Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Morgantown has better employment opportunities, and only the folks in Clayton are tobacco chewing rednecks, but he's an American citizen. He can live wherever he chooses to live.
Yeah - there might be a couple more unemployed here - but us rednecks make a lot more money than the hillbillies in morgantown - lot of trash collection and lawn mowing jobs in Motown.

Clayton Avg Household Income = $70,007
Raleigh/Cary MSA Avg Household Income = $77,700
Morgantown Avg. Household Income = $52,002

.....and don't tell me how the cost of living is cheaper in Motown - it's not - it's higher (how much is a gallon of gas? a pack of chewing tobacco or cigarettes? how much are them houses out toward cheat lake?)

Last edited by RVAtoCNC; 07-31-2011 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Yeah - there might be a couple more unemployed here - but us rednecks make a lot more money than the hillbillies in morgantown - lot of trash collection and lawn mowing jobs in Motown.

Clayton Avg Household Income = $70,007
Raleigh/Cary MSA Avg Household Income = $77,700
Morgantown Avg. Household Income = $52,002

.....and don't tell me how the cost of living is cheaper in Motown - it's not - it's higher (how much is a gallon of gas? a pack of chewing tobacco or cigarettes? how much are them houses out toward cheat lake?)
Impressive incomes to be certain, but you forgot to mention that our 52k figures include 15,000 college students making minimum wage at part time jobs. For full time residents, the household income is much higher. Unfortunately, Labor Dept. statistics do not have the ability to differentiate.

They are, however, trying to make smoking illegal in any public place in Monongalia County. I strongly disagree with that. Not that I think smoking is a good thing. I think it is plain stupid, but I believe people should be free to choose for themselves, even if they choose to do something stupid. You do have cheaper cigarettes in Clayton. You also have Bubba Smith as a unique cultural icon.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Impressive incomes to be certain, but you forgot to mention that our 52k figures include 15,000 college students making minimum wage at part time jobs. For full time residents, the household income is much higher. Unfortunately, Labor Dept. statistics do not have the ability to differentiate.

They are, however, trying to make smoking illegal in any public place in Monongalia County. I strongly disagree with that. Not that I think smoking is a good thing. I think it is plain stupid, but I believe people should be free to choose for themselves, even if they choose to do something stupid. You do have cheaper cigarettes in Clayton. You also have Bubba Smith as a unique cultural icon.
Actually im all for a smoking ban. I agree with you that it does take away peoples rights, but I dont smoke and hate smelling like cigarette.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:

I don't believe the census data gathers employment/income data from non-resident students - it would only include students who have declared residency in Monongalia Co.

Don't know Bubba - but the new American Idol - Scotty McCreery - is from Garner - about 5 miles up the road.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I don't believe the census data gathers employment/income data from non-resident students - it would only include students who have declared residency in Monongalia Co.
Nope, they get that data from a far more reliable source... the IRS. And, that includes everyone's income. They just merely divide that income by the number of individuals filing returns and multiply by the average number of individuals per household, and whala... a basically inaccurate depiction, but one that does include all the money made in an area.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Nope, they get that data from a far more reliable source... the IRS. And, that includes everyone's income. They just merely divide that income by the number of individuals filing returns and multiply by the average number of individuals per household, and whala... a basically inaccurate depiction, but one that does include all the money made in an area.
Many students don't even earn enough to have to file, and most of their earnings are at "home" during the summer. I do not believe the majority of students are averaged in to Morgantown's statistics as it would so seriously skew the results they would be worthless - like saying Motowns unemployment rate is 50% (because most students do not work full time)

Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Many students don't even earn enough to have to file, and most of their earnings are at "home" during the summer. I do not believe the majority of students are averaged in to Morgantown's statistics as it would so seriously skew the results they would be worthless - like saying Motowns unemployment rate is 50% (because most students do not work full time)
In college towns, those statistics are basically worthless. They get their information from sources other than just the returned forms in matters other than purely populational ones, believing it makes for more accurate data. That is only partly true. Like most government programs, there are significant flaws. Take Clayton for example... there is just no way the folks there are as retarded as they say. You guys seem fairly smart to me.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
In college towns, those statistics are basically worthless. They get their information from sources other than just the returned forms in matters other than purely populational ones, believing it makes for more accurate data. That is only partly true. Like most government programs, there are significant flaws. Take Clayton for example... there is just no way the folks there are as retarded as they say. You guys seem fairly smart to me.
here's a guy from a state with most obesity, the least number of teeth, greatest tobacco use - making fun of a city in the triangle area of No. Carolina - an area selected by Forbes magazine as the #1 location in America for business and employment for 2011 - uhhh - Motown may have been on the list - waaaaay down - maybe toward the bottom

Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
here's a guy from a state with most obesity, the least number of teeth, greatest tobacco use - making fun of a city in the triangle area of No. Carolina - an area selected by Forbes magazine as the #1 location in America for business and employment for 2011 - uhhh - Motown may have been on the list - waaaaay down - maybe toward the bottom
#1 with an almost 10% unemployment rate? Clayton? Really? Who did you bribe for that one?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
It isnt Forbes, but Forbes have praised Morgantown in the past, but this source list Morgantown as #24 small city in nation for job growth.

eography.com/content/002209-small-cities-rankings-2011-best-cities-job-growth (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia