding area around Elkins is).

If your idea of a good time is the mall, no Elkins doesn't offer a lot. There are simply a ton of things for school age children to see. Things they will remember far longer than a mall.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 PM

15 posts, read 49,857 times
Default Glad I asked!

That is a bit earlier than I had expected, but we should still make it in time to get registered! Thanks so much for posting that! I hadn't looked it up yet since we don't have an address yet, and I wasn't sure what school it would be.

We are currently in northern New Hampshire, and we get some SERIOUS winter weather up here! I was hoping for a warmer climate, but it seems that you have snow, too. Big storms, or just a few inches and everyone panics? When we lived in TX and GA, people would see a flake and posts would shut down, schools close, etc! I am glad to hear that we'll still get a winter though! (Hopefully, just a much shorter and milder one!)

Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
No panic. People are used to it. Ski resorts are not far from Elkins. It's not likely as long or deep as N.H. winters.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Even if you don't know where you'll be living, you might want to contact the school district now, since they're already holding Kindergarten registration (according to the website).

And don't worry about the snow. Elkins is in a valley, and while it gets some good snowstorms, they're seldom of the multi-foot variety that might hit Thomas or Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia