Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM

415 posts, read 802,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB banjo picker View Post
why don't both of you start your own little thread - charleston vs morgantown and stay the hell out of every other thread. HINT: both of you are idiots.

Agreed, things are out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Agreed, things are out of hand.
This topic is not about Morgantown, but it is somewhat about Charleston since the op went to Alaska to avoid having to go Charleston. Chris is the one making this Morgantown vs Charleston. A poster asked why people didn't like Charleston in relation to the op and - gave an honest answer. I didn't even put Charleston down, but since I didn't lie about how great Charleston is chris got upset and started another one of his Morgantown vs Charleston threads.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Your posts are not supported by fact, but speculations! You can't provide individual examples of how Morganton is "more high class" than Charleston! all you can say is that you get somehow more!

You call my posts stubborn, self-rightous, and delusional, by when you say things like "The Capitol Building is the uglist I've seen" i don't have to say much more! it is obvious that you are not classy enough to reconize true beauty and culture! Our capital building is reguarded as one of the best in the nation! Fact!

I really think you should start visiting another forum, maybe one that you can say off the wall comments in. Because this forum might not be for you, or your idiot posts!
Chris you need to calm down. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you should start acting like a child and throwing insults. Your manners show that you are the one who lacks sophistication. In life Chris you aren't always going to get your way, so stop getting mad at me for telling the truth.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont blame you. Id rather go to Somali than Charleston.
your first post on this thread!

I'd say it is you that started this!

same as every other thread in this forum that has been poluted by your ridiculous trash!

how old are you?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:58 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB banjo picker View Post
why don't both of you start your own little thread - charleston vs morgantown and stay the hell out of every other thread. HINT: both of you are idiots.
That's your contribution, to call people idiots? In fact, I haven't seen you make any positive contributions anywhere. Why don't you "stay the hell out of every ... thread" until you can contribute something to the conversation. It might be that the thread has gotten out of hand, but calling people names is not called for.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Your posts are not supported by fact, but speculations! You can't provide individual examples of how Morganton is "more high class" than Charleston! all you can say is that you get somehow more!

You call my posts stubborn, self-rightous, and delusional, by when you say things like "The Capitol Building is the uglist I've seen" i don't have to say much more! it is obvious that you are not classy enough to reconize true beauty and culture! Our capital building is reguarded as one of the best in the nation! Fact!

I really think you should start visiting another forum, maybe one that you can say off the wall comments in. Because this forum might not be for you, or your idiot posts!
I don't want to argue, but let me provide a few facts:

Morgantown is not a "high class" place. It is basically a college town, and that is just the way those of us who live here want it to stay. There is not a part of our town that you visit where you don't see improvement and development taking place. In that regard, it is essentially unique in the state, and rare in the country these days.

Charleston has some nice cultural events, but not at the level you find them in Morgantown. Both towns have Broadway plays, but Morgantown has more of them. Charleston has a symphony, Morgantown has The University Symphony and also multiple performances by the Pittsburgh Symphony, as well as performances by the Wheeling Symphony and the Charleston Symphony. In addition, we have the Morgantown Municipal Band (a combined professional/amateur organization. We also have vitrually continuous arts performances through The University as well as The West Virginia Public Theater. Mountain Stage has their best attended performances here.

The Cultural Center in Charleston is nice, but it was built with state funds. Most of our facilities are either privately owned, or University owned and thus built largely through donations. The Civic Center does not really compare with The Coliseum. Laidley Field is a mere fraction of Mountaineer Field.
The State Capitol is indeed a beautiful building, but then so is Woodburn Hall, and the Capitol does not even come close to the grandeur of the view from Coopers Rock.

Charleston has Coonskin Park, and it's nice. Morgantown has Marilla Park, Dorsey's Knob, and basically right out the back door Cheat Lake and more than 17,000 acres of pristine forest. And, no offense to State, but you don't really want to compare that to WVU.

Charleston has no proximity to largely populated areas. Morgantown is just a skip and a jump from one, and a hop, skip, and a jump from another, but we have that proximity without an overly urban character and the negative aspects associated with that.

Our area is experiencing steady growth. Charleston is at best static. There are reasons for those conditions. Our area is simply considered more desirable as a place to be located and has basically developed that trait through internal effort. The other area has largely an entitlement attitude and looks to the rest of the state as a cash cow to exploit. You're never going to attain real growth and prosperity with that mindset.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
your first post on this thread!

I'd say it is you that started this!

same as every other thread in this forum that has been poluted by your ridiculous trash!

how old are you?
How old am I? 26. How old are you?

All I did was express a preference. I prefeer X to Y. My preferences represent only me. Your whole beef with me seems to be because I committed thought crime by having a view you dont like and want to censor. What do you care what I think? Expressing my preferences isnt grounds for a fight. That is why I think you are narrow minded. You get so angry if someone says something that challenges your view on things. Personally I embrace having a broader view on things and having my beliefs challenged.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:00 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Sorry guys. I turned down a job in Charleston. I just wasn't going to be happy doing that kind of work.

Instead, I took a job in.... Alaska!

You're all welcome to come visit any time!
Congrats! My sister and her family have been in Alaska for over 20 years and absolutely love it! We'll be heading up there before too long to visit.

If you need a winter retreat, drop on south to Montana and enjoy a warm spell!

Man the west is awesome! I live 10 miles North of the downtown capitol of Montana and it is sweet!! Pronghorns and big whitetails in the field in front of me, mule deer and elk in the hills behind me.

Here's the lake in front of our house (Lake Helena). Late June and the Elkhorns still with very, very deep snow! Rainbow fishing is spectacular as well! We have Kokanee in some of the waterways too, however a lot of folks here head over to Washington and Oregon for the salmon spawn.

You are going to LOVE Alaska. A lot of folks I know assume 'east coasters' have a tough time adapting, but coming from WV to MT is like wearing an old glove- I'm sure you'll fit in to AK wilderness as well! Good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Not moving to WV-kids-lake-helena.jpg   Not moving to WV-zach-rainbow.jpg  

Old 08-01-2011, 12:22 PM

413 posts, read 938,172 times
Yeah, y'all really dragged my thread down through the mud.

No fun.

Thanks Threerun, I'm pretty excited. Well, no, right now I'm nervous. In the mean-time, I have to move from Southern Illinois, back to Michigan, and then to Alaska (don't ask, long story). But once I get there, I'm sure I'll be excited! There's just a lot of mud to slog through to get there.

This time next month, I should be somewhere on the Alaska Highway, well on my way through Canada! Hopefully I don't have to camp all the way up there.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Why not camp? Adds to the adventure! I want to ride a 250cc dual sport to AK someday along the ALCAN highway. A real iron butt adventure, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia