Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Your sister has her foot in the door of a nice company. If she works hard and makes a good impression, she could easily rise up in the organizaton. She needs to focus on meeting the right folks and making a good impression.
In that particular field, it wouldn't hurt for her to get a masters degree. Has she thought about that?

What are your particular interests? I'd bet we have plenty to do here too that would interest you.

LOL, She has no intrest in a Masters, but if she wanted to move up in Bob Evans she could anywhere there is one! She used to work at the one here in Elkview, and now is a manager in Mtown. She actualy wants to move up in BE, but that again has nothing to do with Mtown and all to do with social networking! Which I must say she is excelent at!

Me on the other hand could never be sucsessful in Mtown! That's because my ambitions are to turn Clendenin back into a sucessful community! I want to start off small with maybe a small business, then build up into a land development position! My plans would also include Charleston and other regional town!

Let's just say that this town is my life! I love it too!

I go to State and am a business Ad major (second year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM

12 posts, read 25,347 times
What is the hourly wage for an LPN? Can they work at hospitals in the state? Is it easy to find employment?

When I looked at BLS it says about $16 an hour, meaning about 30K a year. Is that right? If it is, what is the standard of living for a family with that salary?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Sorry Neeky, my post to you must have gotten lost amongst all of the off-topic bickering. According to indeed.com, the average yearly salary of a LPN in Huntington is $45,000/year ($21.63/hr) while the average yearly salary in Morgantown for a LPN comes in $10,000/year less at $35,000/year ($16.83/hr). Couple that with a greater number of hospitals close by, a lower cost of living and the fact that your brother is here as well. Your parents would also have the opportunity to buy a place with land in the future as many of the surrounding areas would offer that option. Here are the links to indeed.com for the info referenced above. Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to answer them for you.

Tim

LPN Salary in Huntington, WV | Indeed.com

LPN Salary in Morgantown, WV | Indeed.com

Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 25,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Sorry Neeky, my post to you must have gotten lost amongst all of the off-topic bickering. According to indeed.com, the average yearly salary of a LPN in Huntington is $45,000/year ($21.63/hr) while the average yearly salary in Morgantown for a LPN comes in $10,000/year less at $35,000/year ($16.83/hr). Couple that with a greater number of hospitals close by, a lower cost of living and the fact that your brother is here as well. Your parents would also have the opportunity to buy a place with land in the future as many of the surrounding areas would offer that option. Here are the links to indeed.com for the info referenced above. Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to answer them for you.

Tim

Thanks Tim. It just seems like that is obviously high for West Virginia. I told my mother and she does not believe me, so I guess waves were dramatically less when she was an lpn in 2000 there. Have wages increased for most people over the last ten years? The government salary data shows wages are much less, but there just made be a difference in years experience for the median, in which case my mom would likely make the higher wage.

Does anyone know what it is like for truckers in West Virginia? Government data on BLS suggests they have more open jobs than Oregon with generally higher pay, but I'm not sure if this is something that is easy to get into. What kind of license is required to drive? What do you see on the road? My dad has the license to drive semis with three trailers, but due to ridiculously high unemployment here he has absolutely no experience.

What about college aged students? Are they able to find any jobs?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeekyH View Post
Thanks Tim. It just seems like that is obviously high for West Virginia. I told my mother and she does not believe me, so I guess waves were dramatically less when she was an lpn in 2000 there. Have wages increased for most people over the last ten years? The government salary data shows wages are much less, but there just made be a difference in years experience for the median, in which case my mom would likely make the higher wage.

Does anyone know what it is like for truckers in West Virginia? Government data on BLS suggests they have more open jobs than Oregon with generally higher pay, but I'm not sure if this is something that is easy to get into. What kind of license is required to drive? What do you see on the road? My dad has the license to drive semis with three trailers, but due to ridiculously high unemployment here he has absolutely no experience.

What about college aged students? Are they able to find any jobs?
College aged students are having trouble finding good entry level jobs that require a degree. If you mean working as a waitress or at a store than no it is not hard, but for them to get their foot into the door of a company that will give them a career it is hard for them all across the country. Unemployment for recent grads and the youth is at an all time high.

Morgantown has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country though.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
That salary is high for WV but like I said before, from my experience as a PT and speaking with nurses that I work with, Huntington pays about the highest wages in the state for most healthcare jobs. I think your mom would be happy working here.

With regard to trucking jobs, I haven't researched that much but a quick google search returned a site with 82 job listings for the Huntington area for trucking jobs. I have no real clue about salary but using indeed.com again, it looks like most of the jobs would be in the $40-$60,000 range. I would say that it depends on the job and how much experience you have as well. Looking to the future, they are building an Intermodal Facility in Prichard which is about 25 min from Huntington. This site is specifically to aid in the loading and unloading of the new double stack rail cars that are/will be coming through the area to make shipping more efficient. This will likely bring more trucking jobs with it as well. To drive trucks, I think you just have to have your CDL. I've included a link from the DMV to help answer some of your questions.

Truck Driving Jobs in Huntington West Virginia - Local Trucking and CDL Jobs

Trucking Jobs Jobs, Employment in Huntington, WV 25702 | Indeed.com

Commercial Driver's License

With regards to college aged kids, there are always odds and ends jobs around. With downtown adding more businesses, odds are that there will be more of those around as well. Hope this helps.

Tim

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
LOL, She has no intrest in a Masters, but if she wanted to move up in Bob Evans she could anywhere there is one! She used to work at the one here in Elkview, and now is a manager in Mtown. She actualy wants to move up in BE, but that again has nothing to do with Mtown and all to do with social networking! Which I must say she is excelent at!

Me on the other hand could never be sucsessful in Mtown! That's because my ambitions are to turn Clendenin back into a sucessful community! I want to start off small with maybe a small business, then build up into a land development position! My plans would also include Charleston and other regional town!

Let's just say that this town is my life! I love it too!

I go to State and am a business Ad major (second year)
Well, you have noble ambitions and I wish you luck with those, but I don't know how you could possibly know whether or not her sister has an interest in a masters. Do you know the young lady, or are you just running your...?

Social networking is important in any field. But, except for nepotism, nothing counts more than plain old hard work. Good luck with helping
Clendenin improve, and with rescuing Charleston.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, you have noble ambitions and I wish you luck with those, but I don't know how you could possibly know whether or not her sister has an interest in a masters. Do you know the young lady, or are you just running your...?

Social networking is important in any field. But, except for nepotism, nothing counts more than plain old hard work. Good luck with helping
Clendenin improve, and with rescuing Charleston.

Thanks for your support, I try to set the bar high in everything I do!

Do I know her, she's my sister LOL She has no interest in one.

Clendenin is the challenge because the area is very stuck in the past! They don't understand that they are sitting on a gold mine with the Morris Creek WMA, and Elk River. Also the Elk River trail would turn everything upside down in terms of economy and tax revenue!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Tim's posting missed a few of the LPN jobs available in the Morgantown area that pay in excess of $40,000 per year. As of this date, there are 38 LPN jobs listed in that category within 25 miles on this site alone. If you consider that there is generally liberal overtime available on top of the listed rates, your mother might well be able to come close to her $60,000 earnings.

Morgantown has one of the Nation's lowest unemployment rates, and healthcare professionals are always in high demand here.

Licensed Practical Nurse LPN $40,000 Jobs, Employment in Morgantown, WV | Indeed.com

Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

Tim

Tim, not to start an argument understand, but just to present a different perspective the site and average salaries you posted must be missing something. As I noted above, there are currently 38 job offerings paying more than $40,000- for LPN within 25 miles of Morgantown, some right here in town. And, there is a strong demand for health professionals of every type here in the many hospitals in our region. I don't have time to do the research, but I suspect there are as many hospital beds within a half hour's drive of Morgantown as there are Huntington. We have scads of folks who work in Clarksburg, Fairmont, Uniontown, and Waynesburg as well as Morgantown. With our in-town traffic during rush hours it is actually quicker sometimes to get to work in those nearby communities than it is to drive across town.

I realize that you can do the same with Ashland and Ironton, but really, the number of beds in the two regions are in the same ball park so from the perspective of an LPN looking for work that would be pretty much a wash. I think an LPN could easily find work in either locale, so it would be other factors that would determine choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia