Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,845,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
you clearly don't know anything about state spending, and can't even give an example of your claims!
You are clearly ignorant about how WV if you dont know how Charleston underfunds Morgantown and Charleston. Nor have you provided any proof that they are not underfunded.

Face it your city is despicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,994,727 times
Quote:
More like the local Martinsburg government has not worked well with community organtizations, plus its the ghetto of one of the nicer areas in the state!

I think over all the town is good, and has some unique qualities like history and architecture!
The ghetto of a nice area... interesting that you would make that comment.

Martinsburg's archetecture is second only to Wheeling in the state. Nearly the whole town has amazing historic structures.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You are clearly ignorant about how WV if you dont know how Charleston underfunds Morgantown and Charleston. Nor have you provided any proof that they are not underfunded.

I think you meant to say Morgantown and Martinsburg. But, the winds they are a changin'. I think it is fair to say that in much of the state there is far from a favorable impression of our capitol city, which almost from the very beginning has taken advantage of the fact that our peripheral towns (Wheeling, Huntington, Parkersburg, Morgantown, Martinsburg) are located near state lines and thus their populatons spill over into other states. That, giving them a higher "in state" population mass has enabled them to rape and pillage the rest of the state almost at will. That has built up more than a century of resentments which could be coming home to roost if the attitude doesn't change there.

Charleston is not one of the growing areas.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM

6,010 posts, read 9,007,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The ghetto of a nice area... interesting that you would make that comment.

Martinsburg's archetecture is second only to Wheeling in the state. Nearly the whole town has amazing historic structures.
Martinsburg has some nice structures, and some really ghetto neighborhoods too! Martinsburg architecture is not even in my top 3, more like 5

Charleston
Wheeling
Harpers Ferry
Lewisburg
Martinsburg

Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM

6,010 posts, read 9,007,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

If you'd read my posts there are examples! Shools, highways, and development grants!

If you're so upset about not getting funding for your city, then why don't you call your local rep and ask him/her to do the best they can! Instead of coming on a forum and complaining that "The city of Charleston" has something to do with your city's problems!

I will say again, you have reps that probably aren't doing their jobs! It is their responsibility to look out for your area, not the reps for Charleston!

My city is not dispicable, you should change your attitude towards things you have no relationship with!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:35 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,868,811 times
The state of WV does not fund cities and it severely limits how they can raise money. No city should be blaming Charleston for not being funded but they should be asking for home rule to be able to rule themselves as needed financially.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
If you'd read my posts there are examples! Shools, highways, and development grants!

If you're so upset about not getting funding for your city, then why don't you call your local rep and ask him/her to do the best they can! Instead of coming on a forum and complaining that "The city of Charleston" has something to do with your city's problems!

I will say again, you have reps that probably aren't doing their jobs! It is their responsibility to look out for your area, not the reps for Charleston!

My city is not dispicable, you should change your attitude towards things you have no relationship with!
Our reps are overruled by the Charleston-Huntington-Southern WV alliance.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Charleston is responsible for a lot of Morgantown's problems. The city of Charleston receives 20x more funding than they bring, deserve, and need.

Morgantown and Martinsburg give more money to Charleston than they get in return, and they only get a fraction of what they deserve and need.

So people in economically productive areas of the state are getting tired of Charleston screwing them over. Your city literally steals money from Morgantown to build things Charleston doesnt need. Charleston is the problem. Even Charleston's theft cannot save it. The end is coming soon. It appears you are young. You will live to see the fall of Charleston and the rise of Morgantown. Unfortunately you will probably remain bitter, instead of realizing the reasons why Charleston destroyed itself.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think you meant to say Morgantown and Martinsburg. But, the winds they are a changin'. I think it is fair to say that in much of the state there is far from a favorable impression of our capitol city, which almost from the very beginning has taken advantage of the fact that our peripheral towns (Wheeling, Huntington, Parkersburg, Morgantown, Martinsburg) are located near state lines and thus their populatons spill over into other states. That, giving them a higher "in state" population mass has enabled them to rape and pillage the rest of the state almost at will. That has built up more than a century of resentments which could be coming home to roost if the attitude doesn't change there.

Charleston is not one of the growing areas.
Yeah, I meant Martinsburg and not Charleston. Martinsburg is robbed just as bad as Morgantown is by Charleston. We both know the future of Charleston is not bright. Power is shifting to where the people are moving, and waning where the people are dying and fleeing from (Charleston). In the future Charleston will only get its fair share of the funding, which will be a big decrease from its bloated overfunded budget.

CTMountaineer you seem like someone who knows what is up. Anyone with half a brain can see Morgantown is the future of WV. The hostility you receive is from the jealous who can see the change coming, but want to deny it or try and stop it. People from Charleston have a sense of entitlement that they deserve the best and the most. When they are left to fend for themselves it wont be pretty. The smart and productive will move north.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The state of WV does not fund cities and it severely limits how they can raise money. No city should be blaming Charleston for not being funded but they should be asking for home rule to be able to rule themselves as needed financially.
The thing that would help most of the state would be much more local autonomy and less state government. That goes for taxes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia