Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
We were camping at Blackwater Falls, and decided to drive down for "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" (being of that generation). It was well worth the trip.

I don't know how many the Opera House holds, but it was close to capacity that night.

But talk about a missed business opportunity! Two to three hundred thirsty (and possibly hungry) play patrons are going to be getting out of the Opera House about 9:30pm, and the little restaurant/snack bar right across the street closed up its doors at 9!.

Same thing in Lewisburg. There will be a couple of bars up the street open, but there is a coffee/pastry/cafe right next door that will be closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 23,323 times
Ouch! Extended hours during events might be worth looking into for them.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,975 times
Default marlington

Have visited there numorous times over the last 15 yrs or so. Use to stay there at a local motel while visiting Cass railroad. That whole area is starved for after hours places to eat etc. By after hours i mean after 5pm! lol might be worth looking into.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Good info, thank you!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
To get back to the original question, here are a couple of ideas.

On vacation recently, we visited Mt. Airy, NC (aka "Mayberry"). Lots of downtown businesses dedicated to separating tourists from their dollars. There were several stores (often with "Emporium" as part of their name) that sold an eclectic mix of items geared to the tourist trade. I don't think Marlinton has anything similar.

Within a single store would be a small coffee bar, out-of-town newspapers, books and CDs/DVDs (strong on local/regional history and culture, plus vacation type fiction, nothing serious, literature wise), jellies, jams and other edibles, T-shirts and other clothing, plus earrings, pendants and other trinkets. Promote the hell out of it (signs along 219, 39, 55, etc.).

The other idea is one that David Kennedy and I developed on this forum two or three years ago. This might tie nicely into your photography interests. This is a screen printing business for locally-themed T-shirts and similar items. In addition to directly selling these items, you could wholesale to other retailers, as well as do shirts for the school band, athletic teams, play casts, staff of the Road Kill Cookoff, custom stuff for Snowshoe, etc. You could photograph various interesting places (Cass, the Marlinton Depot, the Opera House, the Pocahontas Times building, the CCC statue at Watoga, the fire tower on Droop Mountain, etc.) and have unique products.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM

I was wondering if there were any "gift shop" type places in Marlinton. I saw there were some flea markets, but was thinking along the lines you are speaking of. The shirts are a good idea. The restaurant thing is definitely a niche, but after 15 years in the business I don't know if that's what I want! Lol. Since we homeschool I need something that correlates well and incorporates what we do anyway. Is there enough tourist traffic through Marlinton to support a business of that nature? I wonder why there are not any such places there already is why I ask.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 AM

4 posts, read 12,977 times
You have to understand that there is a different attitude here...people don't come here to make a lot of money, it's about quality of life. Personally, it frustrates me no end that businesses don't keep consistent hours...how can I refer customers to them if I don't know whether or not they will be open??? And why even start a business if you are not going to give it 110%??? But it is one of the little "quirks" about Marlinton that you have to learn to deal with if you want to be here to enjoy all the good stuff. And there's plenty of that!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM

We aren't looking to make a ton of money, just enough to make it and live doing something we enjoy. I want to contribute to the community that so overwhelmingly influenced our family with the attitude you speak of. I do not want to try to bring something to the community that doesn't fit or isn't needed, which is why I am trying to gather as much information as possible. We are not afraid of work, quite the opposite, we just want to make sure the path we choose fits us and the community, and we are also thinking of our children's future and why we are moving there in the first place. I would like to stay away from the restaurant business, and I would like to incorporate literacy/education and history. I wouldn't be opposed to serving beverages like coffee and tea. Is there a used bookstore? I love old books and history, American and local history specifically. I tutor and babysit; the future of our (collectively, not just mine) youth is a very important to me. It doesn't take much for us to live on, like you said it is the quality of life we are looking for. Walmart and the almighty dollar reign in our town, and we just don't like that kind of environment for us or for the future of our children. If you are not a chain you will not make it here.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclarkinn View Post
We are part of a group called gomarlinton.com. Take a look at the web site and you are welcome to give us a call 304-799-6377. We can always use some new blood in town and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Nelson
I visited your site and it was very helpful. I joined the Go Marlinton Flickr group as 1life81 and posted some photos from our trip. I have more to come, but none can compare to actually being there.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
I'll be passing through Marlington tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on places to stop for a break?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia