Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 AM

5 posts, read 26,890 times

Advertisements

thinking about moving to WV from Idaho. I have enough equity to move and still keep my home in Idaho (west central mnts,Id) .Weve raised five kids here and love it but the realestate market just makes it impossible to own acreage, and we are moutain people from Idaho needing alittle room!!!! Idaho property values are skyrocketing and that helps us equity wise, but we used to be in a small mountain town and now find ourselves surrounded by people who think they have more money than GOD. Our home hear is in TOWN. We still have three kids at home, twins 17 and the baby is 16.

Thinking about opening a small business....maybe collectables-antiques....west coast antiques...you know wagon wheels and cowboys!!! woo whoo!! LOL

Seriosly though...seen alittle store and acreage outside of Hinton WV ....Help....What Yall think ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
If you are intending to market most of your goods on line, Hinton would work very well. Seriously though, Hinton would welcome you with welcome arms.
Picturesque steep valley with highway and RR track through the center. Has been in the debts and depths of depression for decades. Remarkable history.
I'm hoping that some of our old coal mining towns can see a resurgence just like the small ghost towns of the west. Colorado, Utah and others had ghost towns that became big names..Hinton could be a start.
Some of my people lived and worked there years ago. A great-uncle was a mine superintendant during the coal mine wars. It offers a lovely landscape and colleges and shopping at Princeton/Bluefield.
Most antique dealers travel to sell their wares. In our area, the goods are collected and then taken to the New York, DC markets to be resold to other dealers or taken to shows. Some of the biggest and best are nearby (300 mile radius) Hinton would be a good locale to collect your goods.
Kentucky, NC and southern Virginia are an our away.
Might be a very good decision.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:09 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
You could also try the Randolph County or Tucker County areas, maybe even Pocahontas County. In Randolph there is Elkins, you could open up a little shop in downtown, that is flooded with tourists from train rides. You could live 10-20 minutes out of town and have a huge farm or just land. Tucker County you could do something online or in Davis, again LOTS OF TOURISTS. Two ski resorts like 5 minutes away, but not something like Aspen, a little lower key. Same thing for Pocahontas County. I'm not too familiar with Hinton. I think I've heard of it before. Kennedy seems to think it would be a nice town as well, as i'm sure it is too

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Thanks sooo much for the positive answers...

Elkins area (Randolph) was mentioned and the fact that there is two ski resorts just minutes away!!! This is actually wonderful news for my teenagers..we live just a few minutes from Tamarack Ski Resort and Brundage Ski Resort..so my kids have worked for and snowboarded at and skiied at both literally all their lives..!!!! Hey, whats the hunting and fishing like?? Thanx Carol

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Hunting is great... FISHING is top notch! There is a fish hatery in Bowden in Randolph County, about 10 minutes east of Elkins. You need to get a license to fish and hunt. But the area has some great hunting and fishing.

Play around this site some...

Welcome to the Heart of West Virginia! (http://www.randolphcountywv.com/Index.html - broken link)

I worked at ski resorts too when I was in high school.. I started skiing when I was 5, and then switched to snowboarding when I was about 16. The resorts that are nearby are Timberline 4 Seasons Resort, Canaan Valley Resort, and Snowshow Mountain Resort.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
GHO has possibly mentioned a better place for your relocation than Hinton.
Davis is having a resurgence and is becoming a little Aspen, Colorado here in Hillbilly Land. A Friend has just completed the restoration of the old Opera House there. Much effort is being made to restore and refine the attitude of (Davis) a logging town of the 1890. It is pristine. Blackwater Falls and the enormous lodge is so nearby...and all the resorts mentioned prior. Would be a mecca for the antique business and more nearer to the eastern coast markets.
By all means see this area and also may I mention, Thomas and possibly Parsons...Tucked away and left just as it was in 1890...One of my very favorites is Parsons...Home of McLain Printing...one of the best book publishers in the world, period...
I will have to say this...These areas have WINTER...they are remote. Many flatlanders come to these areas build a big home and put them up for sale the next year because they could not handle the winters...coming from Idaho, you may not have this problem...The LDS church is sparse in these areas too but congregations exist in Oakland, Md, Kingwood, and Elkins.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:23 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
As it happens, I just returned yesterday from nearly a week at Blackwater Falls.

I agree that Davis is a location you should definitely look into. The downtown appears to have reached the critical mass of businesses necessary for success. There are a half-dozen or more eateries of various flavors, a trail store, a hunting store, the only grocery in the Thomas-Davis-CV region, there's a new condo being developed, etc. Yet there are still available vacant storefronts, so rents might be reasonable. The ski slopes in CV attract a lot of visitors from the DC area, who might be good customers for your antiques.

Elkins is a larger city, and so would have more local traffic. Its downtown is 1950s modern (as opposed to Davis' 1920 rural). The town of Thomas is about the size of Davis, but the downtown currently has fewer businesses (perhaps because it's farther from Canaan Valley?).

Snorpus

Old 08-11-2007, 11:55 AM

If you need anything else I'm all ears

Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 AM

You guys are great!!!

I am soo excited now.. I have to write down some of the areas as I look them up online..but the trip to Wv that we were 'thinking' about has become a 'for sure' now. We must see this area to get a real bead on it. Shootin for end september? I bet fall is great there!! oh and remote is something we are definitly used to. The ski hill is closer to us then the nearest doctor..LOL and snow here is a given...LOTS of snow..so we should acclimate well..
Thanx

Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCarol View Post
thinking about moving to WV from Idaho. I have enough equity to move and still keep my home in Idaho (west central mnts,Id) .Weve raised five kids here and love it but the realestate market just makes it impossible to own acreage, and we are moutain people from Idaho needing alittle room!!!! Idaho property values are skyrocketing and that helps us equity wise, but we used to be in a small mountain town and now find ourselves surrounded by people who think they have more money than GOD. Our home hear is in TOWN. We still have three kids at home, twins 17 and the baby is 16.

Thinking about opening a small business....maybe collectables-antiques....west coast antiques...you know wagon wheels and cowboys!!! woo whoo!! LOL

Seriosly though...seen alittle store and acreage outside of Hinton WV ....Help....What Yall think ????
If you are thinking about locating to West Virginia, I have a home for sale. It is just off 460 in Princeton. On the street it is located on, there is only the 2 homes. 1 neighbor, which you can not even see, and my house. It is a beautiful home, 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths, kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, large great room, game room and tv room. It is a 3 story log siding home. We have a beautiful view of the city of Princeton, although we are not located in the city. You are minutes away from downtown Princeton, Walmart, Interstate 77. It is truly a wonderful location. If you are interested, let me know and I will try and email you a picture. Good luck on your search.westvirginiagal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia