Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I just can't understand why, with all the Marcellus Shale activity going on, the unemployment rate in Marshall-Wetzel-Tyler is amongst the highest in the state.
Because of layoffs in the chemical industry, but in time the Marcellus activity will increase employment there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM

4,947 posts, read 8,922,386 times
Here's is a link from the DEP for an Air Quality Index that is updated quite frequently. At the time of posting this, only 2 cities were listed as poor and that was Charleston and Parkersburg. Huntington is often mentioned in other reports but as you can see from this real time data, Huntington is currently the third best air quality(at the time of posting) in state cities, only behind Wheeling and Moundsville.

Air Quality Index

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
The fact that Moundsville is listed as well as is surprises me. It is very near both chemical and power plants of great magnitude.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,922,386 times
It all depends on the day. If you get a long stretch with no rain and more humid weather, the readings seem to be worse. Today, for instance, only Huntington, Parkersburg and Greenbrier Co. are listed as good while Charleston is listed as unhealthy for sensitive groups and all other cities are listed in the moderate range.

That's what is nice about that site, it doesn't generalize but gives you a frequently updated picture of air quality.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM

178 posts, read 581,549 times
Thank you! I am allergic to Sulfur, and when I am in high Sulfur dioxide areas, I can not even breathe!!!

I could swim in tree pollen and lawn clippings all day, and that does not effect me at all, it's the smog and pollution.........and what a shame, WV is so forested and mountainous and beautiful, looking at it you would think clean air.

I know Dow is a huge chemical company in Charleston, and they are one of the highest pollutants in the world..(not sure about that specific plant) but I am still worried about that, coal burning power plants, and industrial areas, of course.

I want to move there for the scenery and a god job offer, but I am scared of the pollution and air quality.

I am going to check out that link...thanks!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM

566 posts, read 1,576,008 times
Quote:
...what a shame, WV is so forested and mountainous and beautiful, looking at it you would think clean air.
That's true in many locations. While Parkersburg continually ranks high nationally for air pollution, a 30-40 minute drive from there places me in an environment that's quiet and air that's clean. The drinking water is also untreated and pure, at least in my favorite spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia