Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 PM

9 posts, read 23,299 times

Advertisements

Our family decided we are going to make the move to Marlinton after a visit to the area. I've been researching the area, and this forum is part of that research. Any helpful hints on moving out of state/to marlinton specifically, jobs, what kind of shops/local businesses have popped up in the last couple years, or any other information would be helpful. We homeschool, so I'm not overly interested in the school system but would appreciate any other homeschooling family's input.
Thank you,
Roxy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,959 times
What made you decide to move to marlinton? Huge potential for starting a small business but not a lot of other job opportunities. We moved here in 2004 from NC.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
GVT's play at the Opera House sounds good. How are things in Marlington this summer?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 AM

Actually the Opera House has a number of good shows scheduled this season. Pocahontas County Opera House - The Cultural Heart of the Community
Things are great here, as always, cooler and quieter than most places!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 AM

We were so taken by the demeanor of the people and the simple way of life. It is exactly what we have been wanting and missing. We are simple, down to earth people and the slower pace we found in Marlinton gave us a peace that we simply cannot grasp here where we are. The constant struggle to just make it here is no way to live. Everything is grossly expensive. We pay double in rent for a lesser quality home, not to mention the price of groceries, etc. We are tossing around ideas for a business of our own, which is why I wondered about what sort of things are there now since it's been a couple years since our visit. I write and practice photography since I'm home with the children, and I've had a candle making business on hold now for awhile. What is the shop rent like there? There really isn't a question of whether or not we will move there, it is a matter of when .

Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM

We are part of a group called gomarlinton.com. Take a look at the web site and you are welcome to give us a call 304-799-6377. We can always use some new blood in town and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Nelson

Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Thank you very much, Nelson. I will be in touch.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
I think if you have skills in areas related to tourism it might be helpful? Cooking, hotel work, business ability to start small businesses. Pocahontas is absolutely beautiful. I saw the view from the top of Snowshoe at dusk recently... unbelievable.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Thank you for the information. The more I find out the more Marlinton sounds like a good fit.

I have several beautiful pictures from when we visited and none can possibly do justice to the breathtaking views. I fully intend to have an awe-inspiring view from at least one angle of my future home on a mountain there some day .

Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
GVT's play at the Opera House sounds good. How are things in Marlington this summer?
We were camping at Blackwater Falls, and decided to drive down for "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" (being of that generation). It was well worth the trip.

I don't know how many the Opera House holds, but it was close to capacity that night.

But talk about a missed business opportunity! Two to three hundred thirsty (and possibly hungry) play patrons are going to be getting out of the Opera House about 9:30pm, and the little restaurant/snack bar right across the street closed up its doors at 9!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia