Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM

59 posts, read 179,424 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have been searching posts to find information on Millwood, West Virginia and have come up empty. Anyone care to fill me in? Any and all info will be useful (we are moving once again for my husbands work and this is one of three places that we will be deciding between). We have 4 dogs and a $800 per month budget for a house rental, is that at all realistic? What are the people like? The scenery? Is there a swimable lake near there? Is it a sleepy town? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotoday View Post
Hi - I have been searching posts to find information on Millwood, West Virginia and have come up empty. Anyone care to fill me in? Any and all info will be useful (we are moving once again for my husbands work and this is one of three places that we will be deciding between). We have 4 dogs and a $800 per month budget for a house rental, is that at all realistic? What are the people like? The scenery? Is there a swimable lake near there? Is it a sleepy town? Thank you.
Millwood is a suburb to the towns of Ripley and Ravenswood. It's the location of the Burlingame Business Park, Alcan Rolled Products and the new site of the WV Army National Guard Center. It's definately a sleepy bedroom community. Located on the Ohio River, has easy interstate access to I-77 if you take Route 33 East 5 miles. Ripley is also nearby, where there is plenty of dining and shopping for a small, WV town.

You should easily be able to rent for that price. I would check in Evans, which has lot's of newer housing and is just a couple of miles from Ripley, and will be right in between Millwood and the interstate.

The people of Jackson County are friendly as long as you are a fairly approachable person yourself. There used to be some swimable lakes, such as O'Brien Lake out Statts Mill. But can be dangerous and i would discourage it anymore.

The scenery is divided. The Western part of the county near the Ohio River is flatter, and has more usable farm land. The middle part of the county has more rolling hills, and valleys. The southern and eastern part of the county begins to have steeper inclines, and a little higher elevation the closer you get to Kanawha County. Overall, Jackson County has the lowest "mean" elevation in the state.

Last edited by Silkdashocker; 07-26-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
Definitely not much in Millwood. I would agree that Evans would be a bedroom community and be closer to activities. Ravenswood is also an option. Housing may be easier to find and better priced in Ravenswood.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Definitely not much in Millwood. I would agree that Evans would be a bedroom community and be closer to activities. Ravenswood is also an option. Housing may be easier to find and better priced in Ravenswood.
Indeed, Ravenswood does have some decent affordable housing. I figure many of them would be vacant due to the job loss in the area.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM

59 posts, read 179,424 times
thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia